I need help, Americans!

As some of you may know, it has always been an ambition of mine to visit America, land of the free. I have now finally settled on a rough date, namely July/August '09. My intent is to be a cheap, pikey bastard, fly to NY (Which will cost about £300-ish) then bus and maybe fly around the country for a few weeks.

My problem is this! Where do I go? America is a big place, especially to someone from the UK. I mean jeeze, I could drive from one end of the UK to the other and back in less than 24 hours, God knows how long it takes to drive from one end of the US to the other. It even takes longer to drive across one single state!

So, where should I go? What should I see? Obviously places such as D.C. are an obvious choice, but anything more obscure? Quaint? I wanna try and absorb lots of different American cultures!

Comments

• edited September 2008
    I think you should go to Chicago and meet up with me and Megan. We'll show you the town.

Whatever you do, don't go to the South. It's a baaaaad place.
  • edited September 2008
    But the south has grits! And banjo music!

As for visiting Chicago, I would be honoured to meet you and the missus. Besides, Chicago is one of those "I'd like to visit at some point" cities, so why not next year? I can savour America, you can savour my accent. Win-Win.
  • edited September 2008
    You should visit North Dakota and return to England with tales of barren wastelands and drunken Americans.
  • edited September 2008
    You should let me know when you land so that I might join in your ventures.
  • edited September 2008
    Hell if you're going to have a party in Chicago, I might have to make an appearance too! I'll definitely do a Chicago trip, job permitting. If I don't have the vacation days, it seems I just don't get paid for those days. Eh.

Most of the South is bad, yes, but Dallas is alright. I lived there for about five years and I liked it. Although if you go during the summer it might be too damned hot. Word on the street is Mish is from those parts too.

Well, if you're looking for quiet or quaint, the Mississippi River can be that. You can get a good feel of American suburbia that way. My hometown is on the river, and as Andrew can attest to it's surprisingly entertaining, given that it's Iowa. You can have some taco pizza from Happy Joe's pizza too. It's quite delicious.

Besides that... I dunno. Florida of course has Disney World, Universal Studios and all that, but it's pretty damn expensive, even if you go with your almighty pound.
  • edited September 2008
    If you go to Chicago this summer, I might be able to swing back to Illinois and meet up with you kids then! Also I can bring you back to my hometown and my mother can make you grits.

Then we can go to SoCal, and go to the cheaper (since you can stay at my place) and less crowded Anaheim Disney Parks!
  • edited September 2008
    DC is a great place. Tons of landmarks and free museums all within walking distance of the local commuter train. I suggest it and if you decide to visit, tell me, hopefully I'll still be in the area by '09.
  • edited September 2008
    I am increasingly liking the idea of Chicago hosting a big OB get-together.
  • edited September 2008
    Come down to the Panhandle, Florida! Around summer is when the beaches are full of naked college chicks. We'll hang out, I'll show off my limey Brit friend, and we'll get you some good old delicious bologna flowers.
  • edited September 2008
    As am I! This is an idea that must be followed through with.
  • edited September 2008
    I'm in NY, but my parents would probably think it was weird if I just said I was going to drive down to the city to meet some random British kid.
  • edited September 2008
    As long as you're in the Americas you can drive a few extra thousand kilometers south and I'll show you around my own city. :)
  • edited September 2008
    Um, Idaho? We have potatoes.... and Mormons...

CAVES!!!! When I went on my cross country trip, we stopped at lots of caves! Does Brittan have many?
  • edited September 2008
    We also are the home of several old nuke testing sites, nukes, enriched plutonium, enormous plane projects that inevitably failed, the first town to be powered by nuclear energy, and one of the largest nuclear research facilities on the planet!!! Hell, the first nuclear sub was tested here for some reason!!!
  • edited September 2008
    You should let me know when you land so that I might join in your ventures.

These are my sentiments exactly! Me and DBD are less than five minutes away, so we could meet and head to NY afterwards. And then we'll just go along with the flow.
  • edited September 2008
    Come to San Francisco! There is a ton of stuff to do here: A gazillion beaches, music venues, and bars, cheezy tourist stuffs like the golden gate bridge and alcatraz, lots of museums, Golden Gate park, Muir Woods is not too far away, if you like wine, Napa is a couple hours north and is the vino mecca of the U.S. I know there is a bunch of other stuff that I am forgetting...

I know that Mario and I would love to meet ya!

Other great places to go would have to depend on what kind of activities you are into. Chicago is beautiful, definitely try to make it over there, the western states are cool if you are into being outdoors but are not good for much else (Wyoming is pretty nice for outdoorsy stuff, Yellowstone is a good national park). Badlands in South Dakota (?) is absolutely stunning, SD also has Mt. Rushmore, and some neat underground caves. I've never been to the Grand Canyon, but I hear good things. Boston is fun for nightlife, Las Vegas is fun for a couple of days so long as you're into gambling and drinking, Seattle is fun but a lot like San Francisco, so you'd be better off going to one or the other (and guess which one I'm going to suggest, haa) New England is nice, if you went to New York, you could drive up along the coast and check it out that way...I know that Orange Belters are telling you to avoid the South, but I think it can be entertaining so long as you take into account that people down there are a whole different breed of humans...and they don't speak for the rest of the country! (watch the American Special of Top Gear...kinda like that, but the rest of America definitely is nothing like that)

That's about all I can think of for now.
  • edited September 2008
    Ok, so I just found a cool looking website that might help you if you're looking for some unusual American Attractions...

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/
  • edited September 2008
    hlavco wrote: »
    I'm in NY, but my parents would probably think it was weird if I just said I was going to [ask to be] drive[n] down to the city to meet some random British kid.
  • edited September 2008
    Keep in mind that you won't be able to buy your own alcoholic beverages here; you'll be considered underage again!
  • edited September 2008
    Don't come to portland. Just... just don't.
  • edited September 2008
    If you're driving, (can you even rent a car at your age???), drive places. The interstates are immaculate. Get a nav system.

Arizona has Saguaro cactuses - you'll feel like you're in a looney toons cartoon. New Mexico is also pretty. Louisiana is creepy, kinda like Deliverance. Lots of water and swampy things, and dumpy little houses. Scary.

San Diego, nice beaches, tacos in Old Town, and you can dip into Tijuana!

Ottawa. Parliament. Yeah.
  • edited September 2008
    Road trips are damn fun with other people. If you schedule it before school starts, and assuming people have the money, you could probably get some people from here to join you.
  • edited September 2008
    Apparently you need to be 25 to rent a car in the US, that and I don't have a license, so yeah...
  • edited September 2008
    Well, hey. Feel free to use my car to go galavanting across the country.
    That's what it likes, anyway.
  • edited September 2008
    Still no license however, but I might take the test, who knows?
  • edited September 2008
    I know everyone's basically said as much, but you should definitely do an Orange Belt US tour. That way you're guaranteed room and board (as soon as we get a couch, you're more than welcome to crash on it) and transportation within your stops. Plus, meeting forumites is tons of fun. California's probably got more of us than anywhere else, for what it's worth. ^__^