Tales of SCIENCE!

edited July 2023 in For SCIENCE
Bionic Arm Provides Hope for Amputees
DAYTON, Tennessee (AP) -- Jesse Sullivan has two prosthetic arms, but he can climb a ladder at his house and roll on a fresh coat of paint. He's also good with a weed-whacker, bending his elbow and rotating his forearm to guide the machine.

He's even mastered a more sensitive maneuver -- hugging his grandchildren.

The motions are coordinated and smooth because his left arm is a bionic device controlled by his brain. He thinks, "Close hand," and electrical signals sent through surgically re-routed nerves make it happen.

Doctors describe Sullivan as the first amputee with a thought-controlled artificial arm.

Researchers encouraged Sullivan, who became an amputee in an industrial accident, not to go easy on his experimental limb.

"When I left, they said don't bring it back looking new," the 59-year-old Sullivan said with a grin, his brow showing sweat beneath a fraying Dollywood amusement park cap. At times he had been so rough with the bionic arm that it broke, including once when he pulled the end off starting a lawnmower.

That prompted researchers to make improvements, part of a U.S. government initiative to refine artificial limbs that connect body and mind. The National Institutes of Health has supported the research, joined more recently by the military's research-and-development wing, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. Some 411 U.S. troops in Iraq and 37 in Afghanistan have had wounds that cost them at least one limb, the Army Medical Command says.

Although work that created Sullivan's arm preceded the research by DARPA, he said he's proud to test a type of bionic arm that soldiers could someday use. "Those guys are heroes in my book," he said, "and they should have the best there is."

"We're excited about collaborating with the military," said the developer of Sullivan's arm, Dr. Todd Kuiken, director of neuroengineering at the Center for Artificial Limbs at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, one of 35 partners now in a DARPA project to develop a state-of-the-art arm.

Sullivan's bionic arm represents an advance over typical artificial arms, like the right-arm prosthesis he uses, which has a hook and operates with sequential motions. There is no perceivable delay in the motions of Sullivan's flesh-colored, plastic-like left arm. Until now, it has been nearly impossible to recreate the subtle and complex motion of a human arm.

"It is not as smooth as a normal arm but it works much smoother than a normal prosthesis," Kuiken said.

Sullivan lost his arms in May 2001 working as a utility lineman. He suffered electrical burns so severe that doctors had to amputate both his arms at the shoulder.

Seven weeks later, due to what Sullivan calls being in the right place at the right time, he was headed to meet the Chicago researchers.

"Jesse is an absolutely remarkable human being, with or without his injuries," Kuiken said.

Sullivan said his bionic arm isn't much like the one test pilot Steve Austin got in the '70s TV series "The Six Million Dollar Man." "I don't really feel superhuman or anything," he said.

"It's not magic," added his 4-year-old grandson, Luke Westlake, as he placed a nut in Sullivan's grip and challenged Paw-Paw to crack it open.
What is the 'bionic arm'?

Not magic but high-tech science makes the bionic arm work. A procedure called "muscle reinnervation," developed by Kuiken and used on five additional patients so far, is the key.

For Sullivan, it involved grafting shoulder nerves, which used to go to his arms, to his pectoral muscle. The grafts receive thought-generated impulses, and the muscle activity is picked up by electrodes. These relay the signals to the arm's computer, which causes motors to move the elbow and hand, mimicking a normal arm.

"The nerves grow into the chest muscles, so when the patient thinks, 'Close hand,' a portion of the chest muscle contracts," according to an institute fact sheet.

Kuiken added: "Basically it is connecting the dots. Finding the nerves. We have to free the nerves and see how far they reach" and connect to muscles.

About three months after the surgery, Sullivan first noticed voluntary twitches in his pectoral muscle when he tried to bend his missing elbow, the institute said. By five months, he could activate four different areas of his major pectoral muscle.

Trying to flex his missing elbow would cause a strong contraction of the muscle area just beneath the clavicle. When he mentally closed his missing hand, a signal could be detected on the pectoral region below the clavicle, and when he tried to open his hand there was a separate signal. Extending his elbow and hand caused a contraction of the lower pectoral muscle.

When Sullivan's chest was touched he "had a sensation of touch to different parts of his hand and arm," the institute said. "The patient had substituted sensation of touch, graded pressure, sharp-dull and thermal sensation."

Sullivan said of the thought-controlled arm: "When I use the new prosthesis I just do things. I don't have to think about it."
Better than conventional prosthetic

Kuiken describes the procedure on Sullivan as the first time such a graft has been used to control an artificial limb.

Gregory Clark, associate professor of bioengineering and prosthetics researcher at the University of Utah, agreed, adding that a conventional prosthetic limb is "limited in a number of ways in the types of movements. Moreover, it can do only one of those movements at any particular moment."

