Smash Bros. 3DS and Wii U: The Official Thread of Talking About Them With Each Other

edited October 2014 in Games
Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U!

Anyone get the 3DS demo yet? A good friend/Platinum Club Nintendo member gave me one of her codes. Really liking the Villager so far: he doesn't have great range, but he can pile on some damage with Smash-Up-A, and his projectile-grabbing move can come in handy.

That tiny screen does get overloaded with characters and items, though. Can't wait until the full release comes out so I can turn items off forever.

Comments

• edited September 2014
    I have no handhelds forever. Unless my Windows Phone can count as a handheld, though I'm unconvinced on that possibility.

I may have to get a Wii U or something just so I can play me some more Mario Kart and/or Smash Bros. at some point, but sadly I got other priorities as of late.

I do kinda want to make feeble attempts to play Little Mac for no apparent reason. I'm pretty sure I'd be pretty bad with him.
  • edited September 2014
    Unfortunately, the demo limits playable characters to Mario, Link, Pikachu, Mega Man, and Villager. I need me some Game & Watch! Game & Watch! Game & Watch!-chanting.

And yes, get a Wii U so we can put on some Orange Belt tournaments again.
  • edited September 2014
    I didn't have notifications from Nintendo enabled, so I didn't get the demo. I'll be getting both copies, most likely.

PS: RIP In Pieces Ice Climbers :(
  • edited September 2014
    Same here, I was a platinum member but didn't opt-in to receiving messages. Oh well.

Eagerly awaiting Pichu DLC.
  • edited September 2014
    Friend of mine had an extra code for me, so I've experienced the demo! Mega Man is so weak it hurts. I guess that's to compensate for his long range. I'm sure a proper player can do wonders with him. Really excited to play as Little Mac once the full version releases.
  • edited September 2014
    I dig Mega Man's Smash-Down-A, but yeah, he's a weak-ass brawler and his range attacks aren't particularly special. His Final Smash, however, is cheap as shit.
  • edited September 2014
    A coworker gave me a code for the demo. Mega Man and Villager are both very fun so far.

I've gotten good use out of Mega Man's down-tilt slide move, and his up and down aerial attacks seem pretty good.

I like that they remixed the N64 version's character select screen music to use as the results screen music.

Also, I keep trying to grab/throw with R and shield with L. I hope they let you swap those in the final game.
  • edited October 2014
    It's out! Little Mac is a damn beast! They weren't kidding when they said he had no recovery though. Once you're off the stage, it's basically over for him. In fact, his over-B attack is better recovery than his up-b. A lot of times I get myself killed by doing over-b near an edge.

I tried figuring out Rosalina and Luma, but I'd much rather have the Ice Climbers back. Maybe I'll like her more when I get better. Right now it looks like my mains will be Little Mac, and Mega Man. Anyone else have the game yet?
  • edited October 2014
    I'm conflicted. I want to buy this game right now because everyone else has it and is playing it right now. But my birthday is in a couple weeks so it's a good gift idea if my parents want to get me something.
  • edited October 2014
    I picked it up this morning along with some coworkers. We basically didn't get any work done today. As with the demo, I've found myself gravitating toward the Villager, but it's fun playing with the Mii fighter too. That said, at this point I'm basically going to try different new characters out until I unlock Mr. Game & Watch.
  • edited October 2014
    Duck Hunt might be my new "Ok, time to get serious" main. I can see them being a real harsh matchup for a lot of characters. Especially someone like Little Mac who needs to be up close and personal.
  • edited October 2014
    I've been smashing with Sheik like I have since forever. The moves they've given him since his down-b is no longer transform are ridiculous. A seriously much improved character. That being said I've been having more success with Lucina as a competitive fighter. I just don't enjoy her quite as much. And yeah, Little Mac is bonkers crazy but I always kill myself with him.
  • edited October 2014
    Odd, I've heard nothing but disappointment from the usual Shiek camp. Maybe they just need to get used to her in the new game.
  • edited October 2014
    Well. The thing is that Shiek has pretty much always sucked and had no useful finishers. The new down-b and side-b, though tough to use, are exceptionally helpful for that.
  • edited October 2014
    Wasn't Shiek a frequent top finisher in Melee tournaments? At least back in the day.
  • edited October 2014
    There was a Melee tournament in my town earlier this year. Considering it was a tiny shop in a tiny town, I was expecting to face no stiff competition.

I got destroyed.

And yeah, most of them were either using Sheik or Marth. Surprisingly few Fox and Falco users though. According to the community-voted tier list, those four are the best in Melee.

Oh hey, the community no longer thinks Pichu is the worst character in the game.
  • edited October 2014
    Don't forget to update your 3DS friend codes, guys! I'd like to play online against some of you guys so I can see just how horrible I am.
  • edited October 2014
    Wondering if I should dump the old thread so people will notice newer posts. Most of those DS/Wii codes don't work anymore anyway.
  • edited November 2014
    Mewtwo's back as free DLC (if you buy both the 3DS and Wii U games)! This opens up the possibility of all other cut characters, which is perfectly fine by me.

Lots of other cool tidbits in the latest Nintendo Direct:

http://youtu.be/j0BBGzfw0pQ
  • edited October 2014
    I imagine Mewtwo will end up as paid DLC if you only want to own one version. 8 player brawl sounds amazing, and the stage builder sounds like it has a lot of potential.
  • edited October 2014
    I'm told that will be the case with Mewtwo, though I don't know how official my non-sources are.

I just hope that the AI will actually be able to navigate the custom stages this time.
  • edited October 2014
    Map editor seems cool, and eight player is a greeeeeat thing.
  • edited October 2014
    I'm really happy that they strengthened the stage builder. There was some other stuff I was really happy about, but I can't remember them all because the video was so long. I'm sure once the game is released I will be happy about them again. Foreground/background battling looks cool, though. They could make some nice Paper Mario-themed levels using that mechanic.

I finally got the 3DS version a few days ago. It's very good. I switched grabbing from the L button to the R button, and moved shielding down to one of the two jump buttons. Now I don't really have any problems with the controls. My biggest disappointment with the game is that Ness's down aerial doesn't slam people downwards anymore. But in the grand scheme of things, that's not a very big biggest disappointment.
  • edited October 2014
    I switched the grab to the R button and the shied to the L button. It can be sorta awkward to twitch certain moves simply because the stick isn't so robust and I don't want to break it.
  • edited November 2014

The silver lining of my 3DS being stolen was being able to register the replacement unit with Nintendo, securing enough points to get these slick posters. Glad my old Melee poster has some company now.
  • I'm kind of excited for tomorrow, but I am flying back up to Connecticut for the week so I wont be getting Smash Bros until I'm home.

On the bright side my buddy who I'm staying with for the weekend will have it so he can kick my ass! yay!

I look forward to dying a lot and not getting better at smash bros and being annoyed that I suck all of the donkey weiners :<
  • I don't care if Mega Man turns out to be the worst character on the roster, as far as tiers go. He is my main. Forever.

• I found my main.
  • edited November 2014
    I'm really feeling it. It being a Miiverse Witch's Brew.
  • Is walter on fire sometimes?