Music Appreciation Thread

Comments

• edited October 2008
    It really is cool music, my only problem with it is that I'm really sensitive to people singing out of tune, she isn't but her vibrato is so big she sounds like it half the time. It doesn't help that I'm no fan of female vocalists.
  • edited October 2008
    You have perfect pitch? One of my close friends from high school had that, and he couldn't listen to a lot of music because of that. Off pitch singers would give him headaches. I have a terrible music ear, so I reached a musical ceiling pretty early on in my middle and high school career.

Although it was always hilarious when he'd hear a door chime in a store and randomly declare "that chime sounds funny because it's a diminished 7th chord" or something to that extent.
  • edited October 2008
    Nughtwish's new siner sucks. She looks like a pop princes. Fuck.
  • edited October 2008
    I don't mind if their out of tune as much if they have really clear tone. That or they have a relatively clear tone a smaller vibrato. Otherwise I'm a stickler for accuracy.
  • edited December 2008
    Lisa Miskovsky - Still Alive (Mirrors Edge OST)
  • edited December 2008
    Even if you don't read Scary go Round, John Allison is doing his annual Albums of the Year countdown. Everything I've listened to from his list so far is brilliant. I suggest you look into everything in the list.

http://www.scarygoround.com/?date=20081229
  • edited January 2009
    Hey, Kuko, who's the singer of your song, I love it.
  • edited January 2009
    It's a band called The Format, the song's called Dog Problems.
  • edited January 2009
    I've had this song stuck in my head for about 3 weeks now:

• edited January 2009
    SLIPKNOT - Psychosocial

I find this music video of theirs really interesting.
  • edited January 2009
    (Actual song starts at 0:48, with a little improvisational bits in the middle-- Bach maybe?)

When I first heard this song on Pandora, I really really liked it just from how it sounded. I'll admit it, I'm a sucker for hearing violin played in a song with actual singing that isn't written for a church. I was interested enough to hear it again, so I looked it up on youtube. I figured out, it's all just one guy messing with music loops that he makes on the spot, and pretty much thought to myself THAT'S SO COOL.

So, even though that was a while back, I'll share it here and see if anyone else thinks it's completely awesome how he performs it live, with one violin, every performance. That performance isn't the best on, but it was one of the better quality recordings that actually shows him playing and using the loops.

Awesome stuff! You can see him messing with pedals at his feet to control where to start recording, when to start it again, and all that fun technical stuff.
  • edited January 2009
    You can't forget Faith No More....

• edited January 2009
    Is this video doesn't convince you that The Aquabats are seriously the best band in the world, you suck.

EDIT: Hrmm, I tried embedding the video but it didn't work. Very odd. Just go here instead.

Do it!
  • edited January 2009
    Sorry to bring back a 'sort-of-dead' thread but illithid, was 'Ghost of Perdition' really on Blackwater Park? Because i've got that album but I dont seem to have that song...such a shame it seems good.
  • edited January 2009
    Huh...I never noticed that the opening image says Blackwater Park. That's strange. This song is actually from 'Ghost Reveries', which I like much better than Blackwater Park.
  • edited January 2009
    Ahh, I see. I'm a huge Opeth fan but admittedly I haven't heard of Ghost Reveries until today. It's an amazing album and I love all of it, especially Reverie/Harlequin Forest....But anyway, thanks for having a good taste in music haha
  • edited January 2009
    Hey, no problem. =D It's nice when I get to meet the few people who have similar tastes. And yes... I think Reverie/Harlequin Forest is one of their best songs on that CD. You should also try Watershed. It's their newest CD. It's different from Ghost Reveries, but still good.
  • edited March 2009
    Found a good artist by the name of Benji Hughes. Not only does he have a kick ass beard, but his music is funny without losing any semblance of its goodness (like Weird Al, whom I despise.)

Here's one of his better songs, it's awesome.
  • edited March 2009

Sorry to put more from the same band here, but this song is much different, and ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL.

It's Opeth's "Windowpane". It's from their album Damnation, which was the second in a dual album release. The first, Deliverance, is one of their heaviest ever, and Damnation is completely soft.

