best knitted thing ever

Comments

• edited May 2006
    hey! we do lots of other things too!
  • edited May 2006
    It's true.

Somebody link that crazy comic that had the full-action librarians. That was awesome.
  • edited May 2006
    the jason shiga one?

http://www.shigabooks.com/

that's EXACTLY what librarians do. :)
  • edited May 2006
    That's the one.

Enforcing library rules with extreme prejudice!
  • edited May 2006
    i used a panel from that in a powerpoint presentation once.
  • edited May 2006
    I love that comic.
  • edited June 2006
    Knitted Robots! They know the terrible secret of space, and it's cuddly!
  • edited June 2006
    Eee! jesshutch.com! Leesh and I like her designs. Leesh even has her out-of-print booklet of patterns. I wish I had one.
  • edited June 2006
    One of those knitted robots is wearing a knitted jumper.

THE MIND BOGGLES.

WITH AWESOMENESS.
  • edited June 2006
    well sure! metal is cold!

thanks for posting that picture--it reminds me that i need to knit a robot already. (i currently am working on an afghan made out of fair trade handspun silk from indonesia, so a robot will be a nice change of pace.)
  • edited June 2006
    Maybe you could convert the afghan into a robot. With knitting SCIENCE!
  • edited June 2006
    Metal isn't any colder than any other material (unless you've just pulled it out of a freezer or something.) It only feels cold because it conducts heat very well, and will therefore draw heat away from you when you touch it much more quickly than non-metallic objects would.
  • edited June 2006
    SCIENCE!
  • edited June 2006
    Metal isn't any colder than any other material (unless you've just pulled it out of a freezer or something.) It only feels cold because it conducts heat very well, and will therefore draw heat away from you when you touch it much more quickly than non-metallic objects would.
    Really? I had the impression it was more because of the mass - meaning you have to expend lot of energy before you raise it to external body temp.
    Silver conducts very well, does seem warmer to me than steel...
  • edited June 2006
    two things:

a) in my earlier comment, i was trying--and obviously failing--to be funny. as someone who frequently accidentally burns herself, i am well aware of metal's conductive properties.

b) recently the creator of metafilter commented that he has a master's degree in SCIENCE! and i just thought you all should know that.
  • edited June 2006
    Leesh, what kiiiind of afghan? We need to start another knitting thread. I made Glampyre's One Skein Wonder last week, and now I'm on a tiny sweater kick.
  • edited June 2006
    Why are you making tiny sweaters?
  • edited June 2006
    Gnome infestation.
  • edited June 2006
    Do they live in Gnome-Mounds?
  • edited June 2006
    Nope, most gnomes never live in one place for too long, they're gnome-adic.

I'm so sorry, Stef.
  • edited June 2006
    Very clever ^^.
  • edited June 2006
    See, you're not sorry, and that's what the problem is.

Tiny sweaters are sort-of a fashion disease. They're undersized scraps of sweater made to be worn over some other thing.

Witness: oneskeinwonder_sm.jpg

I made that in red.
  • edited June 2006
    Maybe the appeal is that the sweater doesn't conceal certain... things.
  • edited June 2006
    Hammy, my motivation for making sweaters is generally that I want to make them and then wear them, rather than that I want to stare at my own chest afterwards.
  • edited June 2006
    Well, I wasn't implying anything about you Stef, but with some ladies nowadays, you can never quite know.
  • edited June 2006
    Hahaha. We should tell these ladies that you can in fact stare at your own chest without the aid of a special sweater.
  • edited June 2006
    Maybe these ladies would like to share the gift of their breasts with the rest of the world, while at the same time staying fashionably warm?
  • edited July 2006
    Audric wrote:
    Really? I had the impression it was more because of the mass - meaning you have to expend lot of energy before you raise it to external body temp.
    Silver conducts very well, does seem warmer to me than steel...
    Both mass and conductivity are factors, since a small object would, of course, warm from room temperature to body temperature faster than a larger object. If the mass of the two objects is equal, though, the one with the higher conductivity will feel colder (unless both objects are warmed to above body temperature, in which case the one with higher conductivity will feel warmer.)

Have you ever actually touched a piece of pure silver as large as the pieces of pure or nearly pure iron you typically come into contact with?

Fun fact: It's this effect in reverse that allows people to walk on hot coals without being burned. Since the coals are made of a material with very low thermal conductivity, only the heat from the surface of the coal will be transferred into the person's foot in the time that they're standing on it. The surface of the coal is cooled by the foot more quickly than the heat from the inside of the coal can make its way outwards, so very little heat is actually transferred into the foot.
  • edited July 2006
    dude, this is not the SCIENCE! thread! take it outside!
  • jcjc
    edited July 2006
    TheMachine wrote:
    Maybe these ladies would like to share the gift of their breasts with the rest of the world, while at the same time staying fashionably warm?

Does "fashionably warm" mean "not at all warm"?