Comic-Con 2008

edited July 2008 in Travel and Meetups
Anyone going to Comic-Con this year? I'm gonna be driving down with Paul and Carlo, and would be thrilled to meet up with somebody. We'll be going on Friday (Saturday tickets sold out a long time ago, sadly), and it looks like there are still a few passes left for that day, so if you're thinking you might wanna hit that up, act quickly!

Comments

• edited July 2008
    Where is this? California?
  • edited July 2008
    I have to take the New England alternative, Connecticon. Sowwy.
  • edited July 2008
    Perfectly understandable! It's a shame they have to fall on the same weekend every other year.

illithid: yes. Also, looks like they sold out of Friday passes. I seem to recall them taking longer to sell out in past years. Guess it's gonna be packed to the gills!
  • edited July 2008
    Oh you silly Californians. I will not be able to attend, obviously. But I wish you a good time.
  • edited July 2008
    Next year, I'm totally gonna go to A-kon and try to rally up a bunch of the forum members to meet them. I've known a bunch of you guys for a really long time, but due to not having a license, being under age, and following the 'no meeting male peoples you met on the internet until you're this age' rule has made it pretty impossible for me to meet up with anyone. I think I'm old enough now though! Or at least... I definitely will be next year. But does anyone go to A-kon? I think it's always the first week of June, held in Dallas.
  • edited July 2008
    North Dakota only has conventions for cowboys and Jehovah's Witnesses, and it's exactly far away enough from every decent convention ever to make the trip not worth it.
  • edited July 2008
    I'm sorta stuck for conventions like this. I just don't have it in me to make a trip to one of these things half way across the country alone and I don't have anyone that'd be willing to go with on such a trip. GDC was quite enough for me for a while.

EDIT: And I suppose I could say that what Tak says about North Dakota is no less true for Minnesota.
  • edited July 2008
    If I can manage the cash i'll go to connecticon but comic-con, haha no way :[
  • edited July 2008
    Also showing up: Little Kuriboh! Neat!
  • edited July 2008
    There's only one reason I can think of that I would feel obligated to go, and I doubt it's gonna happen.

FuriKuri%20Haruko.gif
  • edited July 2008
    There's usually quite a bit of FLCL merch there. But no, I doubt the real Haruko will show up. Well, probably on Saturday, that's usually the big day for high-profile panels.
  • edited July 2008
    (shhhhh... i wasn't referring to the real haruko, just a certain someone in costume.) ;)
  • edited July 2008
    ...Me? Sorry, I don't have long enough hair.
  • edited July 2008
    (no, you know who... and shhhhhhhhhhhh! she'll hear you! And then I'll get yelled at for suggesting it again!)
  • edited July 2008
    Mish?
  • edited July 2008
    Mamimi?
  • edited July 2008
    Miss Scarlet? In the conservatory with a candlestick?
  • edited July 2008
    D) none of the above.
  • edited July 2008
    Im pretty sure hes talking about behemoth.
  • edited July 2008
    ... yes. and Jakey. Jakey as the vespa, behemoth as haruko. and Mario as the rickenbacker.
  • edited July 2008
    It's squeegee and bungee and grungey...we're in trouble, Chi.
  • edited July 2008
    I wish I knew what the hell you all were talking about.
  • edited July 2008
    I'm not sure you do.
  • edited July 2008
    geoko wrote: »
    (no, you know who... and shhhhhhhhhhhh! she'll hear you! And then I'll get yelled at for suggesting it again!)

...It could work and look quite awesome if done right. No pink wigs and avoid bright colors. Leather doesn't really work in bright red. Trying to literally match anime characters' wardrobes doesn't work in real life. It just looks silly. You need to picture what the character might look like in real life rather than a cartoon. Translate the bright colors into something that makes more sense. Y'know?

Such a thing is likely beyond the abilities of most to pull off though.
  • edited July 2008
    hmmm... well... let's see. It has to be close enough for the effect, yet not so horrible she won't wear it. a few minutes with amazon and -

This looks decent for the jacket.
    511ZfJ5D2aL._AA280_.jpg
    $189.99

leather gloves:
    51t36wDFq4L._SS500_.jpg
    $30

knee highs
    31Yu-Za3LwL._AA280_.jpg
    $39.99

black tights should be easy and cheap.

now all i need is some pilot's goggles.

and presto!
    replica WWII motorcycle goggles
    41%2BoZwdBH0L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    $14.99

throw in some purple hair dye for a total of about $300.

now i just need to find a good deal on a rickenbacker.
  • edited July 2008
    Do it!

Edit: On topic, I sometimes visit the stumptown comic fest but as an actual portlander, I hate all the people who hang out there. yecch. And who's idea was it too use portland as an adjective? ...oh wait this is local stuff, so you couldn't care less right?
  • edited July 2008
    I hope you all realize that as soon as *she who shan't be named for my own safety* sees this, i'm dead.
  • edited July 2008
    ... I didn't know I sware
  • edited July 2008
    For the record: I had nothing to do with Geoff's crazy cosplay plan. Except for supporting the possible purchase of a yellow Vespa.
  • edited July 2008
    geoko wrote: »
    Wait again? How many times have you suggested this?
    (So are we talking about Mish? I'm confused :( )