Whats a good C compiler?

edited October 2007 in Tech
So I'm taking a class that mixes both Java and C. I know Java, never worked with C before. Whats a good compiler I can use? I've heard that Ecplipse (my Java compiler of choice.) works with C too, but that its not all that great. Any reccomendations?

Comments

• edited October 2007
    I've used Dev C++ before which works with C. For most stuff I usually end up using .NET, but I can't say I did any regular C coding in it.
  • edited October 2007
  • edited October 2007
    I should probably metion that I'm running a PC w/ XP here, so mac won't work.

In any case, someone recommended visual studio to me, so I'll probably use that. Though Dev C++ might be a nice backup.

Thanks for the help.
  • edited October 2007
    Visual Studio is probably more in line with something professionals would use. And if you ever dabble in a bit of directX you don't really have any other options.
  • edited October 2007
    Well, on PC I use Borland C++ Builder. Nice little program, worth a try. As a plus, it's what most C++ books come with so you could get it and a solid guide to teach yourself with cheaply.
  • edited October 2007
    Another good combo (for Windows users) is cygwin/mingw, (of which, the latter ships with Dev-C++) and Programmer's Notepad. Really, cygwin and mingw are simply Unix emulation environments, so you're really just using g++, a part of the GNU Compiler Collection.

The neat-o thing about Programmer's Notepad is that you can (like with Dev-C++ or Anjuta) compile from within the program, along with a myriad of other tasks, as you may add tools to the "Tools" menu, such as "'c:\dev-cpp\bin\g++.exe' %d%f -o %n.exe" to compile a simple command-line C program.
    **The %d, %f, and %n are specific to tools in Programmer's Notepad, where %d = directory of the current file, %f = the filename, and %n is the filename minus the extension.