I'm not keeping up on things!

edited July 18 in Tech
On a whim earlier I was looking at hard drives on pricewatch after thinking about how much I hate burning DVDs and as I clicked around I noticed that drive sizes and price has taken quite a jump since I bought my 120ish GB hard drive a year ago.

A 500 GB SATA hard drive costs as much as I paid for that hard drive, look. I was a little dumbfounded, I didn't even know they made drives at that capacity. It's like... 25 cents a GB opposed to the buck I paid.

My god, two of those things is a bloody terabyte. I'd never have to burn a data DVD again.

Comments

• edited April 2007
    Silly American! Don't use DVD. Use DAT, like in Soviet Russia!
  • edited April 2007
    I was under the impression that, in Soviet Russia, DAT uses YOU.

But I might have been mistaken.
  • edited April 2007
    In Soviet Russia you are not mistaken, mistakes are you!
  • edited April 2007
    Over Imperial Endor it is YOU who are mistaken, about a great many things!
  • edited April 2007
    mbhv010.jpg
  • edited April 2007
    I bought a 500 GB ATA drive for my eMac awhile back, to replace the 160 GB I'd bought previously (which replaced the computer's original 40 GB). I only just recently passed the "half-filled" mark, after packing it full of DVD-to-iPod-format rips. It's great not wanting for space, but I know it's not gonna last. Another year or two and I'll easily have it filled with episodes of The X-Files and Star Trek: The Next Generation. Hopefully I'll be able to afford a tower computer with multiple hard drive bays soon. A striped RAID of 500+ GB drives would hit the spot.
  • edited April 2007
    Hamelin wrote: »
    My god, two of those things is a bloody terabyte. I'd never have to burn a data DVD again.

That being exactly what I have in my G5 tower. It's happy. I used to have 4 externals plugged in at all times, now I can hardly remember where I put them. Everything internal is fun!
  • edited April 2007
    Why stop at 500GB? That's old. Hell, Seagate has had a 750 for a while. If you get lucky you might just find a terabyte drive. (There are reviews out for a terabyte drive from Hitachi)
    But solid state is way cooler than boring ordinary hard drives even if it comes at a fraction of the capacity. I want to see RAM drives come into the mainstream more. I'm not convinced of the capabilities of flash memory.

Also regarding cases: how about 7 bays in a SFF case? The price tag kinda kills it though.
  • edited April 2007
    You can burn DVDs? I'm still using floppy disks.
  • edited April 2007
    kukopanki wrote: »
    You can burn DVDs? I'm still using floppy disks.
    o.O