Request Product Experience: Rosetta Stone

edited July 2007 in Tech
Hi everybody, John Filleau here!

In my quest to expand my worth as a human being with as little effort required on my part as possible, I've seriously been considering purchasing the computer software product known as Rosetta Stone.

However, as a(n assumedly) learn'd individual, I remain slightly skeptic about the whole thing (especially with a price tag of up to $340 for the software). My questions for you all, then, are as follows:

Who among you has experience with this product?
Of that group, what do you think of it?

For the remainder of you, respond with positive and negative wild accusations about this product. Please format all wild accusations in italics.

Comments

• edited July 2007
    I know my friends little brother had one of those products for French. He does not know French yet. Whether this is due to the program, or himself, I do not know.
  • edited July 2007
    How old was he?
  • edited July 2007
    I guess this would technically be a wild accusation since I've never used the product, but since I work in a computer repair shop, I've heard various customer accounts of the product. I sizable amount of our customers are people learning English as a second language, and they seemed to learn a lot from Rosetta Stone software. That said, I think a class with fellow peers learning the language with you is probably a more efficient way to learn.
  • edited July 2007
    Request a demo CD.

I heard that the Spanish and Italian version are the exact same thing.
  • edited July 2007
    TO MARIO: That's not wild, it's sensible. Would you mind spicing your post up a bit to make it a bit more wild?

TO KUKO: I already did!
  • edited July 2007
    The Klingon version still doesn't tell you what "P'TaQ" means.
  • jcjc
    edited July 2007
    It is a language class that you can get from a kiosk in the mall. I have low expectations.

Language software seems to be an okay way to learn a bunch of words. If it's something with reasonably familiar syntax (Spanish, other Romance languages) then you might learn to read a little. Don't expect fluency.
  • edited July 2007
    Wait...they have a klingon version? NEEEEEERRRRRDS!
  • edited July 2007
    How old was he?

He's like, 14 now I think. I saw the software sitting on a shelf probably a year ago, indicating he was probably even younger when he got it.
  • edited July 2007
    From what I've heard the method it uses is very good for getting you to learn phrases and spout out simple sentences fairly quickly. Nothing can beat the human experience, but if you're reasonably intelligent, you should be able to obtain proficiency (not fluency) with it.

use it for 5 seconds a day and you'll become fluent in just 10 hours!
  • edited July 2007
    If it does not teach you how to speak with celestial beings and learn the secrets of the universe you should demand your money back.
  • edited July 2007
    I heard that in order to gain Fluency when you're using it, you have to sacrifice children on your keyboard.
  • edited July 2007
    It is actually made of stone, it will ruin your CD-drive.
  • edited July 2007
    Well, when I worked in a computer store, i can tell you people asked for rosetta stone more than any of the other language software, despite the price gap. I've heard decent things about them, but I relly think this would serve better as a supplement to an actual class. Speaking with people is infinitely more valuable.
  • edited July 2007
    I would like to know why no has invented a pill that teaches you stuff.
  • edited July 2007
    I blame the government.
  • edited July 2007
    It will probably be fine for Latin based languages, Germanic and Romance, because of how similar they are to English. Once you start getting away from those, I wouldn't expect much.

Plus, a lot of it depends on you. If you're self motivated and good at making yourself do things, then it will work better for someone who can never force himself to study if he won't get a grade for it.
  • edited July 2007
    But, but we demand immediate gratification with no effort!

...In America