Reading printed books

edited July 18 in Books
As some of you heard, Borders is going out of business. I thought to ask some of you and generate some conversation. Do you like physical copies of books, or are you making the transition to ebooks?

For me, I am not sure how I feel. On one hand, I really like the convenience of an ebook reader and a library of digital books, since I tend to move a lot and the place where I store all of my accumulated crap (my parents' basement) is on the other side of the world.

However, there is a certain appeal in having physical copies of books as well. Part of it is the appeal of looking at your own library of books, but part of it too is having something tangible to represent your purchase as well. Plus, when I look at the ebook store for my Sony ereader, all the books are the exact same price as brick-and-mortal stores, and they never have sales to entice purchases like other online media distributors like Steam has. As a result, I've asked a colleague to pick me up a copy of A Dance with Dragons when he returns from an overseas business trip early next month.

What do you all think?

Comments

• edited July 2011
    I think the situation is very similar to music downloads about ten years ago.

The conservative nature of the publishing industry is going to be a hindrance. Control of the medium is being taken out of their hands, and they're reacting in an ineffective manner, which is why pricing isn't considerably cheaper and why ebooks are bum fucked with DRM.

I also have a problem with the ubiquity of proprietary formats. Kindle, Sony, iBooks, Nook. All have similar selections but all are incompatible. Say you buy a Sony eReader but they decide to drop out of the business? Sure, you'll have all your bought books, but have no way to transfer them to a different device.

Plus, one of the advantages of digital distribution with other media, such as films and games is that any dolt can get a product made and sold. However the ebook Market is still controlled by the old publishers, making self publication very difficult. This doesn't make sense, as films and games require technical expertise not every one possesses, while everyone has access to a word processor and an ability to spin a tale.

So until the Market becomes a bit less controlled and better for the consumer, I'll probably stick to physical books (Besides, I'm a snob. Inconvenient though it may be, I'd still rather read a hard back, gold leafed version of Shakespeare's complete works than on a digital device.)
  • edited July 2011
    I guess I enjoy a physical book when I have something significant. I can't say I've tried an e-reader yet, so I really don't know how it compares. To me, a book doesn't run on batteries and that's very nice. It doesn't go out of date and need upgrading, so that's handy as well. It's bulkier I'd think, especially if you have a big hardcover, so maybe an e-reader would have an advantage there. Overall I'm not prone to reading things more than once anyway, and I hate the idea of having to store shelves full of random collected crap. In that sense I may eventually get into the e-reader thing. At the cost of requiring power and other negatives it DOES make for a much smaller bookshelf. And I don't doubt there are or would be steam-like benefits involving online accounts that store purchase records so if you lose your reader you can still get a new one and redownload books you already purchased.
  • edited July 2011
    I don't trust technology. There's something sexy about real books.
  • edited July 2011
    shakeycat wrote: »
    I don't trust technology. There's something sexy about real books.
    You know, you've not posted any pictures of your daughter...

How do we know she doesn't consist entirely of paper and ink?
  • edited August 2011
    SENuke X is an automated link building software program that will produce backlinks automatically by submitting posts to report directories, submitting press releases, developing social bookmarks, uploading movies to video clip-sharing web sites, generating forum and net 2. profiles and allowing you to ping and submit the RSS feeds of all the submission you make.

senukex.jpg

SENuke X Version two. - Update August 9th, 2011

SENuke X version 2. was just introduced and this is the very first significant update for the software program because it was released back in April.

There are several major alterations with SENuke X Version 2. that I would like to point out:

- No A lot more Browser Windows - SEnuke X has been converted to work without having the net browser, using sockets only. This indicates that of the submissions and account development is becoming carried out in the “background” over sockets.
    This adjust is huge as it indicates no much more virus threats, no much more crashes because of to Web Explorer which indicates better accomplishment charges and almost everything is much a lot significantly faster now!

- New Websites and Bug Fixes - Most of the bugs that popped out more than the previous four months have been all settled and ironed out and tons of new websites have been additional to the software program and a lot more sites are coming in the near long term.

- New Captcha Fixing OCR Technological innovation - SEnuke X will now immediately remedy about 40% of all CAPTCHA images with out requiring any human intervention, for Cost-free. This generally indicates that the expenses for solving captchas will drop by 40%.

These are the major changes and updates that SENuke X Model 2. brings. Pretty cool things and it just goes to show that the builders of this remarkable tool are usually making an attempt to make it better and far better.

SENuke X Evaluation - Conclusion

- How automated is it? The reply is rather straightforward. SENuke X is the most automated software of its sort and it actually is as shut as can be to a set and overlook link building instrument.

- How several various link building sources can I submit to? SENuke X supports practically 800 web sites that you can use to create hyperlinks with. You can scroll back up to the supported web sites and see the breakdown of web sites.

- What are the achievement charges? As I have proven above, SENuke X account creation good results rates are previously mentioned ninety% and submissions charge are over 75%. -These numbers are excellent in my viewpoint and they certain do justify the time that SENuke X will conserve you making and submitting to all these accounts.

- What is the understanding curve? Thanks to the great phase by step wizard I would say that is would be considerably simpler for newbies to make the most out of SENuke X than it was with the first SENuke which did require quite some time in order to fully realize how to make the most of it.

- Does SENuke X work? Certainly. SENuke X operates. If it did not perform than it wouldn’t be here, a lot more than 3 decades following very first currently being launched. There are numerous accomplishment tales on the SENuke forum and I can say from my personal individual encounter that it performs and works wonderful.

Ultimate Phrases

The bottom line is that SENuke X is the finest all in 1 hyperlink constructing automated software, by far. If some people claimed that the competitors are gaining on the original SENuke I am sure that they will now agree that SENuke X is light many years forward of the levels of competition and with consistent updates it will surly stay on top rated for many years to come.

You can read more about: senuke , on my blog.

You can check out out SENuke X for free for a interval of 14 days and thank to the wizard, you ought to be able to make a decision whether or not it is very good for you or not within that time frame.

SENuke-X-FREE-Trial.png
  • edited August 2011
    That's the most effort I've ever seen put into a spam post!
  • edited August 2011
    I'm impressed.
  • edited August 2011
    So, a spam post advertising software designed to send spam.

My God, they've given us the key to their powers!
  • edited August 2011
    We know their weakness now. Send word to the other countries!
  • edited August 2011
    Just finished reading the new Dresden Book. I could've borrowed it from my mums kindle but I read the previous books in print and it felt weird to read this one out of it.
  • edited August 2011
    I really need to get back into the habit of reading again. The other day I found a bunch of books I own that I've started but never finished, and it's absolutely ridiculous how many pages I can get through and still put the book down and forget about it. A bunch of the books I found had a bookmark placed several hundreds of pages into the text, and I even remember really enjoying some of those books before I put them down! I just stop reading for some reason, and I don't get back to it until months and months (if not years) later.

This needs to be a goal of mine. Stop being ADD when it comes to finishing a goddamn book.