Crescent Petroleum

edited July 18 in Tech
Crescent Petroleum, an oil refining corporation based in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, has issued a request for proposals for constructing an intranet that will link its headquarters with its three facilities in the United States and Europe. McNeil Informatics, a networking consulting company, is considering responding with a proposal. Most of the work will be preformed at the company headquarters in Riyadh.

Crescent Petroleum was established 40 years ago by family members who are related by marriage to the Saudi royal family. At the company headquarters, the support staff and clerical staff include women, most of whom are related to the owners of the company. The professional, managerial, and executive staff is all male, which is traditional in Saudi corporations. Crescent is a large company, with revenues in the billions of dollars.

McNeil is a small firm-12 employees- established two years ago by Denise McNeil, a 29-year-old computer scientist with a master’s degree in computer engineering. She is working on her MBA while getting her company off the ground. Her employees include both males and females at all levels. The chief financial officer is female, as are several of the professional staff, and the technical writer is male.

Denise McNeil traveled to New York from her headquarters in Pittsburgh to attend a briefing by Crescent. All the representatives from Crescent were middle-aged Saudi men; Denise was the only female among the representatives of the seven companies that attended the briefing. When Denise shook hands with Mr. Fayed, the team leader, he smiled slightly as he mentioned that he did not realize that the McNeil informatics was run by a woman. Denise did not know what to make of his comment, but she got a strong impression that the Crescent representatives felt uncomfortable in her presence. During the break, they drifted off to speak with the men from the other six vendors, leaving Denise to stand awkwardly by herself.

On her flight back to Pittsburgh, Denise McNeil thought about the possibility of gender discrimination but decided to bid for the project anyway, because she believed her company could write a persuasive proposal. McNeil Informatics had done several projects of this type successfully in the last year.

Back at the office, she met with Josh Lipton, the technical writer, to fill him in.

“When you put in the boiler plate about the company, I’d like you to delete the stuff about me founding the company. Don’t say that a woman is the president, okay? And when you assemble the résumé of the project team, I’d like you to just use the first initials, not the first names.”

“I don’t understand, Denise. What’s going on?” Josh asked.

“Well, Crescent looks like an all-male club, very traditional. I’m not sure they would want to hire us if they knew we’ve got a lot of women at the top,” Denise replied.

“You know, Denise, there’s another problem.”

“Which is?”

“I’m thinking of the lead engineer we used in the other networking projects this year…”

“Adam Goldstein,” she said, sighing. “What do you think we ought to do?”

“I don’t know,” Josh said. “I guess we could use another person. Or kind of change his name on the résumé.”

“Let me think about this a little bit. I’ll get back to you later.”

What should Denise do about the fact that the person she wishes to designate as the lead engineer has an ethnic last name that might elicit a prejudiced reaction from Crescent officials? Is Denise’s decision to disguise the sex of her employees- and cover up her own role in founding her company- justified by common sense, or is it giving in to what she perceives as prejudice? Should she assign someone other than Adam Goldstein to run the project? Should she tailor his name to disguise his ethnicity? Present your response in a memorandum format.

Comments

• edited March 2007
    Sounds like someone wants us to do their homework for them...
  • edited March 2007
    hahaha, I will admit that it did come from my text book. It’s not an assignment though. When I read it, I wasn’t sure what the heck I would do in that sort of situation. I think I would want to tell Crescent corporation to shove off… Though it would leave less work for my employees… and creascent has teh mega bux…
  • edited March 2007
    Swallow your pride and get the money. There'll be plenty of time to change the world when you don't have to worry about starving to death.
  • edited March 2007
    I'd say keep the name Goldstein in but keep the first names as initials. :D But what do I know?!?!?!
  • edited March 2007
    I'd suggest that they blow up the ocean and end world starvation!
  • edited March 2007
    Why are they doing business dealings with Arabs anyway?
  • edited March 2007
    Why are they doing business dealings with Arabs anyway?

Yeah.
  • edited March 2007
    If you want, you can think deeper into this story. Why is it that people assume that Arabs will automatically dislike and discriminate against Jews? Does that say something about the perception of the middle east, OR is it that Arab aggression against an Israeli state makes it so that Muslim prejudice against Judaism is normal. How can racism be normal? Ugh, it’s almost like there is a stereotype that Arabs are stereotypical of Jews. Like double the double on racism. Gross.
  • edited March 2007
    The article pointed out that the company was most likely very traditional, because of that they will most likely dislike Jews as well. It's not like it's a crazy, groundless concept. It's just a very likely conclusion about a group of individuals based on the historical and modern culture.
  • edited March 2007
    You’re right. It’s just sad that the very likely conclusion is what it is.