Pacific Rim

edited August 2013 in Movies and Shows
Just watched it this week. Anybody else manage to catch it?

I thought it was awesome. As long as you avoid thinking about the logistics of how they make the jaegers work.

But I didn't feel that Pacific Rim went out of the way to over-explain. Just 'here's an explanation.....now back to the giant robots punching the shit out of monsters'. Which I appreciated.

Plus Ron Perlman is awesome in it.

I think my only gripe would be WTF Australian accents? Seriously. WTF? Also to a lesser extent the English scientist dude 'by jove', seriously?

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Me, NoLonger, and a bunch of friends went to see it together, it is indeed super awesome.

Punching Godzilla in the face while piloting a giant death machine should probably be a life goal for all cool people.
  • edited August 2013
    Using a container ship as a club should also be pretty high on the list as well.
  • edited August 2013
    They didn't get it at the 3 screen theater in my town. And none of my friends want to see it back home.
  • edited August 2013
    I had randomly decided to go check it out a while back and some family members decided to go along. My couple of local friends kinda suck about movies. The one guy is kind of a cynical asshole who hates everything and another works all the time.

Overall: good movie. It seemed to be modeled after a Japanese anime except for being live action and a bit Americanized. I wouldn't have thought anybody would pull that off.

Also, this is funny.
  • edited August 2013
    Tak, your friends have no souls.

X'o I was also pretty sceptical about the likelihood of it being good. I think a big thing that helped was not following the 90 minute format that most movies stick to. That extra half-hour gave enough extra time for basic character development without having to cut any badass punching scenes. Plus Guillermo del Toro is a badass maker of movies.

I think this comic explains the biggest thing that bothered me.
  • edited August 2013
    Apathy wrote: »
    I think this comic explains the biggest thing that bothered me.

I thought it was because she only just noticed/remembered said sword, hence why they weren't using it earlier.
  • edited August 2013
    At the end of the day, it's a minor quibble.

Because if they'd just been using the sword the whole time, there would have been considerably less punching. And that's just not a world I want to live in.
  • edited August 2013
    So, Pacific Rim finally came to the theater here in town.

Just in time for me to go back to ND to judge a Rock Band contest!
  • edited August 2013
    Hopefully it'll still be there when you get back. Definitely a movie that benefits from being seen on the big screen.
  • edited August 2013
    Why do you have to judge a Rock Band contest? The score is right there in the corner of the screen.
  • edited August 2013
    It would seem both the performance and showmanship of the band factors into the judging.
  • edited August 2013
    What about bribery?
  • edited August 2013
    Well, yeah, that too.
  • edited August 2013
    Just got back from seeing this. Sword thing aside, it was friggin awesome. Really predictable, but it's hard to give a shit about that when there's EMP dinosaurs.
  • edited August 2013
    I am complete agreement. A complex story would have really gotten in the way of the arse kickery.

And how good was Ron Perlman?