SCIENCE invents star wars-esq floating hologram displays

edited September 2007 in Tech
Is there anything SCIENCE can't do?

Looks pretty cool doesn't it? Can't wait for the colour model...

Comments

• edited August 2007
    That's amazing. SCIENCE! triumphs again!
  • edited August 2007
    Good god that's awesome... I want one of these... in space.
  • edited August 2007
    I want one of those without the spinning mirror of doom.
  • edited August 2007
    Not only does it display convincing holographic images, it will also chop off your hand.
  • edited August 2007
    Just like in Star Wars!

Well, except Episode 1. No one got their hand chopped off in that one.
  • edited September 2007
    But Darth Maul got chopped in two. I think complete body splicing is cooler than a simple hand being cut off.
  • edited September 2007
    Yes, and the citizens of Alderaan were vaporized, but that's not the point.
  • edited September 2007
    The who from what now? Look it doesn't matter which body parts get sliced up, the important thing is, avulsions have occurred.
  • edited September 2007
    Hands getting chopped off is like someone saying "I have a bad feeling about this." It has to happen at least once in order for a movie to be considered an actual Star Wars movie. Therefore, we can conclude that The Phantom Menace was not, in fact, an actual Star Wars movie, and sleep a lot easier for that fact.
  • edited September 2007
    I slept plenty dring that movie, actually. And the one after. But to be fair to the second one, i was very tired and I watched it at home on a very comfy couch.
  • edited September 2007
    Did anyone actually get their hand chopped off in Empire Strikes Back? I'm a little hazy on #3 as well, but Anakin does go quadriplegic, so I guess that counts at least.
  • edited September 2007
    Luke's hand gets chopped after Vader tells him something.
  • edited September 2007
    In #3 Vader's hand get's chopped off and he electrocutes the Emperor. HOLY SHIT! The spell-checker recognizes Vader!

EDIT OF: I is dumb, you meant the sixth movie when you said #3.
  • edited September 2007
    Takeru wrote: »
    Luke's hand gets chopped after Vader tells him something.

Oh that's right! It's A New Hope that I wasn't sure about. All those old ones sort of clump together into ones big movie in my head. I forget what happend in which movie. I just know between #4-#6 I only recall two such amputations.

On topic: I've seen more ambitious if less effective attempts at 3D displays. As in ones without the hand-grinding, spinning mirror of doom.
  • edited September 2007
    Well, that one thing's arm gets cut off in the bar in episode 4.

The friend of the guy that's wanted in 12 systems.
  • edited September 2007
    No one's hand gets chopped off in Episode 1. Obi-Wan chops a guy in a bar's arm off and Dooku chops Anakin's arm off in Episode 2. Anakin chops both of Dooku's hands off and Obi-Wan chops Anakin's arm and both legs off in Episode 3. Obi-Wan chops off another guy's arm in another bar in Episode 4. Luke chops a Wampa's arm off and Vader chops Luke's hand off in Episode 5. Luke chops Vader's hand off in Episode 6.
  • edited September 2007
    I think that's a nice rundown there.
    As far as the 3D display goes, I think it's just expected at this point that someone will be showing at least one off in one form or another every year at SIGGRAPH.
  • edited September 2007
    I didn't realize how much amputation went on in those movies. :(

Then again, I don't think you could get two film trilogies if the Jedi and Sith just stabbed each other senseless in the torso instead of maiming and letting some of them live.

Where I'm at I can't click onto you tube. Is that the one with the tie fighter hologram? If it is, that is so cool.