Ubuntu Hardy Heron

edited May 2008 in Tech
So, I installed Ubuntu 8.04 today (with a lot of trouble. Seems there's quite a serious bug in boot camp which causes a kernel panic if you try to partition your drive). Once I got it running, I had to do a fair bit of tweaking (Heron breaks the drivers for sound and brightness), but now it's up and running and going quite well.

This version has a lot of polish that the others just seemed to be lacking, which is of course important. It just feels a lot more mainstream and quite satisfying to use.

If you use Linux upgrade to it. If you don't and you use windows, you can now install it in a similar way to BeOS, as a program within windows at the slight expense of disk access speed.

Overall, I'd give it 8/10 :)

Comments

• edited May 2008
    Yeah? Well, I upgraded from Gutsy a few days ago, I have a few complaints.

It comes bundled with firefox 3 beta, which has shit compatibility for extensions still.

I can't log out, whenever I do I just get a black screen.

Oh, and I went to turn my computer on earlier, the hard drive my OS is installed two isn't showing up at boot.

So, at the moment, I regret upgrading.
  • edited May 2008
    My upgrade has been mostly problem-free. The fonts are a bit odd-looking compared to what I'm used to (I'm not sure what went on there between 7.10 and 8.04) but other than that things have gone fairly smoothly. It recognises my iRiver as a music player now instead of just a generic USB storage device so it opens up Rhythmbox automatically when I plug it in instead of the file manager, which will probably make things easier once I poke around a bit with Rhythmbox but is a bit annoying at the moment. I haven't tried logging out without shutting down so I can't verify whether or not Hamelin's problem is universal.

Compiz Fusion seems to have stopped doing its title-bar glitch, too, which is nice.
  • edited May 2008
    HAY GUYS MY COMPUTER CAN PLAY MUSIC LOL
  • edited May 2008
    HAY GUYZ! MY COMPUTAH WINDOWS WIGGLE!
  • godgod
    edited May 2008
    HAY GUISE! MY COMPY HAS CHIPZ CHALLEGE ON IT ROFLS!
  • edited May 2008
    HAY GOD UR COMPUTAH IS A PC, ATARI LYNX, ATARI ST, AMIGA OR AMSTRAD CPC.

AICMFP.
  • edited May 2008
    Hey guys I can hear your yelling in the other threads. Could you keep it down?
  • edited May 2008
    Anyway, I'm updating heron's score from 8 to 8.5, because of its incredible power management. The battery lasts longer in heron than os x. The reason it's not 9 is because brightness adjustment is currently broken :(
  • edited May 2008
    HEY EVERYBODY LETS GO GET SUM ICE CRAEM LULZ
  • edited May 2008
    I'm thinking once I fix my desktop (again) I'll try out a different distro. I'd suck it up and try running Unix, probably freeBSD, but honestly, I really don't care that much. Maybe I'll try out Mandriva.

Or, I could just try teenpup 2008, I hear it's extremely user friendly.

The thing is, while I have some measure of computer ability, these sorts of things frustrate me to no end and I really have no desire to really delve into any OS and learn how things work. I'm an end-user, I don't care about that shit, it annoys me.

Anyway, I've long since learned to keep all my files on a completely separate hard drive, so I can afford to be a little picky regarding my OS if I want to.

Only reason I'm still using Windows (again, frustrating!) is because wine, while making leaps and bounds forward, still sucks and won't run things I want to use, like most games and the latest version of Photoshop. I hope ReactOS makes some major strides, I'd probably use the hell out of it if it ends up doing what they say it does consistently.
  • edited May 2008
    Do not use Mandriva. Blech.
  • edited May 2008
    What's wrong with Mandriva? Elaborate, cause I was getting ready to burn some live CDs here in a bit.

You ever use CentOS? FreeBSD? Puppy? I need like, reviews of this stuff.
  • edited May 2008
    I'd use OpenSuSE, it's sturdy and well backed.
  • edited May 2008
    I used FreeBSD way back in the day. The Ports system was cool and it had some pretty decent documentation at the time which helped me familiarise myself with UNIX and made it a lot easier for me to get the hang of Linux. I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle of using it now, though, since its hardware support is still a few steps below Linux's. Still, it's been a long time since I used it so it might have some cool new features that I'm not aware of.

I haven't tried Mandriva but I tend to be wary of any RPM-based distribution due to some bad experiences with Red Hat way back when. I've heard that they've implemented things like automatic dependency resolution now which removes my main problem with the format but still, give me DEB or give me death. Or Portage. Portage is also cool, although it can get annoying at first when you have to compile all the basic stuff you need to have a useful system.

Basically, long story short, I use Ubuntu, I like Ubuntu, and I have no plans on switching away from Ubuntu any time soon, but if you've got a computer to play around with it can't hurt to try a few other distros to find something that might suit your needs a bit better.
  • edited May 2008
    You know, DI, Fedora is a pretty good OS, although I refuse to use red hat proper due to its commercial nature. Linux should be free, goddamnit.

I remember in 2001 a company sold commercial copies of Linux called "Lindows" which was touted as running windows software without the security risks and looking like Windows. It was just a debian base with a custom KDE theme and wine pre-installed.
  • edited May 2008
    Ok, I think I just need to do a clean install of ubuntu. I need to fix some stuff anyway.

What's the deal with kubuntu and xubuntu? Just different desktop environments? What's the difference?
  • edited May 2008
    Kubuntu runs KDE by default. Xubuntu runs XFCE. Other than that, they're pretty much the same as the regular version.

KDE is more customisable and feature-rich than Gnome (regular Ubuntu's desktop environment) but is also very cluttered and "flashy." Basically they crammed any neat thing they could think of into the environment without really worrying about making things in any way elegant.

XFCE is not as full-featured as either Gnome or KDE but it takes far fewer resources and runs well on older, less powerful computers.

Still, you can install any environment on any version of Ubuntu. It's just a matter of which one is the default.
  • edited May 2008
    Well, what do you use? I don't care about most of that fancy shit, desktop effects are stupid and distracting.
  • edited May 2008
    Then turn off compiz-fusion.
  • edited May 2008
    I have.
  • edited May 2008
    I see.

It's got 9/10 now. New update which fixed brightness control.
  • edited May 2008
    Hamelin wrote: »
    Well, what do you use? I don't care about most of that fancy shit, desktop effects are stupid and distracting.
    I use Gnome, although Compiz-Fusion works in both.

EDIT: You mught find this useful.