Clark said a natural arm is capable of 22 discrete movements. Sullivan's bionic limb is capable of four right now, though researchers are working to make them better.

"Four is wonderful," Clark said.

Sullivan said his bionic arm allows him to rotate his upper arm, bend his elbow, rotate his wrist, and open and close his hand -- in some instances simultaneously.
Sullivan to appear with first 'bionic' woman

He and Kuiken attended a Washington, D.C., news conference Thursday with Claudia Mitchell, the first woman to receive the bionic arm.

The 26-year-old Mitchell was injured in a motorcycle accident after she left the Marines in 2004.

Trying his new arm at increasingly challenging tasks, Sullivan acknowledges he has good days and bad ones.

"At first, I couldn't watch when he tried doing this stuff," said Sullivan's wife of 22 years, Carolyn.

She said she first thought after the accident that he was going to die. She gave up her catering business to tend to him around the clock.

But eventually he forced her to occasionally run errands and leave him alone.

"He finally got mad and yelled at me and told me to go to the store," she said, laughing.

Enormous lifestyle adjustments that the injuries and rehabilitation required were not as hard as might be expected, she said.

"For some reason, we just sort of rolled into it. I just knew he wasn't going to let anything keep him down," she said.

She said medication helps control his pain, and sometimes he resorts to self hypnosis. "They taught him how to do that," she said, adding she doesn't consider herself to be a caretaker.

"I do all the yard work," Jesse Sullivan said. "I take out the garbage."

He can even hold a fork to eat.

And there's another task the bionic grandfather of 10 looks forward to mastering: casting a fishing line.

Comments

• edited September 2006
    This is great news. I think any sort of natural super power in my body would have manifested itself by now. I have to rely on SCIENCE! now, and robotics looks to be farther along then DNA manipulation.
  • edited September 2006
    This is good. As an actual college level homework assignment, I have to start a LiveJournal and update once a week. The thing is, each update has to include links relating to cool machine or computer-type stuff. Looks like my homework is done for this week.
  • edited September 2006
    Now all we need to do is make a bionic arm with a grappling hook on the end, and revive Hitler!
  • edited October 2006
    I bet this guy has his own theme song.

"Jesse Sullivan, more than meets the eye
    Jesse Sullivan, robot in disguise!"
  • edited October 2006
    Perhaps this could become the SCIENCE! news thread. This story doesn't fit into either of our other 2 news threads, but it's still important.

The Future is One Step Closer
    LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Beaming people in Star Trek fashion is still in the realms of science fiction but physicists in Denmark have teleported information from light to matter bringing quantum communication and computing closer to reality.

Until now scientists have teleported similar objects such as light or single atoms over short distances from one spot to another in a split second.

But Professor Eugene Polzik and his team at the Niels Bohr Institute at Copenhagen University in Denmark have made a breakthrough by using both light and matter.

"It is one step further because for the first time it involves teleportation between light and matter, two different objects. One is the carrier of information and the other one is the storage medium," Polzik explained in an interview on Wednesday.

The experiment involved for the first time a macroscopic atomic object containing thousands of billions of atoms. They also teleported the information a distance of half a meter but believe it can be extended further.

"Teleportation between two single atoms had been done two years ago by two teams but this was done at a distance of a fraction of a millimeter," Polzik, of the Danish National Research Foundation Center for Quantum Optics, explained.

"Our method allows teleportation to be taken over longer distances because it involves light as the carrier of entanglement," he added.

Quantum entanglement involves entwining two or more particles without physical contact.

Although teleportation is associated with the science-fiction series Star Trek, no one is likely to be beamed anywhere soon.

But the achievement of Polzik's team, in collaboration with the theorist Ignacio Cirac of the Max Planck Institute for Quantum Optics in Garching, Germany, marks an advancement in the field of quantum information and computers, which could transmit and process information in a way that was impossible before.

"It is really about teleporting information from one site to another site. Quantum information is different from classical information in the sense that it cannot be measured. It has much higher information capacity and it cannot be eavesdropped on. The transmission of quantum information can be made unconditionally secure," said Polzik whose research is reported in the journal Nature.

Quantum computing requires manipulation of information contained in the quantum states, which include physical properties such as energy, motion and magnetic field, of the atoms.

