Fancy trying a new browser?

edited June 2007 in Tech
Go on, try a Windows version of safari.

Some cool features:
  • If you accidentally close the app (relatively common in OS X due to the close proximity of the Close Tab command (Cmd+W) and Close Program command (Cmd+Q), one click and you can jump right back in with all your tabs and windows.
  • Brilliant RSS feed reader
  • Ability to move and organise your tabs around

Comments

• edited June 2007
    Quit peddlin' your Mac wares 'round here!
  • edited June 2007
    I'm not going to try it, but thanks for the suggestion!
  • edited June 2007
    Takeru wrote: »
    Quit peddlin' your Mac wares 'round here!

heh, don't mind if we do. we didn't wanna share anyways, I hate it when apple does things like this. we're supposed to take care of our own, not those silly windows people. ^_^

(oooh, SERVED!)
  • edited June 2007
    Your MOM'S served.

EDIT: Heh, this is my new browser. Time to dump my ex Internet Explorer.
  • edited June 2007
    I like the tear-off tabs (click and drag a tab to make a separate window), and the Find functionality is the best I've seen on any browser. Just hit Command-F (probably Ctrl-F on the PC), type the search string, and the window dims, highlighting your search results! Check it out!

Also, Safari isn't a Mac ware if there's a Windows version. And it can't be a ware anyway, since it's not sold, but free.
  • edited June 2007
    Slowly but surely, Agentcel gets drawn ever closer to the Mac side...
  • edited June 2007
    What the heck is that page?
  • edited June 2007
    The For SCIENCE! movie page. You should be going there daily!! With Safari, your new browser.
  • edited June 2007
    And subscribe to the calendar with iCal....Oh...You know what? Scratch that part.....
  • edited June 2007
    Will it allow me to view everything I've ever wanted to view online?
  • edited June 2007
    It's what I use for desired-online-stuff-viewing, so I can only assume it'll work okay for you.
  • edited June 2007
    Night Lord wrote: »
    Slowly but surely, Agentcel gets drawn ever closer to the Mac side...

I feel like a younger Anikan Skywalker.
  • edited June 2007
    But less emo. (I hope)
  • edited June 2007
    How is this, if at all, better than Firefox?
  • edited June 2007
    I don't use Firefox much, so I wouldn't know how to compare the two. Safari's a rock-solid browser with some great unique features, limited only by its small marketshare and therefore sometimes less-than-stellar website compatibility (though I haven't run into a site that it won't work with in my daily travels for several years now, outside of a few random bank websites from banks I don't even have accounts with, so who gives a darn tootin' about them anyways). The cool Find interface I showed you is still cool. I think Firefox had something similar, but without the window-dimming and animated highlight pop-up for easy visual finding. Another cool'n: resizable text input fields! Check out the attachments below for before and after resizing.

I can only guess that Apple's push for a Windows version was to increase marketshare, or maybe it's a management tool for the iPhone, or maybe they want to increase revenue from the Google search bar (from what I hear, that's big business for browser-makers). Regardless, I enjoy it, and you should too.

If you need another reason... I'm gonna make you get a Mac some day anyway, so you might as well get acquainted with the browser now.
  • jcjc
    edited June 2007
    Safari doesn't work with Blogsmith. I need Blogsmith to get money and eat food. FAILURE.
  • edited June 2007
    Firefox doesn't support musics. And what was the point of the before and after pictures?
  • edited June 2007
    I don't like Safari, and Firefox crashes randomly for no apparent reason constantly on the macs at school (And I hate fancy animations! . I don't especially like Firefox either. I'll still stick with Opera. It's been working very nicely for me.
  • edited June 2007
    Firefox has the coolest name, so it wins.
  • edited June 2007
    If Apple is going to step into the big leagues of browsers they just gotta keep in mind that it's a dangerous place out their and they best be sure they are ready.
  • edited June 2007
    The point of the before and after pictures was for you to actually peruse the post's pertinent parts:
    mario wrote: »
    Another cool'n: resizable text input fields! Check out the attachments below for before and after resizing.

In the new version of Safari, you can resize text input fields. The first image was the field at its original size (before resizing), and the second was enlarged (as in, after resizing).

X'o'Lore: that's probably the point of releasing it as a public beta first, to work out all the kinks before it goes primetime. Also, David Maynor is a sensationalist tool that doesn't seem to understand that you report on security issues so that the company can actually fix them.
  • edited June 2007
    XoLore wrote: »
    I don't like Safari, and Firefox crashes randomly for no apparent reason constantly on the macs at school (And I hate fancy animations! . I don't especially like Firefox either. I'll still stick with Opera. It's been working very nicely for me.

Good luck. I'd still use Opera if the update didn't completely crap out on me. Now I'm stuck with an older version of safari, which hasn't given me any problems at all, really.
  • edited June 2007
    Is there really any point in arguing about this?
    Has doom taken you all?
  • edited June 2007
    I live in 1998 and I use floppy disks and netscape.