Books!

13»

Comments

• edited August 2010
    A few weeks ago I bought The Necronomicon, the collection of H.P. Lovecraft's short stories. I've been absolutely blown away by what I've read so far. It's even better when I remember that he was writing this stuff decades ago, it's great seeing how media in this day and age is still being inspired by it.
  • edited August 2010
    I too was really awed by Lovecraft, particularly "Call of Cthulhu." His stories have this timeless quality to them. It's easy for horror to feel a bit dated, but his stuff is still unnerving.
  • edited August 2010
    Yay, I forgot about this thread.

I recently finished reading all four books of Song of Ice and Fire. After reading books so long that the editor has to warn the author they're going to put too much pressure on the book bindings if they're any longer, I find that just about any other book feels like a short story. I'm reading Stardust by Neil Gaiman now, and it feels like a walk in the park. It also feels a lot happier.

I should read Necronomicon when I'm done with this. I want to get into Lovecraft.
  • edited August 2010
    You're really right about the timelessness of it. I haven't read Call of Cthulhu yet, but I really look forward to getting into more of the classic Lovecraftian stories.

In between horror stories, I also recently finished reading Scott Pilgrim, because I guess I love reading stories that are the exact opposite of each other in every way.
  • edited August 2010
    Stardust is also a great read, but you're right, it's very short.

I, on the other hand, haven't really read anything at all this summer. I think I've shut my mind off temporarily from books. Now I'm reading a trashy fantasy novel from my youth, book 1 of the Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Mmmm.
  • edited August 2010
    Every once in a while you need a "walk in the park" book. I'm currently devouring Anne Bishop's The Invisible Ring, since anything remotely serious has mysteriously ended up back on the shelf this week.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm about halfway through The Grand Design now, the new book by Stephen Hawking and some other dude Leonard Mlodinow. Reading about quantum physics is increasingly making me believe that there must be some sort of intelligent designer for all of existence, because at the quantum level he's clearly just fucking with us.
  • edited September 2010
    Heh, I'm planning on heading into quantum physics straight into college, any material I can get on it is always great fun. Anyways, I somehow managed to miss that book completely, so I'll have to pick it up.
  • edited September 2010
    Might as well pick up Hawking's Brief History of Time as long as you're at it.
  • edited September 2010
    As I said, I somehow missed this one. Read A Brief History of Time already.
  • edited September 2010
    That doesn't mean you can't pick it up. I mean it can only be a few pounds at the max.