Food!

Comments

• edited January 2010
    I want to have it in my stomach.
  • edited March 2010
    Dude. Cheese sticks are delicious. Sargento sharp cheddar? Holy crap.
  • edited March 2010
    I made some awesome breakfast this morning, eggs, sausage, hashbrowns, and waffles. And tonight, I'm making white bean and chicken chili. Photos to come later.
  • edited March 2010
    Nice! Paul, Nicole and I made a delicious French toast and sausage breakfast this morning. Nicole whipped up some nice thick berry smoothies.
  • edited March 2010
    The cooking begins
    fd566w.jpg

The chicken broth came in a can that had a pop top like a soda, it was awesome
    1zb9su0.jpg

The texture is starting to show
    11bt72x.jpg

I made strawberry shakes, too
    mru1w8.jpg

The finished product
    8yw8k4.jpg

My eating area, and a Detroit Lions garden gnome Melinda got me.
    10hqgle.jpg
  • edited March 2010
    That gnome looks delicious!
  • edited March 2010
    ooOOOooo

That looks yummy
  • edited March 2010
    Better eating than all the darn cookies I've been eating today. Goodness, they left me alone in the house ALL DAY with the cookies just sitting there. What did they think was gonna happen?
  • edited April 2010
    Coffee Stout: I'm making it. I was very disappointed though, I did a Google search for "coffee beer" and found it is not even close to an original idea.

EDIT: I made pomegranate wheat ale and it came out quite tasty.

Next week I made a standard nut brown ale. I have to make a normal beer every few weeks or people complain.
  • edited April 2010
    OH BOY! You guys are in for a treat today! I finally wrote down how I make my chili and I am going to share my coveted recipe with all of you.

Sauce: (anything with a measurement other than oz is an approximation)
    56oz of tomato sauce, puree and/or crushed tomato
    28oz of diced tomatoes (so, 3 large cans of tomato stuff to be used as a base for the sauce)
    29oz each of kidney, black, and pinto beans
    half a white onion (chopped or sliced)
    half a red onion (diced into little bitty pieces)
    at least 1 red bell pepper, any other bell peppers you like
    JALAPENOS!!!(diced smallish)
    .5 cups of minced garlic
    1 tsp Blair's Mega Death Sauce
    .25 cups of Tabasco sauce
    .20 cups of Cholula hot sauce
    some parsley, basil, and oregano
    lots of ground black pepper, and garlic powder
    lots and lots of onion powder
    lots and lots and lots of chili powder (I probably did about 1.5 cups in the end)

Instructions:
    Add it all to a large pot and mix it up. Cook the white onion and half of the bell peppers with some minced garlic in olive oil in frying pan until the onion is translucent, add it all to the sauce. Add the raw red onion last. Remember, you can always add more later if you need, so go easy on the powders if you're not sure at first.

MEAT!: (all measurements are approximations)
    2-3 lbs of ground meat from the animal of your choice
    half a white onion (diced smallish)
    1-2tbs minced garlic
    2-3tbs cayenne, onion, garlic, and chili powders, and black pepper
    1tbs paprika
    1tsp curry powder (go light)
    1tsp cumin (go a little heavy)
    1tsp Blair's Sudden Death Sauce
    .25 cups of Tabasco Sauce and Cholula hot sauce
    3oz balsamic vinegar

Instructions:
    Mix it all in a bowl. Cook it in a frying pan with some olive oil. Use a high flame for beef and a medium to low flame for poultry. Add the meat to the sauce before adding the red onion.

Let the whole thing simmer until it's at a consistency you like, stir every 3-5 minutes, to avoid burning the bottom.

EDIT EDIT: To make it meatless, add approx 50% more beans and some more cooked bell peppers to thicken the chili. Add the balsamic vinegar, cumin, curry, and paprika directly to the sauce at the beginning and add some extra hot sauce to suit your taste. You can also try meat substitutes. Firm tofu is typically recommended in place of beef, you drain the tofu then wrap it in a cloth for about 10-20 minutes to dry it, then just crumble it and mix it like the meat. I really don't like tofu (except sweet fried tofu, of course), but if anything would ever cover up the flavor, it would be this.

EDIT: Picture
    Picture003-2.jpg
  • edited April 2010
    Aww, it has meat. Well, your recipe for the actual chili part looks pretty good, though, so I may try that.
  • edited April 2010
    Just add more beans in place of meat and add the balsamic vinegar directly to the sauce. I meant to mention that in the original recipe. I have done it meatless before. Add 50% more beans and some more sauteed peppers to get the consistency right.

EDIT: fixed for a meatless option.
  • edited April 2010
    That looks delicious, spicy as hell though. I'm not one of those crazy spice persons. I might get around to trying it sometime despite this.
  • edited April 2010
    Thank you, that is the less spicy option. I add at least 3 times as much death sauce in mine.
  • edited April 2010
    Personally I think that if it doesn't burn like unholy fire then it's not real chili, but that's just me.
  • edited April 2010
    Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it is TONS better SUPER spicy, I just generally don't like my food like that.
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah, it looked tasty until I saw what was in it. I appreciate it being served over rice to quench the fire, though.
  • edited April 2010
    Nah, it still looks damn tasty, it just also looks really spicy.
  • edited April 2010
    That chili looks AMAZING. Unfortunately I don't think anyone else in my apartment really likes spicy spicy foods like I do, so I don't think making it for a meal would be very practical. Maybe I'll cut down the recipe and have some for lunch for a week or so!

Andrew, are you a vegetarian?
  • edited May 2010
    So, I was sitting here eating some new Cake and Ice Cream flavor of bluebell.... and I got to thinkin.

How many of you have ever had Bluebell? I know it's only made in Texas, but DAMN it is delicious. I can bet money that Ryan knows it. Anyone else ever had any?
  • edited May 2010
    Is it an actual bell? If so... doesn't it hurt your teeth?
  • edited May 2010
    I remember that! Holy crap nostalgia, I used to eat that shit in every summer when Dallas was about 50 yards from the surface of the sun.
  • edited May 2010
    Nope. I've never seen it.
  • edited May 2010
    When we were eating some last night, my roommate from Texas and I were talking about how Bluebell is amazing and how it's a shame more people haven't tried it, and then we started remembering Bluebell jingles... it was hilarious. I was able to remember the tune and the last line of the jingle, and although we couldn't find an actual youtube video of the old commercial we found some random guy singing it. Oh memories.

If any of you ever visit Texas, I'm pretty sure you can get Bluebell anywhere. It's definitely worth trying, it's AMAZING
  • edited May 2010
    Not that that's enough justification to go to Texas, mind you, but if circumstances find you there, then you might as well.

You know, in Iowa we have a popular chain of ice cream too! There are stores for it all over the place, and it's incredibly delicious!

It's called, uh...

Whitey's.
  • edited May 2010
    I had mountain dew for the first time today!

Not bad, not bad.
  • edited May 2010
    The Mountain Dew, I'm not a fan of it.
  • edited May 2010
    I enjoy Mountain Dew well enough. But I'm trying to not drink soda anymore, so I can't indulge.
  • edited May 2010
    Oh man... I LOVE Mountain Dew. Perfect college soda, it has a TON of caffeine in it. My roommate and I have decided its a tie between Mountain Dew and Dr Pepper for our favorite sodas ever.

Makes a pretty good mixer too... I'm not a big fan of red bull :/
  • edited May 2010
    Didn't Ryan and Adam freak out when they found Mountain Dew in Japan? Or was that rootbeer?