In which X'o'Lore talks too much about random tech things

edited October 2014 in Tech
So I feel like talking about random computer technology stuffs now and then. Maybe some of you are interested? I don't know.

For tonight, I have browsers on the brain. I did some benchmarking.

browser_bench.png

(A link to my session is here, but any one can run more benchmarks on that session and mess up the results so maybe they've changed from the picture)

These are interesting scores to be sure. I'm not sure many people are even aware of the raw difference in speed from one browser to the next. Realistically, the bandwidth of one's internet connection is often a bigger speed bottleneck than the browser, but on the other hand, fast broadband connections and highly active client-side code has been on the rise. I know this. I've written such code.

IE really looks terrible. No surprise there. Lots of people complain about IE. It probably doesn't deserve the market share it has, but then for a base standard browser security is a big concern and IE is probably more secure than some people give it credit for. Still it's a lame dinosaur. IE9 is in the works. Perhaps that will pull IE into this competition for real. It's been looking promising.

Firefox really doesn't seem like the champ it once was. Maybe some people would be surprised by this. It's not the fastest by any metric and it comes stock with fewer features than almost any other browser. Well, maybe not less than IE. I'm not sure. Still, people cling to it if only because of the unmatched plugin system or the great customization options. Firefox did great things for browsers, but it's showing it's age. The next version can't come soon enough. They got big plans I know, but this is an old favorite that's really been looking unimpressive lately. Version 4 is in the works though and hopefully it will bring some much needed thunder.

Safari? Eh. It's fairly fast, but not the fastest. It's got some nice features, but nothing really standout in my mind anymore. I'm not exactly a big Apple fan so I haven't used it outside of testing purposes though. It wasn't too long ago they were making a push in the browser speed race. It seems they've slacked.

Chrome is interesting. Lots of neat things going on, and it's fast. Can't argue with that. Personally, I can't abide by the lack of customization though. Can't change what buttons you have or where they are and such. This is the fastest growing browser today. I think it's surpassed Safari. Number 3 it be. It's a long way to number 2 though, so we'll see. For computer-stupid people, this may be the browser of choice though. Quite simple.

Opera. What can I say? I used it for a while and can't seem to get away from it now. As the chart shows, it made even the mighty Chrome give up the crown in the speed war. Not sure how that happened, but here we are. I wouldn't doubt Google will find a way to take it back, but I can't imagine there's much they can do to speed things up more than they already have. I doubt they'll beat Opera by much anymore. Other big wins for Opera are in customization and features. This is actually where I get trapped with Opera. I simply can't modify other browsers to do all the crazy stuff I've done with this browser. I'm actually a bit astonished it has such a small marketshare for what is quite possibly the best browser.

I'd wonder what others think of their browsers. Why do you use what you use?

EDIT: removed comment about FF not being memory efficient. Among the browsers in question it is likely the most memory efficient at this time.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Firefox is not getting along with my desktop and Windows 7. It gets retarded slow and freezes often, even though my computer has more than enough muscle to handle it.

So I use Opera, although it still gives me problems with flash viewing and Adobe and stuff. Sometimes when I try and watch Daily Show or Colbert Report, the video player doesn't load correctly, and the fullscreen function doesn't work. Sometimes refreshing the page works.

I blame Windows7. My crappy laptop with XP and 3gb memory can run 20 Firefox tabs like a champ. Windows7 and Firefox shits at 2.
  • edited September 2010
    Thats sort of curious. The Opera stuff is not new to me. Small marketshare means sites often don't support it. It can be a bit flaky in the current versions. I guess a browser that seems almost too good would have some issues.

But Firefox working poorly in Windows 7, but nicely in XP seems odd.
  • edited September 2010
    I've been a Safari user ever since its release. I've heard of it having performance issues on PCs, but on the Mac it runs quick and smoothly and I no longer run into site compatibility issues. And I do very much enjoy its features and tight integration into the OS and with other applications. Again, that's on a Mac, so YMMV.
  • edited September 2010
    I've been using Opera for years. I've found it to be the easiest to customise to the way I like it.

Plus I can be an internet hipster. "Oh, I use Opera, you probably haven't heard of them, but they're really great". Mmmm. Sense of superiority.
  • edited September 2010
    I've used Firefox for years mostly because I don't do a lot with customization and it works well enough for me. I'm probably one of the more tech-dumb members of the Belt. Perhaps when I get some free time (heh) I'll experiment with Opera.
  • edited September 2010
    But what about Netscape?
  • edited September 2010
    Trying to be a smartass huh? Well, there are some things to know about Netscape, Mrs. Cat. One is that it's no longer in development and hasn't been for some time. Two is that it's basically a rebrand of an old version of Firefox in its latest iterations.

