The Gamecube Controller is now the Windows XP of video game peripherals.

edited June 2014 in Games
Bo0nZHBIUAABqcb.jpg

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/472076848382607361

Nintendo is releasing a Gamecube adapter for the Wii U so that we can play Smash Bros in the optimal fashion. This makes me very happy.

Comments

• edited May 2014
    So we can play Smash Bros. in the only acceptable fashion.

Now I might actually buy a Wii U! Also, will they release that cool-looking Smash Bros. GameCube controller?
  • edited May 2014
    I don't know. That appears to be what they're using in the E3 invitational Smash Bros U tournament though (wait till the end of the video).
  • edited May 2014
    I watched the video, and for some reason the controller didn't magically appear in my hands. But now I really want sneak off to a Best Buy from work that day for some reason...
  • edited May 2014
    I'm glad to see Nintendo supporting the tournament scene. Too many wireless controllers in a room at once can cause lag. I'll be picking this up when I get Smash Bros, even though I've got enough normal style controllers for 4 players.
  • edited May 2014
    Does that make me a heretic for having used a wii classic controller to play Smash Bros? Well, at least I did before that particular game got stolen/lost. (Kids with access to my Wii stuff has resulted in literally half my games being lost, destroyed, or stolen. Children are terrible human beings.)
  • edited May 2014
    The other cool thing about this is that now I can play my Wii DDRs on Wii U since the pads will be able to plug in now.

This also opens the door for a triumphant e-reader comeback.
  • edited June 2014
    Does this mean I can play Eternal Darkness on the WiiU?!
  • edited June 2014
    Won't support for the GameCube controllers require explicit support from the games? Or will the system treat them as Classic Controllers?
  • edited June 2014
    Dunno. Maybe the adapter translates the inputs into something workable.
  • edited June 2014
    Does this mean I can play Eternal Darkness on the WiiU?!

The functionality to play Gamecube games is there, but Nintendo blocked it out. It's possible they'll patch it back after the GC adapter comes out.
  • edited June 2014
    Can the optical drives accept GCN games? Even the late-gen Wii eventually dropped that support. They could probably run 'Cube titles via Virtual Console, but unless the drive has the ability to insert the mini disks, the original optical media won't work.
  • edited June 2014
    I'd assume it's a different laser, though I'm sure the Wii U laser could read the discs if given the software.
    I have one or two Wii games (Like Brawl for example) that I had the option to play with Gamecube controllers instead of Wii Motes. It'd probably work with those.
  • edited June 2014
    My concern would be media size. The original Wii had mechanisms for aligning the GameCube's mini disks in the center of the slot. Does the Wii U have those? Most slot-loading optical drives can't mount the smaller form factor media.
  • edited June 2014
    That's a fair argument. I didn't even think about that for some reason.
  • edited June 2014
    I read somewhere that the most complicated and expensive part of the Wii was the mechanics they had to use to allow you to stick the Gamecube discs anywhere along the slot and still have them read correctly. Dunno how true that is, but it makes sense considering they dropped Gamecube support for the budget model.
  • The latest Switch update has added support for the Wii U's Gamecube controller adapter!

And it actually works on every game, not just the hypothetical eventual Switch version of Smash Bros! A lot of Switch games require more buttons than the Gamecube controller can provide, but it's a viable option for simpler titles.
  • This is the greatest reason to revive an old thread ever.
  • I hope that's not sarcasm, 'cause I'm legit pleased!
  • I don't really understand the fondness for the Game Cube controller, but if people liked them that much then good on Nintendo I guess.