Comics.

edited January 2011 in Comics
Ok, sorry it took so long, but my earliest comics dissappeared during a virus induced crash, so i had to remake them. just the first one for now, more will be coming as i get them made.

prologuestrip1.png

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Haven't seen this comic in awhile! Glad to see you're getting back into it.
  • edited December 2010
    Thanks mario. Here's remade comic number 2, along with what was supposed to originally be comic number three.

Prologuestrip2.png
  • edited January 2011
    I'm really looking for constructive criticism and feedback from anyone who happens to actually like sprite comics, so if anyone has a thought to share, please do so. Just no trolling, please.

Anyway, here's the next comic.

prologuestrip3.png
  • edited January 2011
    I hope he either save the Lizalfos, or uses that weird relic to turn one into a hero. Looks good so far, and your sprite working is fair.

I recommend making the comics bigger overall, not increasing the number of panels or the dialogue, but just making it all bigger. I need my glasses to read these comfortably.
  • edited January 2011
    So i need bigger panels then?
  • edited January 2011
    Personally I think the text is quite readable at the size, but it's more the smaller sprites being used that makes it feel small. The closer shots are fine but many of the panels use smaller sprites which feel a little too small.

The text isn't bad, but maybe could stand some more experimentation. The heavy white glow effect does keep it readable while preventing the panel behind it from being completely obscured, but looks very busy almost to the point of distraction, so you're really doing a trade-off with that style. It works, but something else may work better. Don't get to experiment happy with finalized comics though. Inconsistency is probably worse than imperfect speech bubbles.

As another note, with this last comic you are running quite heavy with the text which doesn't bother me personally, but half the panels are exactly the same. The panel with the lizalfos couple helps. Showing different backdrops to the text would provide more visual interest and might better suit the glowing text since there'd be something more interesting to see behind it. As it is it's not clear why the white text boxes from the comic before weren't used in most of the panels. They look cleaner.

Aside from all that it's a pretty good start. I feel like I'm splitting hairs playing critic here.
  • edited January 2011
    admittedly i am experimenting to find what works better for text. thing is, the white text bubbles were made in MS paint, and were clunky and hard to make and get to line up in the panels. any suggestions on how to get a crisper, easier to read text bubble from Photoshop tools would be highly appreciated.

In the meantime, here's a comic with slightly larger, zoomed in panels, with the clunky MSpaint word bubbles.

zeldastrip4.png
  • edited January 2011
    I hate to thread bump, but i have a new comic to post.

comic5.png

Never take a deity's artifact lightly.
  • edited January 2011
    Pretty cool origin backstory intro thing. I like it.
  • edited January 2011
    It's encouraging to see your meticulous attention to detail in sprites from NES games' pasts pay off. You've done well finding existing content and tweaking it for your comic's needs. At some point you should list all the games that contributed to your comic's art (if you've kept track ^__^).