Huckleberry Finn

Comments

• edited July 2008
    Wow... I gotta look into that book.

Serephel, what if the woman has a book on tape WHILE cooking? Would she still be attractive?

And about Huckleberry Finn, I never read it because it didn't look like one of the better books I could choose to read on the booklists I was given in high school. I probably should have read it, but eh, I got the BS school-skit version of it in english class in 9th grade. That's also how I learned the story of Animal Farm, and yet I can actually remember most everything about Animal Farm.

I've heard of the Twilight series and my mom keeps telling me I should read it, but I think right now I'm thinking of them as books that I'll get to eventually, after I finish every other book I've been putting off for the past year.
  • edited July 2008
    I dunno Mish... she could learn some rebellious ideas from books. But, I guess as long as dinner is made, I don't care. Cookbooks on tape would be preferred.

(by the way, I'm being completely ironic just for the sake of being a dick, just in case it's not obvious)

Oh, and George Orwell should be mandatory reading.
  • edited July 2008
    FOUR LEGS GOOD
  • edited July 2008
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.
  • edited July 2008
    Yeah, I remember thinking "Wow, Animal Farm sounds like a really good book!"

Huckleberry Finn seemed more like comic relief next to Of Mice and Men, haha.

I wonder if they make cookbooks on tape?
  • edited July 2008
    Serephel wrote: »
    That's cool, Queen, it's just that I disagree. Whenever I see a Whitegirl reading a book, I see a Blackman who isn't having his dinner cooked.

Racist against white people, check. Sexist against women, check.

Fixed. Now you have both.

Oh and I have to read Hucklberry Finn along with The catcher and the rye for AP English next year...>_> I havent started yet. CURSE YOU FINAL FANTASY TACTICS!
  • edited July 2008
    Serephel wrote: »
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

*Doublethink*
    I saw nothing.

Also I enjoyed A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthurs Court probably because Twain went a little off the deep end by then.
  • edited July 2008
    Oh Serephel, your racism/sexism knows no bounds.
  • edited July 2008
    Catcher In The Rye is a pretty good book... I don't think I liked it near as much as a bunch of people in my english class when we read it, but eh. I actually first tried to read the book when I was about 9 years old, and I remember getting to one part where this guy in the elevator Holden was in was getting mad for some reason, and there was a girl, and I was so confused. I decided that I would try to read the book when I was older and knew more... good move on my part. Since they didn't actually address what was going on, I didn't know what was happening when I was 9, BUT I certainly recognized when I was in high school that Holden was dealing with a prostitute. I actually laughed when I got to that part... just funny thinking "Ohhhh so THAT'S what that was..."
  • edited July 2008
    Hahah I heard from one of my friends that the book was AMAZING, like its the best book shes ever read. i was gonna start it this morning but now im too tired to take notes xD

they really made you read it at 9? Isnt it about insane people? idk i havent read it but thats what i heard
  • edited July 2008
    I think that was one of those books they made us sign permission slips for.
  • edited July 2008
    I have never read Huck Finn. I remember in 10th grade my English class read Fallen Angels, but one kid's parents objected to its realistic portrayal of American Imperialism, and he had to read Huck Finn instead. I think this was the only case in the history of American education where Huck Finn was the alternative to a controversial book.
  • edited July 2008
    That's amazing. I bet that kid grew up to be a winner.
  • edited July 2008
    *Erherm* Winnar.
  • edited July 2008
    I think he designs Christian video games now. I lost track of him and he isn't on Facebook, which means he doesn't exist to me.
  • edited July 2008
    Did he make The Bible Game?
  • edited July 2008
    Panda wrote: »
    they really made you read it at 9? Isnt it about insane people? idk i havent read it but thats what i heard

Definitely not, I read lots of books in my spare time in elementary school and picked it out of a bookshelf once. I think my mom might have told me it was a good book. I'm thinking she either thought I wouldn't read it, or that I would understand it and I would learn a little about the world.

I don't think my school had such things as permission slips to read books... but I think back and I don't think we read anything that controversial (in today's age anyway).
  • edited July 2008
    I cant even believe how stupid that is. Permission slips for books, good god, if they can understand it they can handle it. damn.

oh and Takeru, you just passed 1,234 posts :[
  • edited July 2008
    I had to get a permission slip to read Lord of the Flies. Not because kids murder each other, but because when they hunt and kill the pig it symbolizes rape.
  • edited July 2008
    My response to that is that symbolizes a bunch of starving children needing some goddamn food.
  • edited July 2008
    Huck Finn was alright, certainly better than Tom Sawyer.

I didn't read it until after high school on a whim, but I've found I've enjoyed no traditionally high school reading more than Fahrenheit 451.
  • edited July 2008
    Ach, i read 451 in middle school and i really didn't like it all that much. By 'all that much' i mean i hated it. :]
  • edited July 2008
    Dude, whatever. I <3 Ray Bradbury.
  • edited July 2008
    I didn't like the ending, mostly because I find it implausible that someone can remember an entire book verbatim without making mistakes. Also, it's completely idiotic to entrust a single book to a single person; if the establishment ever decided to simply kill that guy, then The Iliad is gone forever!
  • edited July 2008
    Panda wrote: »
    Ach, i read 451 in middle school and i really didn't like it all that much. By 'all that much' i mean i hated it. :]
    Same here. Too young to understand, probably.
  • edited July 2008
    I dunno, i was a pretty understanding youngster, i really just didnt enjoy it
  • edited July 2008
    Apparently not understanding enough. Ray Bradbury is awesome. Illustrated Man yo.
  • edited July 2008
    Hahaha my boyfriend's a big fan of Bradbury and I actually read the Illustrated Man before 451, and I liked 451 a lot. Illustrated Man just bothered me, because all of the stories had the exact same feel to them, and I just got the feeling that Bradbury had a weird obsession with censorship and rocketships. Seriously. Anytime I read a book and the writer's personality stands out above the story itself, I get turned off from the book. One reason why I don't like Kate Chopin... whenever I read her stories, all I read is "extremist feminism hurrah."

451 I liked though, more now than I did when I read it first. Amazingly enough, I actually really enjoyed reading Crime and Punishment; I think I'm one of a select few students I know who ever enjoyed it. I also read Steinbeck's East of Eden in high school, and I absolutely loved that book. School readings lists for me weren't all that shabby. :)

I also enjoyed reading In Cold Blood... not sure why we HAD to read it, but it was good anyway.

Best school book ever though was one I had to read for World History, called Salt: A History. I think it was around 300 pages, and that's all it was-- a history of salt. I'm pretty sure I might actually be able to read through it NOW, but as a sophomore, I think maybe 2 people in the entire grade actually read it.
  • edited July 2008
    Well, I do like to delve into the minutae of salt's history when at a cocktail party. Good ice breaker.
  • edited July 2008
    It was actually pretty interesting, the part that killed me was about 90 pages in the author starts talking about the fishing ships, and how they used salt to preserve everything they caught so that they could feed everyone. That part wasn't so bad, but he started going WAY too into Cod fish, which he had written ANOTHER book before about the cod fish's history... and that's when the author's obsession of Cod and Salt distracted me from the book, and I couldn't read any more of it without being weirded out. Again with the author personality factor!