Relativity question

Hello <insert recipient here>,

I recently learned about “The Twin Paradox”, in which one twin of a pair was loaded onto a spaceship, rocketed into distant space at near light speed, and then returned to earth at an equally fast speed. From what I read, according to the point of view of the twin on earth, the space-traveling twin will have aged slower (let’s say that ten years passed, but the space-traveling twin will have only aged one year.) Now apparently, things like this have been proven by experiments using clocks and muons and whatnot, so I’m willing to take it on faith. Things get more difficult for me to grasp when we change the point of view.

From the point of view of the astronautic twin, does his trip take ten years while the age of the earth (and everything moving at near-earth speeds) appears to have only aged by one year? (a flip-flop of what happened when the point of view was different)

If so, from the points of view of everyone in the universe, does the astronautic twin show up both ten earth-years later and only one year older AND one earth-year later but ten years older? OR is there some sort of splitting of realities, where in one he’ll show up on earth ten years later, and in another reality he’ll show up on earth only one year later?

John R. Filleau

Specifically I'm looking for any sort of data/previous experiments/calculations that could help me wrap my mind around this concept. Dissemination throughout educational channels would also be appreciated.

Comments

• edited July 2007
    I think how it works is the twin that went into space and traveled for ten years at the speed of light, for all intensive purposes by their experience was only gone for a year, since traveling at the speed of light warps time.

The astronaut twin shows up ten years later, but it was only a year to them, that's how it works.
  • edited July 2007
    From the point of view of earth, only a year passed for the astronaut twin, though! Does it happen the other way around? It's like...the point of view from someone else's point of view. Like...a double point of view? This stuff messes me up.
  • edited July 2007
    From the perspective of the twin in space, a year went by. From the perspective of the twin on Earth, ten years went by. Think Flight of the Navigator.

Whoa, that should totally be on our SCIENCE! movie list.
  • edited July 2007
    No no, from the perspective of the twin on earth's perspective of the twin in space a year went by. What about from the pure perspective of the twin in space?
  • edited July 2007
    You're thinking too hard about this and confusing yourself.
  • edited July 2007
    This could all easily be resolved by watching Flight of the Navigator. I'm totally serious.
  • edited July 2007
    The pure perspective of the twin moving at the speed of light in space is that only one year passed.

The pure perspective of the twin on Earth is that ten years passed.

There are no other perspectives.
  • edited July 2007
    From the point of view of earth, only a year passed for the astronaut twin, though! Does it happen the other way around? It's like...the point of view from someone else's point of view. Like...a double point of view? This stuff messes me up.

this is an issue that I always had witht theory of relativity too, but let me try to say it so the dilemma is a little more clear. Let's make it a more logical example, if you're standing on the side of the road, I drive past going 50 mph from your eyes. From my eyes however, my body is still, and you just went past my car at 50 mph. Relative to the earth, the space ship was moving at the speed of light. However, the oposite is also true. If we look at the space ship as standing still, the earth is travelling at the speed of light.

But like hammy said, you gotta go with the pure perspectives.

Now here's another quirk to it for ya:

as a low speed example, here:

65 mph <----(car A) (*"rest" object*) (car B)----> 20 mph

car A would see car B as moving at 85 mph away, right? nice and simple. now let's get theoretical.

if two ships are travelling in opposite directions, one (ship A) at .75*c, and the other (ship B) a .5*c,

.75*c <----(ship A) (*"rest" object*) (ship B)----> .5*c

.75*c + .5*c = c(.75+.5), so it's 1.25*c

basic motion would lead one to beleive that ship A would see ship B as moving at 1.25*c... but c is the speed limit of the universe, right? well, that whacky Einstein had to go and mess up my head even more by saying, yes, c is the highest relative velocity possible, so, he came up with a more complex formula for calculating relative velocity.