"Creating entanglement is a very important step but there are two more steps at least to perform teleportation. We have succeeded in making all three steps -- that is entanglement, quantum measurement and quantum feedback," he added.
  • edited October 2006
    Awesome. Besides, one couldn't ask for a better SCIENCE!! thread name than "Bionic people and cyborgs!" It just spews forth "SCIENCE!!"
  • edited October 2006
    I've always thought we needed a SCIENCE news thread.
  • edited October 2006
    There used to be those blogs...
  • edited October 2006
    "We're excited about collaborating with the military," said the developer of Sullivan's arm, Dr. Todd Kuiken, director of neuroengineering at the Center for Artificial Limbs at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, one of 35 partners now in a DARPA project to develop a state-of-the-art arm.
    coughcyborgsupersoldierscough.
  • edited October 2006
    Although teleportation is associated with the science-fiction series Star Trek, no one is likely to be beamed anywhere soon.

But... they are one step closer.
  • edited October 2006
    Robotic arms...legs...and-*utter look of disbelief*-the wouldn't make a robot version of THAT, now would they?
  • edited October 2006
    YO, Light-weight boy, change the title of the thread so we can have an official For Science! news thinger.

Wait a minute. does this mean that they've managed to bipass (fold) space? Is the transportation instantanious? If time and space are irrevicably intertwined then that would mean that they are effectively moving an object (with regards to time at point A to time when located at point B) faster than the speed of light. But the object isn't actually traveling that distance, it's skipping over to the new location. Man, I don't get this. I'm gonna have to read up on it.
  • edited October 2006
    Scientists create new element!
    WASHINGTON (AP) -- Revisiting one of physics' most embarrassing cases of scientific misconduct, researchers from Russia and the United States announced Monday that they have created a new super-heavy element, atomic number 118.

Scientists said they smashed together calcium with the manmade element Californium to make an atom with 118 protons in its nucleus. The new element lasted for just one millisecond, but it was the heaviest element ever made and the first manmade inert gas -- the atomic family that includes helium, neon and radon.

If confirmed, the still-unnamed element would be placed beneath radon on the periodic table of elements, said Ken Moody of the Lawrence Livermore National Lab in California, which was joined on the project by Russia's Joint Institute of Nuclear Research.

The findings were published in the journal Physical Review C. The same research team has created four other elements.

The experiment recalled an earlier attempt to create the same element.

In 1999, scientists said they created element 118, only to withdraw their claims in 2002 amid charges of falsified data and the firing of a scientist. That group of researchers included three from the team that announced Monday's discovery.

This time, Moody said, safeguards were adopted to minimize the possibility that just one scientist held critical data.

Yale University physics professor Richard Casten, an associate editor of the physics journal, said the latest work was subject to intense scrutiny "because of the sensitivity of the issue."

Casten said such new elements are not discoveries until they are confirmed by other scientists. That may take several years, Moody said.

The element was created last year in Russia using a minuscule amount of Californium provided by the Americans. After a millisecond, it decayed into element 114, then into element 112 and then split in half, Moody said.

Creating a new element "is sort of the Holy Grail of nuclear physics," said Konrad Gelbke, a scientist who was not on the team but directs the National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory at Michigan State University. "It's extremely hard to do."

Moody said the new element will not be named until it is approved by an international association of chemists. Elements 113, 114, 115, and 116 are still unnamed.
  • edited October 2006
    Wow! And also...californium? Scientists are so creative. *laughs*
  • edited October 2006
    Agentcel wrote: »
    robot version of THAT, now would they?
    I'm pretty sure such things already exist.
  • edited October 2006
    Agentcel wrote: »
    Wow! And also...californium? Scientists are so creative. *laughs*

The entire bottom of the periodic table's filled with poorly named elements. Off the top of my head I can think of Francium and Amercanum. There's probably a few others too.
  • edited October 2006
    Californium! Californium! Here we come! do de de do de.
  • edited October 2006
    Most of the lower elements are named after where they were discovered (or created) initally.
  • edited October 2006
    They should be awesome names, like Awesomium.
  • edited October 2006
    I back up Serephel.

Elementium!
  • edited October 2006
    Extravagantium

Fantasmium

Yumium

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocium
  • edited October 2006
    After seeing the names they give their telescopes, I gave up all hope of scientists coming up with cool names for things.
  • edited October 2006
    Scientists closer to making objects invisible
    Friday, Oct. 20, 2006

Scientists closer to making objects invisible

WASHINGTON (AP) Harry Potter and Capt. Kirk would be proud. A team of American and British researchers has developed its own cloak of invisibility.

News photo
    University Of Tokyo student Kazutoshi Obana dons his version of a cloak of invisibility, using optical camouflage technology, in 2003. U.S. and British researchers have announced their own method of making an object partially invisible by passing microwaves and radar waves over its surface. AP PHOTO

Well, OK, it's not perfect yet. But it is a start, and it did a pretty good job of hiding a copper cylinder.

