Viruses?

edited June 2008 in Tech
Okay, I was playing Warcraft III yesterday for old times sake. I played a few undead campaign missions, and then stopped when I got to the last one, when you have to defend Kel-Thuzzad for 30 minutes while the entire goddamn Alliance comes at you from every angle.

After a few hours, I decided to play again, only to find that my computer could no longer read the game in the disc drive? It would tell me to enter the CD and try again, and simultaneously AVG would tell me I had gotten a trojan horse virus somehow.

I had downloaded some stuff, yes, but I had only started downloading some torrents of The Office off isohunt. Did that give me a trojan?

Either way, I've scanned and healed my computer, but it still won't play. Anyone ever hear of anything like this before?

Comments

• edited June 2008
    I would say that the likely source is The Office. I recently downloaded a program and got a trojan from it.
  • edited June 2008
    Nowadays I do all my downloading on my linux box. Suckers!
  • edited June 2008
    green_apple_logo.jpg
  • edited June 2008
    uQRc_1213047495-26436921.Watermelon.jpg
  • edited June 2008
    k6g3_1213047443_msx.png
  • edited June 2008
    I was about to say that the Office videos you downloaded are probably not the culprit since they're just video and trojans typically need executable code to work, but then I remembered how spectacularily insecure Windows Media Player and how Microsoft likes to embed scripting languages into everything.

You should install VLC.
  • edited June 2008
    You should install VLC.

Seconded.
  • edited June 2008
    Which runs brillianty in ubuntu, which you can now install sans partitioning as a file in your program files folder :)

Or, you know, just use the greatest computer of the early nineties:

tosabout.png
  • edited June 2008
    I do use VLC, because for some reason Windows Media Player likes to occasionally crash my computer (?). And I haven't actually run any of the videos I've downloaded yet. I just started the torrent. So, I'm not sure if they're related.
  • edited June 2008
    My friend had AVG decide his warcraft III install was a virus when we played it a bit yesterday. We had a good laugh about it.

And for the record, the custom maps are the only really good part of warcraft III.
  • edited June 2008
    Well, you see, I live in Asia. You can't be a computer gamer and NOT be unbelievably fast and amazing at Warcraft and Starcraft. And RTS has never been my forte, but I'd like to be able to hold my own for at least more than 5 minutes with my friends here when Starcraft 2 comes out.

Seriously, AVG did the same to your friend? Maybe the problem is AVG then?
  • edited June 2008
    I don't really agree, I think the Warcraft III single player campaign is loads of fun. Storyline and scripting make it interesting to me.
  • edited June 2008
    WCIII Was great and I STILL play it.

Is it just me or does anyone else TOTALLY SUCK AT THAT GAME BECAUSE I DONT HAVE ALL THE BUILDINGS AND UNITS MACRO'ED AND SHIT?
  • edited June 2008
    Hmm... I suppose macroing would make it easier... but you should hear Serephel's story about a Chinese guy he knew...
  • edited June 2008
    Oh, do tell.
  • edited June 2008
    Like seriously, by the time I have like 10 footmen out, I have like 25 Gryffin riders bombing my ass, and no way to reciprocate.

NAWT FUN.
  • edited June 2008
    I had a video of a Chinese friend playing once, but I have no idea where it went. I had a hard drive crash last summer, so it might be forever lost on there until I get off my lazy ass and recover my data.

It's kind of hard to describe, but I can draw parallels to other games. You know in DDR how fast your feet go when you do Paranoia Survivor Max on Oni? That was my friend's left hand across his entire keyboard. And the game had just started, nobody was even attacking him. He was micromanaging his research, building growth, and wood and gold acquisition down to the second, while at the same time sending out random offensive parties just to piss off and slow down his opponents. I consider myself a fairly experienced gamer, and I have trouble wrapping my mind around the simultaneous processes and actions he had going on in his mind at once.

I also played a devastating Warcraft III round against a friend from work a few months ago, who quoted himself as "okay".

I was dead in six minutes.

Now, in my own defense, it was my first time playing in well over a year. He was like "what the hell, you don't have your hero yet! What are you doing?" But even if I remembered what I was doing, it would've only delayed the inevitable by two, three minutes max.

They're just that good here.
  • edited June 2008
    Yeah I cant even think fast enough to send out parties while managing my base, its just too much to handle. like i played my 1st game on battle.net a while ago and i straight up gave up because the guy had a level 4 lich before i even had my crypt built, practically..

I'm gonna try to not suck at it tonight
  • edited June 2008
    I stick to my somewhat modified Diablo 2.

I don't play games competitively. I prefer to play coop.
  • edited June 2008
    Well, apparently whatever virus or AVG issue I had was with the original Warcraft III disc. When I put in the Frozen Throne disc, I can go back and play the regular campaign. Ah well, I guess I don't care.
  • edited June 2008
    Yay resolution!
  • edited June 2008
    Hey Serephel, Wanna play some WCIII Later? I have to finish torrenting TFT because i lost my disk. What realm do you play on?
  • edited June 2008
    I live in China, so unfortunately I can't access any American realms. Sorry, it would be nice to play someone who won't rape me in 5 minutes or less :P
  • edited June 2008
    Yeah i kinda thought of that

True, It would make for a pretty even matched game

Ill look and see if i cant find a patch or something so I can get on EU Realms or something
  • edited June 2008
    Whenever someone says WCIII I think they're talking about that flight sim with Mark Hamill.