relative velocity = (Vb - Va) / (1 - Vb*Va/c^2)

this would put ship B in the above example (relative to A) as moving at .9090909(bar)*c . Hence, there must be time dilation to explain the difference in relative velocity. I hate Einstein. I hate him so much.
  • edited July 2007
    Do... do you not believe me when I say that Flight of the Navigator would explain everything? This totally happened in that movie! And then the alien robot started talking like Pee-Wee Herman, but that does not negate its validity for this thought experiment.
  • edited July 2007
    *Head explodes*
  • edited July 2007
    I followed most of what Geoff was talking about, until the end. But I'm still not really sure what John's question was.
  • edited July 2007
    I can see a "That's not how relativity works!" in all this somewhere. Either way, as interesting as understanding how it works would be, it's also interesting to ponder this very effect from a philosophical standpoint.
  • edited July 2007
    What? NO! Not philosophy. What's this Vb and Va? And how does one arrive at that calculation?
  • edited July 2007
    ALSO: There wasn't any double-meta point of views in flight of the navigator! Where there? All I can remember is the robot alien acting like the kid's older brother and a very attractive, very emotionally immature nurse.
  • edited July 2007
    We should just stop questioning what science and the government tell us. It's easier that way.
  • edited July 2007
    the robot makes the ship go very fast, and by the time they get back to Earth, a decade or so has passed for everyone he knew. Don't ask me how they got back though, I can't remember that part for beans. There was like a little alien salamander or something though.
  • edited July 2007
    I'm starting to recall the menagerie of alien life!
  • edited July 2007
    Geoff may know. Assuming that c is the absolute speed limit, the rest has always made sense to me, but the thing I don't get is, how did Einstein arrive at that conclusion? Is it simply that since light moves at that speed that it must be the limit, because light should be capable of traveling faster if it were possible?
  • edited July 2007
    Eww eww eww! The hot nurse intern was Sarah Jessica Parker.
  • edited July 2007
    The best ideas I got of space travelling and all that is from the book Speaker of the Dead, the sort of sequal to Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card). In that book, there was a semi-large part having to do with Ender traveling to the distant plant Lusitania, and the travel time was 20 years even though it only felt like 3 months to him. The big deal was that his sister was staying behind though, and he knew he would never see her again (she'd be dead even if he went there and back).

It also made a big deal of the time travel, because Ender had apparently been alive for thousands of years by space traveling... but I can't exaplin it as well. Read the book. Or watch that movie, I haven't watched it but I'll certainly take Mario's word for it.

EDIT!! This was my 69th post and I didn't do anything.... oh wells. lulz!
  • edited July 2007
    All you guys who go to college haven't forwarded it to any of your physics departments, have you?

*sad face* :[
  • edited July 2007
    Mish42 wrote: »
    It also made a big deal of the time travel, because Ender had apparently been alive for thousands of years by space traveling... but I can't exaplin it as well. Read the book. Or watch that movie, I haven't watched it but I'll certainly take Mario's word for it.
    Or you could just watch the first episode of the obscure Canadian science fiction series "Starhunter."

"You still owe me four years back rent on that ship."
    "Four years for you, but it's been only three weeks for us. We're on the high end of the lightspeed curve, remember?"
    "Relativity is a damn lousy excuse for not paying your bills!"
  • edited July 2007
    British sci-fi is superior!
  • edited July 2007
    Yes, unfortunately we haven't mastered the set-wobble on this side of the pond yet. We're working on it, though.
  • edited August 2007
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Geoff may know. Assuming that c is the absolute speed limit, the rest has always made sense to me, but the thing I don't get is, how did Einstein arrive at that conclusion? Is it simply that since light moves at that speed that it must be the limit, because light should be capable of traveling faster if it were possible?

heh, no idea. all i know is that he was insane.

oh, and Vb and Va are velocity of ship A and velocity of ship B.
  • edited August 2007
    Just watched the Flight of the Navigator movie. Really fun and entertaining, even if some parts are a little dated. I would have loved it as a kid, too, so too bad I didn't catch it back then.