In this experiment the scientists used microwaves to try to detect the cylinder. Like light and radar waves, microwaves bounce off objects making them visible and creating a shadow, though it has to be detected with instruments.

If you can hide something from microwaves, you can hide it from radar -- a possibility that will fascinate the military.

The new work points the way for an improved version that could hide people and objects from visible light.

Conceptually, the chance of adapting the concept to visible light is good, cloak designer David Schurig said in a telephone interview.

"We did this work very quickly . . . and that led to a cloak that is not optimal," said coauthor David R. Smith, also of Duke. "We know how to make a much better one."

Natalia M. Litchinitser, a researcher at the University of Michigan department of electrical engineering and computer science, said this appears to be the "first, to the best of my knowledge, experimental realization of the fascinating idea of cloaking."

"Although the invisibility reported in this paper is not perfect, this work provides a proof-of-principle demonstration of the possibility," said Litchinitser.

She added that the next breakthrough is likely to be an experimental demonstration of the cloaking in visible light. "These ideas represent a first step toward the development of functional materials for a wide spectrum of civil and military applications."

The first working cloak was in only two dimensions and did cast a small shadow, Smith acknowledged.

The next step, he said, is to go for three dimensions and to eliminate any shadow.

Viewers can see things because objects scatter the light that strikes them, reflecting some of it back to the eye.

"The cloak reduces both an object's reflection and its shadow, either of which would enable its detection," said Smith.

Looking at a cloaked item, Smith explained: "One would see whatever is behind the cloak. That is, the cloak is, ideally, transparent.

"Since we do not have a perfect cloak at this point, there is some reflection and some shadow, meaning that the background would still be visible, just darkened somewhat."

The ideal cloak would have nearly negligible reflection and virtually no shadowing, Smith said.
    nn20061020a2a.jpg
  • edited October 2006
    A-mazing.
  • edited October 2006
    I read that on yahoo the other day. We're getting closer to the future!
  • edited January 2007
    And closer still!
    Ray gun makes targets feel as if they are on fire

MOODY AIR FORCE BASE, Georgia (AP) -- The military's new weapon is a ray gun that shoots a beam that makes people feel as if they will catch fire.

The technology is supposed to be harmless -- a non-lethal way to get enemies to drop their weapons.

Military officials say it could save the lives of civilians and service members in places like Iraq and Afghanistan.

The weapon is not expected to go into production until at least 2010, but all branches of the military have expressed interest in it, officials said.

During the first media demonstration of the weapon Wednesday, airmen fired beams from a large dish antenna mounted atop a Humvee at people pretending to be rioters and acting out other scenarios U.S. troops might encounter.

The crew fired beams from more than 500 yards (455 meters) away, nearly 17 times the range of existing non-lethal weapons, such as rubber bullets.

While the sudden, 130-degree Fahrenheit (54.44 Celsius) heat was not painful, it was intense enough to make participants think their clothes were about to ignite.

"This is one of the key technologies for the future," said Marine Col. Kirk Hymes, director of the non-lethal weapons program that helped develop the weapon. "Non-lethal weapons are important for the escalation of force, especially in the environments our forces are operating in."

The system uses millimeter waves, which can penetrate only 1/64th of an inch of skin, just enough to cause discomfort. By comparison, common kitchen microwaves penetrate several inches of skin.

The millimeter waves cannot go through walls, but they can penetrate most clothing, officials said. They refused to comment on whether the waves can go through glass.

Two airmen and 10 reporters volunteered to be zapped with the beams, which easily penetrated various layers of winter clothing.

The system was developed by the military, but the two devices being evaluated were built by defense contractor Raytheon.

Airman Blaine Pernell, 22, said he could have used the system during his four tours in Iraq, where he manned watchtowers around a base near Kirkuk. He said Iraqis often pulled up and faked car problems so they could scout U.S. forces.

"All we could do is watch them," he said. But if they had the ray gun, troops "could have dispersed them."
  • edited January 2007
    This is an Epic Thread, and easily serves as a flagship thread FOR SCIENCE!

I recommend a sticky.

More future-stuff-today!
  • edited January 2007
    it not uncommon to give lame names to elements...most likely the person who discovered it name it after themselve...like alfred nobel...founder of nobelium! and also the founder of dynamight!( excuse the spelling) which is actually how he died...meh
  • edited January 2007
    Though nobelium was named after Alfred Nobel, he wasn't with the team that discovered it. Just like the state of California had little to do with the discovery of californium. These are honorific titles, and as far as I know are almost never named after the discoverer (Marie Curie actually discovered radium, not the later-discovered curium).
  • edited January 2007
    "Two airmen...volunteered to be zapped with the beams."

SOMEBODY'S trying to get BTZ.