Cameras

edited July 18 in Tech
I am getting a digital camera for my birthday and I was wondering if some of you Orange Belters could bestow upon me some of your infinite knowledge, and suggest some good brands/models of digital cameras.

I am trying to get one that is under $200 and has a viewfinder on it, the Canon PowerShot SD600, so far that is my best bet, but I want to see if I can find a better one.

Comments

• edited March 2007
    Sony Cybershots are pretty good if you don't know shit about cameras and just want to take an occasional pretty picture. That's what I have. However, its zoom is not so great...
  • edited March 2007
    well are you gonna use this camera you get very frequently? or just every once in a while?
  • edited March 2007
    As often as possible I think.
  • edited March 2007
    I am paying attention to this thread, as I have the same questions as Melted.
  • edited March 2007
    I have a Sony Cybershot, and it's a dream of a camera. Easy to use, and the quality is great (7.2 Megapixels!).
  • edited March 2007
    I have seen and used the Canon SD600 and it is indeed, very sweet.

I didn't get a chance to test out the SD600 when I was buying. Instead, for $200, I got a refurbished Casio Exilim EX-Z750. Both cameras take 640x480 30fps video, and the Casio is 7.2 megapixels. It's got a pretty great user interface (buttons do what you would expect them to), and yet is deeply loaded with so many semi-pro features (seriously--do I need live histograms? do I need to be able to resize photos on the camera? do I need to edit video ON THE CAMERA??) that it's quite excellent. You don't hear much about the Casios, but apparently they've been making cameras in Japan for a LONG time. Don't take my word for it; the people who have one are quite loyal.

I've heard some of the later model Casio cameras (the follow-ons to this model) aren't as good (worse photo quality and various firmware grievances). You can get the EX-Z750 mail order from the Casio Outlet Store ($200 refurb, $250 new).

Another nifty resource to look at is the Flickr camera finder. You can see what cameras are popular among Flickr users and also see what photos from the various cameras look like online.

I've also heard that the anti-shake on the Panasonic Lumix models is REALLY good...but I didn't look at them because they had no viewfinder.

Good luck!
  • edited March 2007
    The Exilim was my first choice, and probaly would have styed that way, if only the thing had a viewfinder.

I will definetly look into the Sony CyberShot.

EDIT- The CyberShot looks really good, it has pretty much all I want, as far as I can tell.
  • edited March 2007
    The Exilim DOES have a viewfinder! (At least the EX-Z750 does. I'm looking at it right now.)