Food!

Comments

• edited July 2010
    But does In N Out have a sign that tells where the potatoes for your fries came from each day?
  • edited July 2010
    Yes, they heavily tout the freshness of their products and their quality-control. Also, they cut the potatoes on site, so you can often see a stack of potatoes behind the cashier.

Does Five Guys have secret bible verses hidden on the food wrappers and soda cups?
  • edited July 2010
    Nope. I've heard that about In N Out though. Five Guys just gives you your food and let's you live your life.
  • edited July 2010
    I don't see how any of those burgers can compare to Friendly's Grilled Cheese Burger Melt

grilledcheeseburgermelt.jpg
  • edited July 2010
    There's only one piece of meat on it? That's not a fucking burger.
  • edited July 2010
    The Five Guys here makes the divider for the "get food" line out of bags of potatoes, or at least they did when I was there. Also, each bag makes sure it reminds you no less then five times that they're Idaho potatoes. Ironically, I thought the fries were pretty terrible.
    Behemoth wrote: »

Indeed, though I think Arby's pushed the "You need more then one piece of meat" rule a bit far.
  • edited July 2010
    I just realized I never tried a KFC Double Down while I was in the US. They don't carry them in China, because KFC doesn't hate its Chinese customer base.
  • edited July 2010
    Takeru wrote: »
    I ate at the Five Guys that just opened up near my apartment, and my god was it awesome. Best burger I've ever had.

If Five Guys was open right now I would walk there and eat burgers.
  • godgod
    edited July 2010
    I've never been to Five Guys.
  • edited July 2010
    It's not as glamorous as everyone makes it out to be, it's just a burger place, an awesome burger place to be sure, but still just a burger place.
  • edited July 2010
    Behemoth wrote: »

Seconded.

I mean, seriously, there isn't even any bacon in there.
  • edited July 2010
    I drive by a Five Guys almost every day, multiple times if I do, and yet I've still never eaten there. Maybe I'll go out tonight!
  • edited July 2010
    Besides, we live in Idaho Mike, even the Burger King uses Idaho potatoes here because they're basically the cheapest ones you can get.
  • edited July 2010
    While they might be really cheap, Idaho potatoes are actually really hard to find in Idaho, not so much here, but go up the pan handle they're near impossible to get.
  • edited July 2010
    So Greg and my roommate and I went to Five Guys last night... it was a pretty dang good burger. I'd go there again sometime, but it'll probably stay a rare occasion for me. I'm the the BIGGEST fan of burgers, and these were quite expensive!
  • edited July 2010
    A whole meal will run you $10+, but if you honestly just go there for a burger and regular fries, it can still be within a good price range.
  • edited July 2010
    Yeah, I was going for the whole meal and I ended up with way too much food. I think that's the first time I've ever left a burger joint with left-over fries-- usually I don't have near enough left to save them.

If I do go there again I'll probably get less food with different toppings. It'll be delicious!
  • edited July 2010
    None of you will ever know the pure joy of chip shop chips.

Or battered sausages.

So I think I win on this one :D
  • edited July 2010
    Are you really saying that Americans aren't acquainted with horrific fried foods?
  • edited July 2010
    Of course not. However, chip shop chips have a taste all their own that fries from fast food establishments lack.
  • edited July 2010
    We have specialty fries too! I defy any country to out-obsesen American cuisine!
  • edited July 2010
    Freedom Fries hell yeah.
  • edited July 2010
    If you want fries go the original. Fries COVER the tray, with a freaking small cup in the middle. Pretty funny actually.

EDIT: GM btw :3
  • edited July 2010
    I used to work near this place. We'd get food from there for lunch sometimes. Sort of a favorite local grease pit. All this talk of burgers and fries kinda makes me want some now.
  • edited July 2010
    Night Lord wrote: »
    None of you will ever know the pure joy of chip shop chips.

Or battered sausages.

So I think I win on this one :D

It's true. English chips are on their own level of grease and crappiness, that hits the spot so well. Also we don't ruin our pickles with sugar.

That said, Australia has transcended even the English on a couple of points (although they constantly fuck up pickles with sugar).

Australians have made the chip and gravy pizza, with beef. Also the cheese sausage (which is truly the pinnacle of service-station foods).
  • edited July 2010
    jidanbing.jpg

This is my breakfast. It is street food at its finest. It is called 鸡蛋饼 (jidanbing), and it roughly translates to 'egg pancake'.

Basically, the cook takes a batter similar to pancake batter, but thinner and more elastic. They spread the batter in a long, thin circle along a flat grilling surface, and then they crack an egg over the top and spread it over the batter. They let it cook for about ten seconds, and then they sprinkle green onions on it and flip it.

Then, they sprinkle on a variety of vegetables and other stuff that you can pick from. Mine has potatoes, cucumbers, and a spicy/sour cabbage, all covered in a light spicy sauce. Then a twist of fried dough is placed in the middle. The whole thing is folded over a couple times, popped in a plastic bag, and served.

Total cost: $0.29.
  • edited July 2010
    I want to eat like that for 29 cents :(
  • edited July 2010
    Sepherel, expect a call from me if I ever open my Southern-style sushi place.
  • edited July 2010
    It looks like a chimichanga.
  • edited July 2010
    Looks like an alien egg, tbh.