Photoshop autosave script

edited July 2007 in Tech
Hey, I know someone here has a mac, so I wanted to know if this works:

http://www.ps-scripts.com/bb/viewtopic.php?=&p=4381

I've attached the file in case you can't get it from that forum. My real question is: What the heck is Applescript and is there any way to adapt this script (if it works) to like, vbscript or javascript that will work in Photoshop in windows.

It would really help Mys out if this worked, I cringe everytime she gets online and tells me she lost a bunch of work.

Comments

• edited July 2007
    Does photoshop not have an autosave option somewhere? Maybe I'm thinking of 3D Studio Max. I don't generally use it though, so I forget.

EDIT: That sounds like a pretty simple program to make judging by the description. I think I'll look at this more when I'm not at work.
  • edited July 2007
    Applescript is a proprietary programming language which you can use to add features to apps, for example add show what I'm playing to XChat.

The odds of it porting apps made with it to VB or JS are pretty much nil.

That being said, it should be possible to make an app like this from scratch in either of these.
  • edited July 2007
    Hey, this script works pretty well! If you're using a version of Photoshop other than CS, you might need to change some of the code (which make application-specific references to "Photoshop CS"), but otherwise it did exactly what it was supposed to. I'll be holding onto this one.

AppleScript is a pseudo-English simple programming language designed to automate normal application tasks. Here's Apple's summary on the matter. I don't think it's exactly straightforward to convert other programming languages to AppleScript, but it can make direct calls to other apps written in just about any programming language, so it should be easy enough to make an AppleScript wrapper for something written in Python or C. Or whatever.
  • edited July 2007
    Sounds like a more powerful version of batch files from the old DOS days.
  • edited July 2007
    Also by the way, AppleScript can be called inside Automator, so I've used it for things like quitting programs and such in mid automator scripts (the only one of which I use on any kind of regular basis is "update witch's brew"...) Very handy for tasks beyond automator's abilities inside the same scripts. At one point I even had a program about half done that would automatically send reminders for doing brews, only problem was that once it saw a new email, it marked it as read, and i couldn't figure a way to get it marked as unread again. (there's a command for it, but it didn't seeem to work.) Otherwise though, when i first got a panel from someone, it would create a new mail informing the next person it was their turn, and was supposed to do so every 24 hours. (oh you brewers would have hated me if i got that second part working.) By the time I got the difficulties wih finding the most recent panel sent, I realized with multiple brews going at once I'd have to create a database of brewlists and calls for subject checks, which if someone messed up their subject would make the program useless anyways, so I just said screw it. I hate programming anyways. *pout*

Oh yea, and another nifty thing about applescript is its ability to "record". (Much like photoshop actions, for you p'shoppers.) Check out the Applescript program (under utilities, if i remember right) for the program that allows recording as well as some very handy sample applescripts.
  • edited July 2007
    Aw, man, I totally need this for Windows.

Y'know, the OS that crashes more.
  • edited July 2007
    Heh, well, when you put it like that, I'll work on a version that only runs on Windows ME. :P
  • edited July 2007
    I like ME. The only reason for this is because I get to say "I like ME."

Also- I never did get to looking at this. I'm so horrid at managing my time.