The MobileMe is a lie. (open letter to the Mobile Me team)

edited July 2008 in Tech
Wow... thanks for the involuntary "upgrade" Apple. Not only are you good enough to disable webmail access to your paid service for a good while, you replace perfectly functioning web apps with amazingly slow running, buggy ones which feature the longest load times of any known web based mail / calendar / etc. programs. This is definitely worth my money. But hey, let's set all that aside. I can find ways to get my mail and such, plus it'll be "cool" to use with a new iphone. Push is cool and all... but come on.

But enough of my irritation - onto the funny part... safari users out there are probably familiar with the apple startpage - the default homepage which keeps people up to date on apple news and itunes releases among other things. You're now crippling your own site, even beyond the "MobileSuck" pages. pictures from the top right corner of the startpage taken today, which I just found too funny: I CAN C UR FRAMEZ

Comments

• edited July 2008
    I think you're overreacting. These issues will likely be resolved quickly. And I thought the new web interface was pretty cool. Nice to have easy access to Web Gallery without being at home to run my copy of iPhoto. The mail interface looks basically identical to the old one. And come on, push is cool.
  • edited July 2008
    yes, i tend to over react when I pay for a working product and it's replaced with a broken one. I mean, imagine if they showed up at your house and took away your new imac and gave forced you to take a different one that synchs great with your phone... but it doesn't turn on. and it destroys web pages. and it's possessed by demons. and it eats babies.

31-03.jpg
  • edited July 2008
    Dude! It's an extremely temporary situation! This shit happens sometimes! Do you want them to refund you for the $0.27 you paid to use MobileMe today?

And it's not like you're reacting to Apple's support teams with angry emails or posts on their discussion boards, places where your complaints would actually amount to something. Whining about it on iChat and the forums isn't going to help anything. Seriously though, sit tight. It'll probably be better by later in the day.

Also, I don't see you praising the wonders of .Mac/MobileMe every day it works fine! Which is a lot of days! Most of them, probably.
  • edited July 2008
    mario wrote: »
    Also, I don't see you praising the wonders of .Mac/MobileMe every day it works fine! Which is a lot of days! Most of them, probably.

lies! those are separate products, and MobileMe has yet to work for even an hour, let alone a day. and, i'm not posting there because apple doesn't give a sh*t. and yes, i want my .29 cents for each day back. (you forgot sales tax.) and i find it funny when large companies f*** up on their start page. ^_^
  • edited July 2008
    Actually, it'd be more like $0.30 ($108.20/366.24 days).

Apple is forced to give a shit when enough people voice their opinions about it. I'm not saying you sign a petition or something (that would be completely useless; just ask Earthbound fans), but there is value in voicing complaints through official public channels. I can assure you that the majority of this community doesn't have .Mac/MobileMe, and therefore probably gives even less of a shit than Apple.
  • edited July 2008
    Why don't you two just talk over the phone? clearly you are the only ones who care about this fuckup...
  • edited July 2008
    I would care, but .Mac/Mobile me has never been high on my list of priorities, although I might consider caring when I get an iPhone in October.
  • edited July 2008
    The conversation did start over iChat, but when I kept telling Geoff it wasn't a big deal, he apparently decided to try and find a more sympathetic audience. I don't think it worked.
  • edited July 2008
    You should get an Openmoko.
  • edited July 2008
    What does an open-source cell phone have to do with MobileMe, exactly? Or are you saying we should get one of these in addition to whatever this thread is about?

Also, MobileMe is currently working great on this end. OS X pushed a software update that revised all of OS X's .Mac branding to say MobileMe, and push data is going through nicely. Geoff's complaints are 100% about the webmail interface, but they're working well for me too, so it looks like this issue has probably been resolved.
  • edited July 2008
    I thought MobileMe had something to do with the iPhone. Apparently I was wrong.
  • edited July 2008
    Ya happy Geoff :takethat:
  • edited July 2008
    happier... i'd still like a working product. ^_^
  • edited July 2008
    Yeah you DO have a good point there...
  • edited July 2008
    http://www.informationweek.com/news/personal_tech/iphone/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=209100463

evidently i'm not the only person unhappy. and it's not just webmail, it's most of the web apps. oh and as for your statement that Push is working well...
    The company acknowledged this in the e-mail and said it would drop the word "push" from MobileMe's description until "it is near-instant on PCs and Macs too." Apple did say that changes made from the iPhone and Web apps are immediately synced to and from the MobileMe "cloud."
  • edited July 2008
    Yes, I know that push isn't really push on the desktop app end. But it works perfectly to and from iPhone and the webapps (when they work).

Yeah, okay, they botched the opening weekend. But again, I don't use webapps, so it's all working as it should for me. And that's all that matters!

I'll still happily take the extra 30 days though.
  • edited July 2008
    Double post, for a purpose:
    You should get an Openmoko.

From what I'm seeing, this phone is absolutely awful compared to an iPhone:

http://www.vimeo.com/1366042
    http://www.vimeo.com/1366923

The peace of mind of owning open hardware should never be offset by inferior design.
  • edited July 2008
    I don't actually know much about the OpenMoko. Personally, if/when I go back to using a cell phone I plan to just get a basic model with Bluetooth that I can use to have it communicate with a more full-featured non-phone device. Getting a big, expensive smartphone seems like a case of putting all your eggs in one basket to me, aside from the fact that they tend to be locked to a particular provider.
  • edited July 2008
    The openmoko model at the moment is only the "early adopters" model, lacking key features. A more fully featured model is out soon.