Scientists cure cancer

http://www.studentprintz.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticlePrinterFriendly&uStory_id=c7794f20-dfb1-4494-892d-b529895da103

Okay, I know there still needs to be clinical trials conducted, and at this point it would be premature to refer to this as a miracle cure, but I want an electronic ticker-tape parade, damnit.

EDIT: For those who don't realize just how simple this molecule is, a picture appears in the following article. http://www.expressnews.ualberta.ca/article.cfm?id=8153

Comments

• edited February 2007
    "DCA can cause pain, numbness and gait disturbances in some patients, but this may be a price worth paying if it turns out to be effective against all cancers."

from http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn10971

This article basically says everything John's article says but adds in the phrase above.

But still, I agree, what's a little pain when you might be able to cure your cancer? At first I thought this whole thing was a joke or something but I was looking around the net and there are several sources that talk about this. This looks like it might work.
  • edited February 2007
    Cancer reminds me of zombies.
  • edited February 2007
    Heh, I'd love to know how you associate out-of-control cell growth with the undad hordes.
  • edited February 2007
    mmmmmmmmm undead hordesssssss
  • godgod
    edited February 2007
    At first I thought this would be some comic strip or you just named it Scientists cure cancer to get our attention, but that is both interesting and good news.
  • edited February 2007
    god wrote: »
    At first I thought you just named it Scientists cure cancer to get our attention, but that is both interesting and good news.

I thought the exact same thing... Somehow I feel a little skeptical about all this.
  • edited February 2007
    god wrote: »
    At first I thought this would be some comic strip or you just named it Scientists cure cancer to get our attention, but that is both interesting and good news.

Me too... But damn dude! That's great!
  • edited February 2007
    Oh, and for those who didn't read the articles TOO closely, the scientists are CANADIAN.
  • edited February 2007
    Well, yeah. Why do you think we're so skeptical?
  • edited February 2007
    Ew, Canada!
  • edited February 2007
    HEY, Canada has produced some great things. Not the LEAST OF WHICH is our good friend Drooling Iguana.
  • edited February 2007
    There are exceptions.
  • edited February 2007
    Canada produced Protest the Hero. And where would South Park be without Canada?
  • edited February 2007
    Colorado.
  • edited February 2007
    Oh, and for those who didn't read the articles TOO closely, the scientists are CANADIAN.

And that matters because...?
  • edited February 2007
    Because I don't like people thinking Canadians are worthless.
  • edited February 2007
    Oh, okay. Don't worry, I didn't think they were before and I don't think they are now. In fact, Canadians kick ass.
  • hrthrt
    edited February 2007
    Don't be hatin on canadains bra! lol I'm Canadian and I'm proud!
  • edited February 2007
    Also there are some bad things to come out of Canada. We must stay OBJECTIVE IN OUR SYNOPSES.
  • hrthrt
    edited February 2007
    Yes, but the same can be said for any country.... especially the U.S.
  • edited February 2007
    That's right! When talking about my country - ALWAYS STAY OBJECTIVE IN SYNOPSES.
  • edited February 2007
    Remember the adage of something seeming to be too good to be true.

Also: Political flaming belongs in its own thread.
  • edited February 2007
    hrt wrote: »
    Yes, but the same can be said for any country.... especially the U.S.

Hey, I'm not hating on your country. Don't be hating on mine.
  • edited February 2007
    I just read this article and there's something about it that doesn't make sense. It says that DCA can get rid of brain cancer cells. But aren't brain cancer cells within the blood-brain barrier?* So, if this doesn't meet the criteria of what is allowed into the brain, how can it cure brain tumors.

*For those who don't know, the blood-brain barrier prevents almost anything from getting into the brain. http://www.mcmanweb.com/article-172.htm
  • edited February 2007
    They've done most of their tests on animals so far. If you watch the CNN interview, he says they're looking into tests on humans soon, and they hope it won't end up being one of the times it works on animals but not humans.
  • edited February 2007
    Dichloroacetate is a very tiny chemical! It is able to penetrate places that other, larger, more conventional pharmaceuticals can't. Even without the human tests being done, I can say with 100% certainty that this will work. Also, it will stop wars.
  • edited February 2007
    But will it make me thin and attractive?
  • edited February 2007
    Only if you have a weird tumor that's growing all over your naturally skinny body and making you look fat.
  • edited February 2007
    You mean titties?
  • edited February 2007
    No, I do not mean titties. The drug won't make you skinny and attractive. There. I guess nobody likes positive spin.