Music Appreciation Thread

124»

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Does anyone here like/appreciate metal? In my absence I've found a few sweet pieces.
  • edited August 2013
    I listen to some, but generally the more accessible stuff.
  • edited August 2013
  • edited August 2013
    As far as metal, I listen to some stuff, like Black Sabbath.

I listen to a lot more of the type of rock that's super hard but isn't classified as metal for some reason, like Lightning Bolt or DFA1979 or Big Black.

I don't know, the way people menacingly talk about metal genres makes me apprehensive to delve in to the genre.
  • edited August 2013
    Menacingly? What do you mean? You mean the way fans talk or the way non-fans talk?

Also, Jon, I liked that Municipal Waste song. Would you classify that as punk?
  • edited August 2013
    I think they're more firmly in the metal camp.
  • edited August 2013
    Like, stuff like when people obsess over the distinction between black and doom metal, or get overly obsessive about subgenres, things like that. And it makes me feel like people get really really particular about them too. I dunno, electronic music is kind of that way too and I just ignore it, but maybe that's because I got in to a lot of EDM prior to getting all mixed up around the confusing and occasionally redundant subgenres...
  • edited August 2013
    I've found it best not to commit to being "in" to specific types of music. Music that works for me works for me and stuff that doesn't doesn't. I'll give most anything a minute to listen.
  • edited August 2013
    I prefer to respond with an "in to right now" kind of answer, since I just move so quickly between different kinds of stuff, but yeah, I do agree that one should be option to taking some time out of their day to try out a new song or two that someone recommends to them.
  • edited August 2013
    Well in that case, you may enjoy hearing some Horrobilly music. This is The Creepshow.

First track is 'Zombies Ate Her Brain'

This second track is 'Hellbound'

• edited September 2013
    I'm in the mood for some of The Offspring today