Tim Buckley is the worst ever

edited July 2008 in Comics
Fortunately, his recent abortion comic has given so many shooping opportunities.

474px-Deathnotecad.jpg
1212413411447.png

Comments

• edited June 2008
    I stopped reading CAD a while ago. It stopped being funny for me...
  • edited June 2008
    I stopped reading CAD this morning. Because of this.

What is that first one you did there Scott? Death Note? If so, that wouldn't work because I don't think the baby had a name to write in his book.
  • godgod
    edited June 2008
    So, whats the deal with CAD? I think I started reading it at one point, but got bored.
  • edited June 2008
    If you need to write an essay explaining an artistic choice you made, you aren't a very good artist.
  • edited June 2008
    I'm not a big fan of CAD, but it's nice that he's doing a big issue like this, and tastefully.

That being said, knowing Buckley, he'll probably use it to portray himself as some edgy martyr who made people realise that some babies die before birth.
  • edited June 2008
    I read up on the archives for the last few months, when Lilah was first pregnant, then reread todays comic. Then I read his blog post.

Overall, I support him. It's his comic, and it's ultimately a doorway for him to express his own story in his own personal light. It's obviously something he's wanted to discuss and do in his comic. And he's obviously not trying to be funny about such a sensitive subject.
  • edited June 2008
    Yeah, I'm with Ryan. I don't think this is negative. If he wants to do something a bit more serious from time to time, where's the harm? As with all art, if you don't like it, you can just stop consuming it. But CAD stopped being funny to me a long time ago, so I haven't read it in quite some time.
  • edited June 2008
    But CAD was never funny.
  • edited June 2008
    hook.jpg

A hook, get it? a hook!
  • edited June 2008
    You guys realize that this wasn't an abortion, right?
  • edited June 2008
    Yes, that's pretty clear. It's only a joke man.

Besides, it was an abortian. A spontaneous abortion.
  • edited June 2008
    OMG KUKOPANKI IS TEH WORST EVER
  • edited June 2008
    I'm not offended. It's just that that's the second abortion joke I saw.
  • edited June 2008
    cad.jpg
  • edited June 2008
    Why is that baby...so bald?
  • edited June 2008
    As one who never read CAD and saw this, I initially was under the impression that it WAS an abortion thing. I actually had to find the damn site and read a big essay by a guy who I don't know who makes a comic I don't read to find out it was a miscarriage. Still a sad thing, but it's in better taste than abortion.

As long as I was at the site I did read some of the early comics. It boggles my mind to think that the guy from those old comics is the same character running through that hospital. But then it's a long archive. I've seen a lot of comics that start out with randomness and cheap gags and eventually slide into a larger plot that gets much more dramatic and becomes the main focus. Pretty common pattern actually.
  • edited June 2008
    kukopanki wrote: »
    Why is that baby...so bald?
    I should just point out that that pic isn't mine. I saw it on another forum that was playing this game and I thought I had to share it.
  • edited June 2008
    XoLore wrote: »
    As long as I was at the site I did read some of the early comics. It boggles my mind to think that the guy from those old comics is the same character running through that hospital. But then it's a long archive. I've seen a lot of comics that start out with randomness and cheap gags and eventually slide into a larger plot that gets much more dramatic and becomes the main focus. Pretty common pattern actually.

No, what's kind of sad about it is he's still mostly the same character. A little less insane I guess, but not really.
  • edited June 2008
    Well, that explains much. Actually it explains pretty much everything.
  • edited June 2008
    Perhaps a miscarriage will improve Megatokyo' story too...
  • edited June 2008
    I stopped reading Megatokyo a couple years ago. Piro's whiny, Largo likes video games and doesn't understand women. Basic formula for three comic strips, then a slew of DPDs. Rinse and repeat.

What, is one of the chicks pregnant too?
  • edited June 2008
    No, actually Megatokyo is much more plot driven and dramatic now too. The girl Largo though was a zombie queen was recently killed off even. I would start reading again if I were you, it's a good comic.
  • edited June 2008
    Serephel wrote: »
    What, is one of the chicks pregnant too?

With the current pace, she could get pregnant in ten years...
  • edited June 2008
    I don't know, after a while the whole premise of Megatokyo starting irritating me. Two bumbling adolescent guys fly to Japan on a whim, and they fall back asswards into hot Japanese women and a job at an anime/game store. It's every Japanophile's dream.

I guess it just didn't click for me. Ah well.
  • edited June 2008
    Man, I run off for a few days, seeing the amount of posts in this thread. I knew it could have been two things, many more funny versions of that comic, or many unfunny posts about CAD. It was mostly the latter. MY EXPECTATIONS HAVE BEEN DECIMATED!
  • edited June 2008
    Did Tim Buckley's wife/girlfriend actually miscarriage in real life?
  • edited June 2008
    I don't have the inside scoop, but that's what I ascertained from his giant post explaining why he did what he did comic-wise.
  • edited June 2008
    My problem with this whole thing (and I wrote a rather lengthy thing about it on Josh Lesnick's LJ after some ass made a trolling comment about Josh's writing) is that there's absolutely no subtlety to this. It's like Buckley's woman had this tragedy happen to her and instead of expressing it in a constructive way, instead of doing something artistic and meaningful, he chooses to bluntly paste it into his comic and basically say "HEY INTERNET, LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED, PAY ATTENTION TO MY PAIN"

There's not much... artistic merit to it, he just steamrolled into it without any finesse. Big issues like death and love and whatnot needs to be broached carefully, this is why we have literary devices.
  • edited June 2008
    How would you prefer him to approach the subject then?
  • edited June 2008
    I've been thinking about this for awhile, trying to figure out exactly what my problem was. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Buckley using a comic as an outlet of a horrible situation he went through. People can choose to deal with their problems in any way they like (within the realms of legality and social norms, obviously). However, I think Ctrl-Alt-Del wasn't the best medium to use for this purpose, because expressing himself in this manner betrays the lighthearted whimsical nature of this particular comic series. Ctrl-Alt-Del isn't really very well-equipped for this kind of subject matter. It's like throwing in "A Very Special" episode and pretending it's perfectly normal. It just doesn't belong in a comic with Xbox robots.

A Ctrl-Atl-Del comic about miscarriage isn't bad for Buckley, it's bad for Ctrl-Alt-Del. This stunt has changed the whole comic in my eye, and it's changed into a form I no longer prefer to read.