Planning a vacation

My friends, I am terribly confused, and I need the advice of Orange Beltians.

This Oct. 1-7 is the celebration of Chinese National Day. It is akin to American Independence Day, and it's a big celebration. Those 7 days are off from work, so I intend to do some traveling.

Initially, my plan was to go to Japan. Asian airline companies are much cheaper than their Western counterparts, and it's not too far nor too expensive. I want to go and see my host family and all the little tykes that keep showing up. And, I've got to head off to my old university area and party it up a tiny bit with some of my old classmates. And of course, I've also got to hit up Den Den Town (big ass electronics district), Yodobashi Camera, and holy shit I'm getting excited just thinking of it. Thing is, I've got a lot of shit to do, people to see, and places to go, and 7 days still isn't enough. I probably won't get another chance to go to Japan for quite a while, probably not for another year or more.

Also, in China there are many kinds of beer, one of which is called Qingdao. It is named after the city in which it is brewed. One of my colleagues is from Qingdao, and he tells me from Sept. 19 - Oct. 4 Qingdao has a beer festival. We are trying to get some people to fly up one weekend and go. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like many people can make it, unless we go during National Day (week). They suggested going Oct. 1-2, and then I could hop over to Japan after that for 5 days.

So, my dilemma. Do I go to Japan for 7 days and cram in all the fun I can, or do I sacrifice some of it for a beer festival? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    If you love us, you'll get drunk and tell us so.

But honestly, as long as you're that close, why not go to Japan? I'm sure you'll find ways to get drunk there, as well.
  • edited August 2008
    Japan I say! Sake is equally capable of getting you drunk!
  • edited August 2008
    Japan, boy. Just because Adam and I aren't there doesn't make it less worth going. You can probably get a tour of the Qingdao factory any day, no? Without all the crazies?

Come ON, two days with Riku, or two days with beer?
  • edited August 2008
    I say two days with beer. You've already been in Japan, but this is an aspect of Chinese culture you haven't experienced yet. Besides, who knows if you'll still have that contact in Qingdao next year? But you'll always have your Japanese contacts.
  • edited August 2008
    The man makes a point. A day or two to enjoy the beer might be fun and it's not like you're totally bailing on the Japan trip. You'll just sadly have to cut some things out of your schedule for Japan. Things that can certainly be done another year as Andrew put it.

It sucks, but if you back out of the beer thing you might just end up wondering if you didn't miss out on something, whereas it sounds like you already know what you are losing cutting your time in Japan a bit short.
  • edited August 2008
    Come to England! We've got tigers!
  • edited August 2008
    Beer festival! Beer festivals are always awsome. A beer festival in China has got to be awsomely awsome. You can spend 2 days with host family, 2 days with Chinese, and 1 day in Den Den town, or just get extra days in Den Den by bringing Chinese with you.
  • edited August 2008
    Hooray! It looks like we might go to the beer festival two weekends before, on the 20th. I get to go to both, and they don't conflict! It'll be a sexy co-ed party with some colleagues from Shanghai at Qingdao. And it's all going to be super cheap, because it's China.

Everyone wins, especially me!
  • edited August 2008
    Yaaaay!!