Lost in Translation

edited July 18 in Tech
Check out http://www.tashian.com/multibabel/! It shows what happens if you translate something ten (or more!) times using an online translator. What I tried:

Original English Text:
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Babelized:
How much marmot of the wood America to play, if marmot of America that
a wood could play?

Comments

• edited June 2007
    Including Japanese, Chinese, and Korean "of doom" turned into "destiny." Without those, it turned into "favorable destiny." Somehow, doom doesn't sound very favorable.
  • godgod
    edited June 2007
    "Come on you guys, lets go rescue that old man who lives in my basement and eats all of my food!" became "They are lost for you, screw to this old person of the personnel in the cellar of the wine mine, eat all the average food, excess the end to attribute exit of the end!"
  • edited June 2007
    brillig of Twas of ` and those toves, slithy, gave the form to gyre and in the honeycomb, that is gimble: those were borogoves whole and outgrabe of raths of mome mimsy.
  • edited June 2007
    That makes more sense now.
  • edited June 2007
    Today, like that one it is my name that is Inigo Montoya. They destroy my father. The situation of the red tape, of that dies.
  • edited June 2007
    meh, this one does an alright job, I still prefer cycling things through japanese and english repeatedly. Like when "Oh god!" turned into "The god of the nation of the state of Ohio." Not only did Ohio end up seceding, they got their own god. Now that's translation.
  • edited June 2007
    Nikto of the barada one of Klaatu!

SPARTA.jpg

This is fun.
  • godgod
    edited June 2007
    It seems it didn't translate a word or two back to english.

Gangster, gangster and a person of the person of the gangster! How
    much uh and is the magical instruction of lookin', of that Fermenta?
    They had taken to traverse, how much here! Leuda the calm, heat, the
    magical instruction made recently! The simple structure installs ã.
    more later the test of the verification, the end to unload disturba
    10!

Strange how it went from guy to little guy to villain to bandit to gangster. See if you can guess what Homestar quote this is.

Edit: I did another one, something about hobbits. The word hobbit is fine until you get to german, where it becomes "Main header bit". Try it.
  • edited June 2007
    Today, like that one it is my name that is Inigo Montoya. They destroy my father. The situation of the red tape, of that dies.

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."