Have a look:
    browser_bench2.png

Overall impression: Good god! Why are you still using this? It even has a permanent prompt urging you to switch to Firefox built right in.
  • edited September 2010
    I would have switched to Opera ages ago, but I've already got all my bookmarks and everything set in Firefox and it actually works (Unlike IE) so whatever.
  • edited September 2010
    Opera can import bookmarks from Firefox, IE, and Konqueror. Doesn't matter though. If you like Firefox, you can stick with it. You'll have 4.0 soon enough. It's not looking like a huge speed boost, but it'll bring some neat stuff anyway.
  • edited September 2010
    Yeah I know it does it automatically, but it's still takes even the smallest amount of effort.

I'd have to like, look up the site, and hit the download button, and I mean, come on. You can't honestly expect me to do all that.
  • edited September 2010
    Firefox never really worked well on my computer. Chrome was nice but I have found I like Opera much better.
  • edited September 2010
    The irony is there was a time I tried to switch from Opera back to Firefox because Opera was looking a bit slow and old. Things sure can change fast sometimes.

But! I am a manic reader of tech news and I've got new, different things on the brain this night! Processors! So AMD had bought ATI some...4 years ago? And back then they said, "Hey! Dudes! We could, like, put a CPU and a GPU together. On the same chip. Wouldn't that be totally sweet!?" And the people of the world did verily scratch their heads and shrug. So anyways, they called this idea "Fusion" and put down a date. 2008 or maybe 2009 they said. In a case of Duke Nukem Forever Syndrome, it never happened. BUT! Possibly like DNF, this much delayed concept will be coming soon. Not just from AMD but also "Me Too" copycat Intel.

In the Intel corner they have code name "Sandy Bridge". This is a next generation processor with a built in Intel graphics core. I know what your thinking. Intel graphics suck. Seriously though, for what might be the first time ever, Intel seems like they might actually take graphics somewhat seriously. They'll be able to achieve double the performance of the GPU's taped to the Core i3/5 processors that came out earlier this year. Those are in the same ballpark as AMD's current integrated graphics. Granted AMD's integrated graphics haven't seen a performance increase in a few years, but that's something. At double that performance level Intel's integrated could actually match the slowest current Radeon card for performance. That's not too shabby for something that you basically get for free. Shit could get interesting.

On the AMD side, They got a few code names floating around for Fusion projects. One is called "Llano" which will feature a quad-core processor based on AMD's current Phenom II architecture or so I hear. It'll also have graphics performance that'll make Intel's Sandy Bridge parts cry, but not really enough for anyone who actually likes playing nice PC games on big screens. The down side is that this one is running behind. It's supposed to be built on a new fabrication process compliments of Global Foundries (there's another story there), but they wanted a couple extra months to work the kinks out on that. Just as well. I'm not sure if people will value the superior built-in graphics enough to consider this over Sandy Bridge which will no doubt have better CPU power.

So AMD's first-out-the-gate Fusion is going to be "Ontario" which will be made compliments of TSMC on a somewhat less awesome fabrication process that's primarily used for modern graphics cards at this time. Specs suggest this will be a netbook part to compete against Intel's Atom processors. They also suggest it could fare quite well against the sluggish Atom. There's also a faster version that will aim a little higher, but I suspect as it enters the territory of Intel's CULV platform, it'll face some tougher competition. Some curiosities here is that the processor portion of these parts will be based on AMD's new "bobcat" architecture. A low power deal much like Intel's Atom. Also, these will be the first x86 processors built by TSMC. (yet another story)

It'll be interesting to see what comes of all of this.
  • edited September 2010
    Browser updates:
    [Chrome 6.0.472.55] -> 8036
    [Opera 10.62] -> 6392

As expected, Google wouldn't stand to sit in second on speed. It's the main selling point of their browser. Opera meanwhile slipped back a bit. Goes to show how fast stuff can change. This is only one benchmark and not too scientific (I have other programs running). Just gotta get Firefox 4 in there when it's out.
  • edited September 2010
    I use Firefox because it has the coolest name. Opera is a terrible name, even if it is the only browser with full .svg support.
  • edited September 2010
    .svg support is important? Well, no need to change browsers. Firefox did much for browsers and for a time Opera looked kinda lame too. I'm kinda curious how people will like Firefox 4.0.

