some jc news

Comments

• jcjc
    edited October 2006
    If you make someone bored, you are boring them. Which makes you boring.
  • edited October 2006
    Am I right in understanding your assertion that boring is subjective?! What blasphemy is this! Everyone knows that anything outside of my realm of interest is BO-RING with a capital hyphen!

Sheesh!
  • edited October 2006
    Can't we all just agree that Nascar racing is the most boring and tedious thing ever invented by man?
  • edited October 2006
    But NASCAR fans are so interesting!
  • edited October 2006
    It's entirely possible they're interesting because of the other, far more engaging, things that they enjoy. Like explosions, or trains.
  • edited October 2006
    You may be right. I'm pretty sure you have to like explosions in order to be a NASCAR fan.
  • edited October 2006
    I may have to ask my potential brother-in-law if he likes explosions. He is definately a NASCAR fan.
  • edited October 2006
    I would like nascar if they really had drivers like the one Sacha Baron Cohen played in that Will Ferrell movie. Which, actually, I liked a lot, despite generally finding Nascar boring. (I don't like explosions much, though I do enjoy driving very fast.)
  • edited November 2006
    XoLore wrote: »
    I myself have missed my bedtime in the past while reading a discussion on the L2 cache in the latest intel processors vs competing AMD processors. It would have bored most people I know to tears, but I thought it was genuinely interesting.

I'd probably find that interesting as well.

I also have a suspicious feeling that I might know why a mechanical engineer would be brushing up on their biology, but need to ask. Does it involve MEMS devices, Stef?
  • edited November 2006
    Damn you're good. 100% correct, I work with MEMS now. Today I'm learning how to culture bacteria-- tomorrow I build an army of microscopic robots to take over the WORRRLLLD!
  • edited November 2006
    I bet my cultures can beat up your cultures!
  • edited November 2006
    Not likely. As it happens, my cultures are Caulobcater crescetus, which produce the strongest natural glue on record. Tough little punks.
  • edited November 2006
    So, you might say that the little guys have strength in numbers because they stick together?
  • edited November 2006
    "I'm rubber and you're glue, so whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you!"

*dies*
  • jcjc
    edited November 2006
    huh

Someone needs to explain some stuff to me. MEMS?
  • edited November 2006
    Micro-machines. It stands for Micro Mechanical Electrical Systems. Just like the real thing, only smaller.

EDIT: Also, I'm sorry for hijacking your thread. There are horrible puns here now.
  • edited November 2006
    JC!, I am here; I just downloaded your thesis (thanks!); it's been a busy few weeks in real life; and yes, let's talk, dude. I'll PM you my contact info if you don't have it.

And...wow, Rice University! I didn't realize you were there. Dan Sandler (also of DS guest strippery) is a CS PhD student there, too. I applied to Rice when I lived in Texas; apparently it's harder to get into than MIT. At least for Texas residents.

Go, JC!, go.
  • jcjc
    edited November 2006
    If he's a CS PhD student, then Mary must know him! The name does sound familiar...

I'll ask her tomorrow.

edit: so Stef, you're using organic gunk-life for tiny machines? ...How's that going?
  • edited November 2006
    Well, at this precise second-- not so hot. Our ceiling leaked, and then I submitted a sweater design for a book, and then a cat puked, and one of my lab machine's power supplies died, and then it was like 10:00 and I hadn't done any work today.
  • jcjc
    edited November 2006
    Maybe you can turn the ceiling leak and the cat puke to your advantage. If you need more microorganisms, that is.

Sweater design for a book? Please tell me (us) more!
  • edited November 2006
    Stef wrote: »
    -- tomorrow I build an army of microscopic robots to take over the WORRRLLLD!

No. We need to build microscopic NASCARs to race around tiny tracks. It'll be like playing with Hot-Wheels, except we might be able to get the government to pay for the research. :D
  • edited November 2006
    I swear, one day I will meet Stef, and I'll be all like "I like to think that I could possibly make video games."
    Then Stef will be all, "Cool. I have a PhD in SCIENCE! and I specialize in awesome."
    So I'll be like, "Awesome? You mean...like...a micro-machine?"
    And she'll be all like, "Well, more than like; I MAKE micro-machines. Lots of them."
    All I'd say is, "Oh, Ok then."

And she said she was boring.
  • edited November 2006
    Of all the adjectives one could use to describe Ms. Pulford...boring isn't one of them.
  • edited November 2006
    Thank you, gentlemen, but the truth of the matter is that I spend all day reading about any array imaginable. Engineering grad students are not nearly as rad as Jeff's NaNoWriMo novel makes them sound.

Re. the knitting pattern, I found out that it will be published in the upcoming Stitch and Bitch Men's Patterns book! Eee! I can't wait to go back to that girl I disliked in my college dorm and tell her that I AM TOTALLY THE ALPHA KNITTER!
  • edited November 2006
    Stef wrote: »
    Stitch and Bitch Men's Patterns book!

Good God, the knowledge that such a thing exists automaticlly made my life 10 times more awesome. I can't thank you enough Stef. Where might someone be able to purchase the afore-mentioned product?
  • edited November 2006
    ...Do you knit?

The book's not out in stores yet, and won't be until sometime next year. But SnB books have been getting a pretty decent release, so you'd be able to find it on Amazon, at Borders or Barnes & Noble, and likely at your local Michael's, Jo-Ann Fabrics, or Beverly's as well as specialty yarn stores. Plus, the previous books in the series have been really well-written and reasonably priced at around $17.00 (USD) so I have really high expectations for this book.
  • edited November 2006
    Nope, I don't knit. But I know someone who does so learning is always availible.
  • jcjc
    edited November 2006
    Mary's been teaching me to crochet. So far I know how to pull yarn apart and hurt my hand really bad.
  • jcjc
    edited August 2007
    BUMP FOR MAXIMUM THREAD EFFICIENCY

So remember way back in the beginning of the thread, when I relayed the rad news that I had started library school?

I just finished my last class yesterday. I'm a librarian now. And still a linguist, I guess. I haven't decided if I prefer 'libringuist' or 'linguarian' yet-- in any case, when I get my business cards printed up, they'll say "JC Fletcher, male librarian." I've got my blogging business cards already... which I think I'll post in Gamercraft.

I'm also not in school or planning to go to school for the first time ever. I'm just... done.

So yeah, jc news for the jc news thread!
  • edited August 2007
    Damn, awesome! Congratulations!