Absolute data corrupts absolutely

edited July 18 in Tech
Still disheartened by those lucky Japanese kids playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl over a month ahead of us, I thought I’d console myself with a little bit of the previous entry in the series, Super Smash Bros. Melee...

More...

Comments

• edited February 2008
    How dare you call Melee's graphics and control scheme 'antiquated'? Sure, some of the Pokeball Pokemon and the vehicles in Onett are kinda boxy, but in general the game has great graphics!

And the control scheme is, well, the same one used in Brawl.
  • edited February 2008
    I was just trying to make a point that it's starting to show its age. Its graphics are perfectly appropriate to six-year-old GameCube games. But I am excited about having multiple control scheme options in Brawl, so compared to having options, not having options is indeed antiquated.
  • edited February 2008
    I don't think the word antiquated does this game justice. Matured, I think, would be more appropriate.
  • edited February 2008
    I didn't mean to sound derogatory. Look, I love the original NES platformers, but they have since been replaced (for the most part) by games with more refined control schemes and more advanced graphics. As much as I love to play older games, newer games were designed with these older games in mind, designed to address shortcomings and improve on the design.

Brawl is taking the framework established by Melee (and the original Smash Bros.) and improving on pretty much every aspect as far as I can see. More playable characters, new game mechanics (Footstool Jump and Final Smash come to mind as big game-changers), more stages (and the ability to spin our own), new bonus content, new game modes, new items (and refined old ones)... online play alone is enough to convince me that this is going to be an extra-special game. Did no one else play Melee and suddenly not feel like playing Smash Bros. anymore? The game felt sluggish and ugly by comparison.

I didn't intend to anger anyone with my statements, and for that I apologize. But Brawl is gonna make Melee feel pretty damn antiquated come March.
  • edited February 2008
    For you maybe. June here. At least my birthday won't be ruined, coming, as it does, 21 days after Brawl's supposed release day!
  • godgod
    edited February 2008
    Unless they give you guys extra delays.
  • edited February 2008
    Hush.
  • edited February 2008
    Ha ha. Your avatar's bald.
  • edited February 2008
    Your avatar is either bald or entirely covered in hair!

On-topic, that happened to me once after not playing for a while. So I just did everything again.
  • edited February 2008
    If only they had somehow made a workaround so we could save onto the Wii instead of a memory, or at least copy the saves to the Wii for backup.
  • edited February 2008
    i actualy enjoy losing data. its sorta like a fresh start, a way to make that KO ratio a little bit better a second time around
  • edited February 2008
    think of it this way mario - now all those embarrassing sheik KOs on link have been wiped clean, and people won't know how much better i am than you.

oh, and despite smash bros recent attempt to sully my birthday, i was salvaged by fire emblem.