On a different note Google's new instant search is creepy but fun. It's a piece of tech from Google Wave which is now slated for the chopping block at years end. So yeah. Apparently we never used Wave? And nobody else did either so it seems.
  • edited September 2010
    Our group project used it for about a week. And yeah, .svg support is completely unimportant. I thought about putting my comics up in .svg format so you could zoom in indefinitely, but the inability to embed fonts means it's pretty much crap.
  • edited September 2010
    What the hell was Wave? I was never able to figure out what that thing was for (although I didn't really try too hard.)
  • edited September 2010
    From what I gathered, kinda like facebook, except that ANYONE could edit ANYTHING you said.
  • edited September 2010
    I still use Firefox. I've never had any browser issues and I do enjoy the plug-ins so I've felt no need to switch. Or, I may be having browser issues and just assumed it was my computer. It's 8 years old.
  • edited September 2010
    8 years...jesus christ. If you had said 7 years, but 8? That's before USB2. That's before SATA. That's not even AGP 8x let alone PCI express. I'd die if I was stuck with that.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm stuck with something similar. I've upgraded my motherboard, graphics card, and memory since I got this computer about 7 years ago, but the processor and hard drive are still the same. 2.4 GhZ and 80 GB of space. I have to be very picky with what stays on my computer.
  • edited September 2010
    7 years old with 2.4Ghz? Sounds like my old computer. If it is indeed a new Pentium 4-based comp from 2003 with an upgraded motherboard, you quite likely have some SATA ports, so for $60-70 you could possibly be rockin' a terabyte. Best part is that if you upgraded your computer you could just pull that drive out, plug it into the new system and you'd have an extra terabyte and all the data you had on it already there on your new system.

That may just be my line of thinking though. With larger drives, backups become a bit trickier. The only real way to backup data if you start getting that much is with another harddrive.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm downloading updated graphics drivers via steam. This is a new thing. I guess I'll see how well this works. I might screw up my computer for a bit if it doesn't work out well.

EDIT: Mission successful. Neato.
  • edited September 2010
    Steam does drivers now? Impressive.
  • edited September 2010
    I believe its only with ATi at the moment. I thought it was pretty neat as well!
  • edited September 2010
    ATi. Yes, they have a fairly regular monthly release schedule for graphics drivers. They are also not going to be ATi anymore in the future just as a heads up. They'll be going with AMD. AMD bought ATi back in '06 ya know. Don't worry, they'll still keep the radeon brand around.

I'd be curious how nVidia will respond to this steam deal. I haven't caught word of any response yet.
  • edited September 2010
    Meh, I let HP Health Check find all my drivers for me anyway.
  • edited September 2010
    Pffft. Who actually leaves HP's crapware on their computer, let alone uses it? It probably doesn't even keep your graphics drivers updated anyway. Unless you have Intel graphics. Then it doesn't matter 'cause then the graphics are cruddy anyway. Drivers won't make them not cruddy. It would be Windows Update that updates your graphics drivers for you in that case as well.
  • edited September 2010
    It does keep my graphics card updated; there isn't an Intel thing in my computer at all; and I don't find HP's software half bad, granted I haven't used anything else except the tablet software (cause I have a tablet laptop).

Edit: Whoop, maybe it doesn't update my graphics card, ah well, still faster then looking for them all myself.
  • edited September 2010
    Can someone explain this to me? To me this seems like they are holding full hardware capability at a ransom, but maybe I just don't understand the technology well enough.

Intel Processor Performance Upgrade Card Boosts Your Chip For $50
    A sharp-eyed reader noticed an interesting item at Best Buy recently, namely a $50 Processor Performance Upgrade Card from Intel that will allow you to unlock some extra threads and cache on the new Pentium G6951 processor. Chip manufacturers often sell hardware-locked chips as lower-end processors and this $50 code will allow you to enable the full 1MB of L3 cache on the processor along with HyperThreading support, which would be a noticeable improvement. The rollout isn't a full launch yet and is currently limited to a small pilot program in parts of Canada, the Netherlands, Spain, and the US. Such a move might be useful to folks who recently purchased a notebook using that processor but realized that they needed a little more processing grunt. Of course, not everybody would be willing to shell out $50 extra in order to bump the speed of their budget notebook, so it remains to be seen how response to such a program will be.