Printer suggestions?

edited February 2007 in Tech
Anyone have any suggestions on printers? My old one died at the beginning of the summer, and after weeks of scouting, I was pretty sure that I wanted the Canon Pixma ip4000 (one of the last Canon inkjets to use the über-cheap microchip-free ink cartridges), but it's pretty much nowhere to be found on the intarwubs now. (Even eBay.)

Can you recommend any printer (laser or inkjet) that's worthwhile?
- color preferably
- hopefully less than $200, prefer less than or equal to $100
- don't need a built-in scanner / fax / microscope / caulking gun
- cheap ink refills
- decent enough quality to print photos, but not necessarily a "photo printer"
- willing to buy old/refurb models (if they are still for sale somewhere)

I have a friend who swears by his color laser printer (I forget the brand), and I'd be willing to suck it up and invest in one, but I tend to print on odd things like freezer paper, card stock, and t-shirt iron-ons, so I'm wary of getting a laser printer.

Anyone have any recommendations? My last one lasted so long, I don't even know what brands are the good ones, aside from the usual suspects (epson, canon...?).

(If this needs moving to a different forum, please do so; I just wasn't sure if it was tech supporty or for science!y enough.)

Comments

• edited February 2007
    Tech Support is specifically pertaining to forum technical issues, so this forum seems appropriate enough.

I haven't shopped for a printer in some time, but I tend to lean toward the cheapest models available that get the job done. Your usual suspects are still the reigning champs when it comes to bang per buck ratio. As far as cartridge price goes, make sure the printers you're looking at can be refilled by third-party cartridge refillers. It's much cheaper, but some printer companies are starting to prevents refilled cartridges from working in their newer printers (usually by disabling the cart after it reaches a certain age, as stored on its internal microchip).

I usually cast my eye toward HP, but one of my biggest factors while shopping is Mac compatibility, which has little to do with quality or ease of use.
  • edited February 2007
    Like mario, I'd have to say that HP are usually very high quality printers (although I'm not limited by Mac compatibility when looking, either). However, I can't vouch for my current model of HP (PSC 1610v) for any of the things you listed.

I'd also say that you need to stay the hell away from anything by Lexmark. I had a Lexmark before I got my HP. It was cheaper, and I don't print much. Usually once a month at minimum. Problem with Lexmark printer was that their ink cartridges are shit and I had to replace them every month, despite how new they were previously. Save a little money to waste a lot. Don't buy Lexmarks.
  • edited February 2007
    We got a new HP printer, and its quite nice. Much better than my crappy dell one. I had nothing but problems with our old epson, but I think that was because it didn't like our print sever much.
  • edited February 2007
    I'm biased against Lexmark, because I had a really shitty printer that didn't always load and print paper in the right direction, because the feed on one end didn't work right.

But, I paid $20 for it, so I guess I got what I paid for.

HP is very good. I use them in the office where I work part time, and I never have any problems with them.
  • edited February 2007
    Thanks for the advice, particularly against the Lexmark. (Interestingly enough, I think someone in my family works for Lexmark, or used to.)