Looking for unruled composition books.

edited April 2008 in 6:35
Hey, I need some help. For some reason, I have this huge hangup about requiring an unlined, stitched composition book (of the mottled cover variety) upon which to jot all of my comics ideas, write scripts, etc. The trouble is that I have not seen one in 6 months, and my old one is full. I've tried a lined book, a lined/quad book, even a fancypants sketchbook, and they all just don't really do it for me. I've searched all the office supply stores in the area, and have just spent about an hour online looking for them. Does anyone know where I can find one?

ETA: My previous one is a Roaring Spring book, number 77261.
And Mario just turned up a myspace page lamenting the disappearance of unruled composition books, so it isn't just me. I suspect a conspiracy by those Moleskine people.

Comments

• edited January 2007
    By stitched, you mean this kind of notebook?

000.gif

It also happens to say unruled, but I already checked the mead website, and they don't seem to have that number anymore either.

But that's what you mean by stitched, right?
  • edited January 2007
    Yes. That's the kind.

My god, why did I not buy like a billion of them two years ago.
  • edited January 2007
    fogive me, but what is unruled? Does that mean no lines at all?
  • edited January 2007
    Bleh. Just checked a few popular supply stores online and they have nothing like that. But they do have unruled calendars! -_-

There's probably some obscure brand out there that no one has heard of, its just a matter of finding it.

Damn, Amazon has pages and pages of ruled books, and eBay had like two entries (eBay came up in the searches so I figured what the hell) that don't tell you about the ruling of the pages. But I'll pass this on to some other artists I know and see if they know where to find one. As for me, bedtime. Good luck!
  • edited January 2007
    Yeah, Behemoth. No lines. They used to be reasonably easy to find, but now there's nothing.

MJC, thanks for looking around-- I can pretty much guarantee that the composition books with unspecified rulings are wide rule. Stupid wide rule. It's totally for peasants.

...what time zone are you in?
  • jcjc
    edited January 2007
    http://www.gramcoonline.com/1160/supplies/item.html

Bottom link, $1.30 each ($1.15 each for orders of more than 72)
  • edited January 2007
    Now that's what I call a bargain!
  • edited January 2007
    Wow, how did you find it?

Also: Arghhh! Minimum purchase of $25.00 required!
  • jcjc
    edited January 2007
    sorry... I'll keep looking.
  • edited January 2007
    I've come to understand that they are still rather commonplace in England, if you can find an online store that has decent shipping prices.
    You can pick them up quite reasonably at stationery shops, places like Woolworths and WHSmith have them, if they exist in America. Though I think pretty much any stationary shop would have them..

I don't have time to check any online sites for these places right now, as I'm about to run off to work, but this is what I've found out.

EDIT: I'll see if I can get some brand names and then buy from their online sites instead of the department stores. Might work better.
  • jcjc
    edited January 2007
    Maybe you should make the minimum order and sell the extras on eBay!
  • edited January 2007
    Mario suggested divvying them up somehow, as well. If only all the world loved unruled composition books as much as I do!

Alternate solution: If only I loved regular ol' sketch books as much as the rest of the world does!
  • edited January 2007
    Well, are there any other art supplies you need that you can buy at that website? Like go on a 25 dollar drawing supply splurge.
  • jcjc
    edited January 2007
    I used to like plain old copier paper. Mostly by necessity-- all my drawing supply money back then went to Sharpies, which I used up pretty quickly.
  • edited January 2007
    Or just buy unruled composition books for life!
  • edited January 2007
    You know, there's a stationary store right near where I work. I'll check there for you.
  • edited January 2007
    There is a stationary store right by where I work too! They have about seven brands of sketchbook and three or four different varieties of quad-ruled lab notebooks, but no damned unruled composition book. Call the Lone Gunmen, because there is definite conspiracy afoot.
  • edited January 2007
    Does it need that black and white mottled design on the front? Basically we're looking for:

a) stiched binding
    b) no lines
    c) particular dimensions?
  • edited January 2007
    d) has to be of regular composition dimensions AND approximate paper quality/quantity. Therefore, 50-120 sheets, smooth pages, nothing I'll feel too guilty about if I fuck up some pages or just write total nonsense on. The lack of guilt is very important.
  • edited January 2007
    We must band together and help Stef! I will check my local places of paper-sellings.
  • edited April 2008
    It's over a year later, but I found some promising books at http://ibuyofficesupply.com/Products/Leather-look-hardbound-business-notebook--9-14x7-14--192-pages--black__REDA9X.aspx
    http://ibuyofficesupply.com/Products/Leather-look-business-notebook--plain--9-14-x-7-14--200-pages--black__REDA9.aspx

I just can't decide whether to spend $35 on 21 50-page books form the link above or $35 on 5 of the 200-page linked books...
  • edited April 2008
    Nicely done, sir.
  • edited April 2008
    I already sent Stef a stack of these notebooks a few months ago. She should be good for a while.

Still, for the future!
  • edited April 2008
    Indeed! When I run out of this kind of notebook, comics end forever.
  • edited April 2008
    You mean, more then it has already? =)
  • edited April 2008
    I'm half-convinced that the notebook dearth caused 6:35's demise, and I do toy with the idea of publishing one of my other two comics somewhat regularly. So the next notebook famine would probably knock one of those ones out instead.
  • edited April 2008
    Nuts to that. You tell me when you're down to one notebook, I'll hook you up.
  • edited April 2008
    Or, randomly, say, put the other TWO COMIC BOOKS YOU JUST REFERENCED online.
  • edited April 2008
    or start making 6:35's again. we need new remixing materials.
  • edited April 2008
    Unruled composition books rule.