job complaining thread

Comments

• jcjc
    edited March 2006
    Nato: if you come into my 'I can't find a job' thread and talk about having a ridiculously wonderful job, wouldn't it be safe to assume that there is one small piece of information that I would like to know?

Seriously. Don't be a tease. And congratulations.

Also, it looks like I'm going to go to library school.
  • edited March 2006
    If you'd like to know Nato's job, it's right under his name.

He's a full-time underdog.
  • jcjc
    edited March 2006
    If you'd like to know Nato's job, it's right under his name.

He's a full-time underdog.

I wouldn't want your job.
  • edited March 2006
    I cleaned bathrooms for $20 an hour over the summer. Definately not a fun job, but how many other 16 year olds make $20 an hour?
  • edited March 2006
    Those must've been some frightening bathrooms if they had to spring that much money. Most college students don't make $20 an hour; a fair amount don't even make half that.
  • edited March 2006
    Yeah, that's twice my state's minimum wage. Which is also deku's state.
  • edited March 2006
    Only twice? $10 is actually pretty decent around my area. $20 is a crazy stupid large amount for a college kid from my perspective.
  • edited March 2006
    $20 and hour is a pretty nice level of moeny for recent college graduates. You know, the kind with careers and stuff.
  • edited March 2006
    Basically what I think everyone here is saying is that you had better have cleaned those toilets really, really well.
  • edited March 2006
    Lang, your state's minimum wage is $6.75-- I know this because that was my salary this fall. (During my I Hate California phase.) That makes Deku's salary pretty darn impressive-- a full thrice minimum wage! I picture him with a roll of cash the size of a soda can in his pocket at all times, carefully peeling off bills to make purchases.

John, no more Jew jokes. We've talked about this before.
  • edited March 2006
    I recently worked in the Governor's office, but only for a week. I got to see an angry mob with signs and yelling and all, though!
  • jcjc
    edited March 2006
    Minimum wage for me was $5.25.

And I don't know if I'll make $20 an hour ever. Way to completely eclipse my goal salary while also ensuring public health, deku. Dammit.
  • edited March 2006
    Public health jobs always make a lot of money! Garbage collectors are rollin' in dough! ... and garbage. So that's your trade-off.
  • jcjc
    edited March 2006
    They deserve it. I mean, I don't know what kind of garbage you guys make, but mine's always old food and such.

Same goes for people like Deku who clean(ed) toilets: they deserve a lot of money, because I have, on occasion, used toilets as receptacles for body waste. Sorry about that.
  • edited March 2006
    I know not of jobs or income!

Bleh!
  • edited March 2006
    You will. Oh how you will. Even if you didn't need money, with no job you would become desperately bored. The less you have to do, the less you feel like doing things. At least that's how it seems to be to me.
  • edited March 2006
    Yeah. I'll probably have to get a job to pay the college bills in a year and a half.
  • edited March 2006
    When you get to Davis, do NOT work at Chamonix.
  • edited March 2006
    When you get to Davis, DO work at Chamonix.
  • edited March 2006
    Do not contradict the Stef!
  • edited March 2006
    Oh shit, John's going down!
  • edited March 2006
    Apologies for the late response. I work for these guys, and it's great.

-- Nato
  • edited March 2006
    Ok, I forgot about this before but I've remembered it again.
    Stef wrote:
    ...I have a master's degree in engineering,...

What kind of engineering if I might ask? Just curious.
  • edited March 2006
    I have to get a job too this year. I still don't know if I have been lucky or not, since my previous jobs have been related to what I study (set design), but it consumes a lot of time for a couple of months and isn't that well payed.
  • edited March 2006
    Nuki, I didn't know you studied set design. That's pretty awesome.

Lore, my M.S. is in Engineering Mechanics, which is similar to mechanical engineering except there's more SCIENCE! involved. I usually just tell people that the degree was mechanical engineering, for simplicity.

And yeah, I'm mad-jealous of Nato's job. It sounds so cool.
  • jcjc
    edited March 2006
    I wish I could work for a website. Honestly.
  • edited March 2006
    I'll create a set made out of toasted bread for you, Stef.
  • edited March 2006
    Years ago, I worked in a clothing store. It was ok except when we had outside sales. They put a tent up in the parking lot. The co-workers and I pushed the clothing racks out underneath. Mind you, they are not made for pushing across concrete. Then I'd have to stand under the tent in 90 degree weather for 6-8 hours.

I had water with me,but still the heat from the pavement made feel like I was in an inferno. I went on my lunch break. The old co-worker filled in. Afterwards, she told me she couldn't stand it so we pushed the racks back in. Now if I would have complained, I wouldn't have been allowed to do that so I'm glad she did.
  • edited April 2006
    Update: I got a job as the 2nd Art Director Assistant in a small TV series.
  • edited April 2006
    Congratulations! Tell me the name of the show so I can pirate it! Only because it probably doesn't air around here.