Music and Tastes

edited July 2023 in Music
I basically made this thread since I saw a lack of music discussion and I wanted to start one, since I myself love music. Though I play no instruments, I listen to a wide array of music. From Mr. Bungle and Primus, to Ryan Adams and The Rocket Summer plus various japanese artists.

So I thought we could all discuss music and other things related to that here.

If I may.

Starting topic:

American Music and it's development since the 60's.

(You can also talk about your favorite bands and such, but this is just to start the thread off, since it's an interesting topic.)

Comments

• edited July 2006
    This thread needs more ska.
  • edited July 2006
    Ska is neat and so are you.

EDIT: Sweet mother of Christ. I love you, Amoeba Boy.

FURTHER: Musically, I'm pretty much stuck in 1997. New music frightens and confuses me. I only buy albums by bands that were good when I first listened to them but I pretty much hate everything they're doing now. That's right, Goldfinger, you suck now!
  • edited July 2006
    Hah, Goldfinger damn even I listened to them for a while. And Ska is awesome.

Fun fact: When I first listened to Fall Out Boy I thought they were good, but only because I thought the singer was doing Ska, but it turns out he wasn't. So I decided against them. [J.J]

The only album the Singer from Fall Out Boy is good on is the bands Gym Class Heroes, where he shows he can actually sing.

As far as new bands go, I like some of them. but the ones I like are usually out of the norm for highschoolers. Like Primus, Mr. Bungle, Incubus (Though they are popular) The Rocket Summer, Tokyo Paradise Ska Orchestra, Malice Mizer.
    Though most new bands aren't all that good. But then again, there are a lot of bad old bands too. It's hard to come across a gem of music. but if you loo, a lot can become appealing, you just have to find the right bands to listen to and look further into the genre.
    Anyways, about the topic of music and the way it's evolved, a good way to explain it would be.

60's Disco/expirimental
    70's Disco/Chill out music, getting into the upbeat stuff.
    80's Rock dons a new era
    90's Hip hop and rock along with the Boyband craze
    2,000's Rock, punk, 'Quote unquote' Emo. And others.

Not really all that accurate, since it's what I can think of off the top of my head, but yeah.

One thing I've noticed as I move (i've moved through 3 different states.) is that where you live depends on your music. Small areas like Rhode Island towns and small mass towns have a concentration of 'Emo' (I hate labels) Music kids, and Rap music kids, with little of the inbetween.

While areas like Florida have a more relaxed, 'Of Montreal' or 'Cookie Cutter Rock' feel.

And while I've never pretained to one Genre, I find it kind of odd that something as simple as location can change the taste of the music people listen to. I guess the kids that are in a small town with little to do, find solice in the image of rappers, or the so called 'Isolation' of Emo music.
    Eh, i'm just spitting out nonsense. Just my opinion.

Rebuttal? heh.
  • edited July 2006
    Punk rock is dead, but the wake isn't too bad sometimes.
  • edited July 2006
    Nobuo Uematsu's Black Mages all the way.
  • edited July 2006
    I like The Cutters currently.
  • edited July 2006
    Ryoga wrote:
    Rocket Summer
    Darn it! On the incredibly, unbelievably, hugely unlikely chance that I ever started a band, that was gonna be the name for it! Curse you, Martian Chronicles! You weren't even a good book!!

Um... I like Billy Joel.
  • edited July 2006
    Serephel wrote:
    Nobuo Uematsu's Black Mages all the way.

Specially "The Clash on the Big Bridge"!

Right now, I'm stuck hearing Shibuya-kei music (Pizzicato Five, Cornelius)
  • edited July 2006
    I'm still a fan of Led Zepplin and Lynard Skynard. Oh, can't forget Clapton (mainly with Cream, but a few of his other bands' songs were good.)
  • edited July 2006
    Nukivaj wrote:
    Specially "The Clash on the Big Bridge"!

I remember when I first heard Clash on the Big Bridge in FFV, I thought that someone really should make a rock version of it.

Clash on the Big Bridge, Man with the Machine Gun, Hunter's Chance, Maybe I'm a Lion, The Decisive Battle, just to name a few. Oh, and Matoya's Cave is wonderful too.

Personally, I'm waiting for them to do the Redwings Theme from FFIV.
  • edited July 2006
    I like Progressive Rock like Queen, Nu Metal such as System Of a Down, Punk such as The Offspring, Jazz such as Bobby Darin, Fats Waller etc, Broadway music such as Rent, Avenue Q, The Producers.

I play Bass and Piano and Drums. I also write music and arrangements (My most recent work is a rock version of God Save the Queen) for said instruments and electric guitar which I know a bit.

Thats it basically.
  • godgod
    edited July 2006
    I listen to system of a down occasionally, but mostly "Weird Al" Yankovic, Lemon Demon, and then music in the sound tests of video games.
  • edited July 2006
    I was gonna make a new thread for this in the SCIENCE! forums, but I just remembered I can use this one.

Anyways, I've just stumbled upon a band called The Epoxies. They sound a lot like Devo, cept with a lady for a singer. So this may automaticlly make them awesome, but all of their songs are pretty much melodic SCIENCE! They sing about being robots, fighting robots, the last minutes of life before a nuke kills everything, and trying to stop the governement. They may be tough to find but I highly recommend this band.
  • edited July 2006
    I'll give em' a listen. Any chance of buying them in stores?

Edit: To keep this thread alive...

Let's get a small discussion going on some bands you think have a complex make up. (Basically how complex and creative the music itself is.)

For me, I'd have to say a band i've been listening to recently. or rather, a man i've been listening to. Frank Zappa. From what I do know about music, which isn't all that much, he has a very complex way of doing some songs that leave your mouth gaping. Another band would have to be Mr. Bungle. They way it's composed doesn't seem to make much sense at times, but it is complex.

Of course there are a lot more complex bands out there. so...yeah. Discuss!
  • edited August 2006
    Cat SCRATCH FEEVAAAAA!!!

Actually on topic, crazy stuff: I'd say not only Bungle, but al things Mike Patton (fantomas, his solo albums, peeping tom etc.) The Boredomes and Ruins are absolutely NUTS. If youre into metal and want something complex, you absolutely must listen to Meshuggah. I reccomend the Destroy Erase Improve. It's pretty harsh stuff, but their timing is ridiculous.