School Art

edited June 2006 in Comics
So in school right now, I'm taking classes that teach Photoshop, Illustrator, and Flash. Anyway, I'm finished with the first half of the class and thought I'd post some of the stuff I did. In case you're interested in that sort of thing. So anyway...

[Art removed to save webspace]

More to come in June!

Comments

• edited March 2006
    You use gradients a lot. Like...a LOT.

I'd like to take this moment to say that I find gradients tacky and lazy. I find there's usually more skill involved in leaving an area blank instead of using a gradient to color it.

It seems to me you use more time learning how to use the tool than learning how to hone skills. Another thing that particularly miffs me is how your trees seem to be green starbursts set atop brown rectangles.

I used to draw stick-figures, I know, so nobody say it.
  • edited March 2006
    As someone who can't shade too well, gradients are my friend. But I've been tryin' to cut down. And yes, looking at those trees for the first time since, like, October, they're not very good. I could definately make that whole storybook a lot better.

Constructive criticism is fun!
  • edited March 2006
    The vending machine one is great and probably my favorite.

I also will recognize the Red Riding Hood comics as sentimentally awesome for reasons I will not yet tell.
  • edited March 2006
    I fixed the planner image. It wasn't working because the filename used weird characters. Instead of gradients, I just used that gimmicky premade circle-thingy! Also, the wizard is the only picture where I even attempted shading. It's REALLY subtle.
  • edited March 2006
    I like your big eyed style of art. I’m also assuming that all of those characters you drew where based off of pokemon.
  • edited April 2006
    Hey! School arts part 2! Stuff I should've put up weeks ago but didn't!

[Art removed to save space]

That's all I have to show off right now. After Spring Break I'll probably be able to get the rest of my stuff. It's on a disk at school right now, and school's closed.
  • godgod
    edited April 2006
    wow, that space rainbow is the best thing ive seen today
  • edited April 2006
    Hi Hlavco, I'm sort-of late to this thread, but I really like the way your establishing shot (page 1 of the comic, mostly forest scenery) came out. The way you used darker colors as outlines instead of black gave the scene a lot of life and charm, whereas black outlines would have made it look a little bit like a coloring book. The black-outlined characters, when introduced, look strikingly different and a bit more flat.

Some notes on outlines, and the color black:

When I took painting, my teacher told us to avoid the use of the color black-- it made the painting look dead. Instead, use dark-pigmented colors to aid in shading. Dark blues, purples, dark reds, dark browns. Changing to colors made a big difference in the outcome of the painting. Our works looked more like real life, and they were more visually inviting.

Outlines make an image look 2-D. Lack of outlines can help you suggest 3-D dimension, thickness, and space, even without gradients. (I don't have an example to scan in right now, but think of video games-- compare the art style in Paper Mario to any of the more 3-D Mario games. The outlines are a style choice, but they help to show the flatness of the Paper Mario characters. OR, compare Scary Go Round's non-outlined art to his drawn, outlined art.)

The reason for this is that lack of outlines makes an object into a blob of color, similar to what the eye might actually see. The mind tends to fill in details like space and distance. A second reason the colored outlines in the forest background work well is that it understates the outlines a bit-- by making them stand out less, we concentrate on the green bulk of the tree rather than the shape of its perimeter. This is a technique I have been trying in my own comics lately, using grey or brown as the outline instead of black.

Since I also make a comic with a lot of black outlines, I'm not anti-outline. They can be used to wonderful effect. (I do not use them to wonderful effect, unfortunately. I use them to keep the colors in one area when doing a fill.)
  • edited April 2006
    ...The Completely Real Times. nice. XD
  • edited April 2006
    Stef, thank you for your informative post. It made me feel like I was doing something right. Anyway, here's School Art Part III. Not too much this time.

[Art removed to save space]
  • edited April 2006
    Those trees in Type Face 2 are SO COOL.
  • edited April 2006
    Niiiiiice.
  • edited April 2006
    You know you love the Mario Kart DS drawing in the scanner project...

I'm kind of glad to be back to school from spring break. I was experiencing some major doodle withdrawal. Symptoms include:
    -Drawing the Easter Bunny or other holiday mascots on the white board outside your room.
    -The sudden urge to play Pictionary.
    -Getting out Warioware: Touched for the first time in months.
    So when I got back to school, I took out a pencil and started drawing. You know it's serious when I'm not using my usual pen. Anyways, I think I'm over it by now. But this being my last year in high school, I dunno what I'm gonna do in the future...
  • godgod
    edited April 2006
    become a healt inspector. they write stuff on clip boards, and theirs probably room for som robots, or ninjas, or something
  • edited June 2006
    I took down all of the above art because I'm starting to run a bit low on webspace. However, I've got a couple more things now that it's the end of the school year.

It's-a-me! Hlavco!

Here's a wolf I made in Illustrator.

Same wolf, transparent background.

Here's the cover for the DVD we're gonna make tomorrow. It's made of bits and pieces of my old projects. You'll only recognize the rainbow-background thing. The DVD has all the stuff I made this year, as well as everything I could find that I made in Middle and High School.

So that's pretty much all for this thread, unless I happen to make something really cool... tomorrow. Which won't happen because I have a lot of junk to finish before we're graded.
  • edited June 2006
    zOMG!

Don't kill me!
  • edited June 2006
    I can't kill you in the computer room! Mr. Leonard says all fighting must take place outside.
  • edited June 2006
    Your school lets you fight?! I got into a fight and got excluded for 10 days!