It's almost like time travel!

edited July 18 in Tech
http://www.futureme.org/index.php

Here you can write an email, and have it sent to yourself at a later date. I think it's really neat. I wrote one that'll come back to me in 2016, on my 28th birthday. You can set it all the way up to 2036. Hopefully this site will still exist then.

Comments

• edited October 2006
    It's a novel idea. You don't have to send it to yourself either. As for 2036, I don't know if we can be sure the email address and this service will both be operational by then.
  • edited October 2006
    Well, who here has had only one e mail just in the last five to ten years?

Still a pretty cool idea, though.
  • edited October 2006
    XoLore wrote: »
    It's a novel idea. You don't have to send it to yourself either. As for 2036, I don't know if we can be sure the email address and this service will both be operational by then.

So I could send a proposal to a woman 10 years from now by e-mail?! Hm...

Too bad also that you can't write back.
  • edited October 2006
    Well I supposed you could. I'm going to send an message to a friend of mine and try to have him avoid some terrible event that's already occured. Like blowing up a robot or something.
  • jcjc
    edited October 2006
    Don't try this without taking a megadose of riboflavin!
  • edited October 2006
    I sent one to myself on December 21rst, 2012 congratulating myself on surviving the apacolypse.
  • edited October 2006
    Shouldn't you send it so it arrives on the 22nd? Maybe send an email reminder for the 20th.

EDIT: Damn, they thought of it already: "oh dear, it seems we have a problem:
    You must send your email at least 30 days into the future...2 won't cut it. We're not a reminder service. We want profundity."
  • edited October 2006
    If only it let you send emails back in time...With like exam answers an' shit
  • edited October 2006
    We'd all be straight-A students....and you could reply to your past self!
  • edited October 2006
    I only need one piece of information sent back one day: Winning lottery numbers.
  • godgod
    edited October 2006
    Then everyone would do it, and there would be a several million way tie, everyone earning about $2.19.
  • edited October 2006
    Ah, but then you simply do it for the lottery two weeks prior!
  • edited October 2006
    Or, everyone could simply make a $1.16 profit twice a week, and gambling organizations will have to suck it like they should.

Personally, I see this "service" being used to posthumously send letters to people after suicides or murder-suicide rampages. If this service stays around longer than a few years, I see the resulting controversy of such letters being the end of the service..... not because of negative public pressure, but because of overflooding.
  • edited October 2006
    I was thinking about using it to mess with people after I'm dead. But then I realized you can just pay an attorny to mail out a letter upon the event of your death, so I'm sure you could ask one to send an email. The timing would be way better and you could even have him fill in the blanks to make it seem like you knew how you were gonna die.
  • edited October 2006
    Holy shit, lawyers can fill in blanks, now?

They'll be unstoppable!
  • edited October 2006
    Hey, Phoenix Wright can fill anything in.