I love it... the vocals, the solos, it sounds amazing to me.
  • edited March 2009
    Ahhh I've been listening to Damnation a lot more lately, almost as much as Ghost Reveries. For me it takes a second best to GR but this track is, as you said, absolutely beautiful.

On a sort of related topic, their newest album, Watershed....well I didn't like it too much. Only the track 'The Lotus Eater' really stood out for me. But otherwise Opeth is generally amazing.
  • edited March 2009
    I would ask how many times you listened to it... one of my friends is a HUGE Opeth fan, and he didn't like it at first, but he kept with it for a bit and now he loves it.

I felt the same way. Now I love it as much.. perhaps even more than, Ghost Reveries. Hessian Peel is probably my favorite track. If you haven't listened to it more than a few times I would recommend going back and trying it again. I feel like the songs have slightly more variety than on Ghost Reveries... for me Ghost of Perdition through Through the Mire are all one big blendy hard track (not that that's necessarily a terrible thing, I freaking love those songs) and I don't think the soft tracks on that album perform as well as the soft parts on Watershed.

But of course, you may never grow into it, or you may have tried it multiple times already, and of course that's fine. Just hoping that you don't miss out on something you might possibly really enjoy.
  • edited March 2009
    South Austin Jug Band - Jack-Ass

Beautiful cover of one of Beck's best songs.
  • edited April 2009

Here's something that's NOT from Opeth. It's from a band called Eluveitie... the song is "Slania's Song". It's interesting for a number of reasons. First, it's folk metal, so it includes a lot of interesting instruments (like the hurdy-gurdy!) on top of the traditional metal instruments. Also, the hurdy-gurdy player sings most of this song (the rest of the album is vocalized by the male vocalist in this song) and I like her vocals. Also, the name of the song as well as the album, Slania, was the name of a girl that the lead singer saw on a tombstone. She died 2,500 years ago. I think that's awesome.

And finally, it's written and sung in Gaulish, a now extinct language! And it's not just random... this is a Swiss band, and many Gaulish artifacts have been found there. In particular, this is kind of a national anthem for Helvetia, a nationality that is now located roughly in Switzerland.

So yeah, interesting stuff.
  • edited June 2009
    Ok, I don't know if you've hear about them or not, but prepare yourselves for BEATALLICA. That's right: These guys decided to mix songs from The Beatles with the style and lyrics of Metallica. The result? Sheer awesome. It's great if you actually are familiar with both bands, so you can appreciate the little changes they make to the lyrics.

I present to you: Sgt. Hettfield's Motorbreath Pub Band.

It was 20 years ago today Motorhead taught this band to play
    At first they were so out of style now they’re guaranteed to raise your bile
    So may I introduce to you, the band that drank 1000 beers
    Sgt. Hetfield’s Motorbreath Pub Band!

Sgt. Hetfield’s Motorbreath pub band, we hope you will enjoy the show
    Sgt. Hetfield’s Motorbreath pub band, just thrash and let the metal flow
    Sgt. Hetfield’s Motor, Sgt. Hetfield’s Motor, Sgt. Hetfield’s Motorbreath pub band

It’s wonderful to drink beer, It’s certainly a swill
    You’re such a lovely audience
    We’d like to play you Motorbreath We’d love to play it, yeah!

I don’t really want to stop the show but I thought you might like to know
    James is gonna sing a song and he wants you all to thrash along
    So let me introduce to you, the band who drank 1000 beers
    Sgt. Hetfield’s Motorbreath pub band

Drink more beer!
  • edited December 2009
    I love this song by Maria Mena:
  • edited January 2010
    Rey Fresco, spanish for "King Cool." Not extremely unique when it comes to song writing, but the addition of the veracruz harp makes it beautiful.
  • edited July 2010
    Double Post

Gogol Bordello
  • edited July 2010
    Yeah! Gogol Bordello's awesome.

I have a very unhealthy obsession with Muse, but instead I'll post something from Streetlight Manifesto, the best ska band ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuuJRsBiPho&feature=channel
  • edited July 2010
    deku12345 wrote: »
    I have a very unhealthy obsession with Muse, but instead I'll post something from Streetlight Manifesto, the best ska band ever.

Absolutely agreed, Everything Goes Numb is a must have for any ska fan.