Food!

Comments

• edited March 2008
    Chinese foodplosion! We made dumplings, a spicy chicken/potato dish, and some egg pancake thingies, similar to what I have for breakfast.

Pictures are here: http://riphisel.spaces.live.com

Hint: I'm the white guy.
  • edited March 2008
    Why does that poor, little Chinese girl look so afraid of you in picture 35?
  • edited March 2008
    Whole bag of peanuts fTW!
  • edited March 2008
    I had to cook steak today. It was rough around the edges, but the middle was almost like Ecstasy.
  • edited March 2008
    Steak yesterday would have been better.
  • edited March 2008
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Why does that poor, little Chinese girl look so afraid of you in picture 35?

Oh, you should know the answer to that. You saw that same look in every Asian woman you came near for a whole year.
  • edited March 2008
    Wow, I thought they didn't have the wii in china due to the rampant piracy...
  • edited March 2008
    I had Steak and Kidney pie today.

Good Lord, it is truly the food of kings!
  • edited March 2008
    I had some nice chicken, potatoes, and veggies for dinner last night. Simple, but good.
  • edited May 2008
    Necrothreading!

I recently found a bottle of Tabasco sauce in an export food market. So today for lunch, I decided I was going to make some eggs and rice, and cover all that shit in Tabasco.

The first egg's yolk wasn't very firm, it was a little runny. But I figured whatever, I grabbed another bowl and decided to start again. Second egg went fine.

Third egg exploded in a viscous black, rancid ooze.

I didn't want to cook anymore. So, I just ate the bowl of rice I had already prepared for the eggs, and some peanut butter toast. East meets West.
  • edited May 2008
    Gross. Bad Chinese eggs?
  • edited May 2008
    I guess.

I don't know what the deal is here. Eggs are never refrigerated in China. Never. When I go to the store, they're just in big stacks on shelves, or in center isle displays. They're never in the dairy section either. So I always buy warm eggs. It kinda creeps me out, but I love eggs. Most of the time, it's not a problem though.

Actually, as long as I'm thinking about it, butchers at supermarkets and smaller food markets all have their raw meat hanging out for anyone to grab. So when people buy raw meat, customers get their hands all over it when they pick out what slabs they want.
  • edited May 2008
    sounds perfectly hygienic.
  • edited May 2008
    Does it count to put that I had sambuca and coke last night?

And a pre-emptive "Fuck you" to Jake.
  • edited May 2008
    I'm making steak and ravioli's tonight with homemade sauce! I am excited.
  • edited June 2008
    I'm eating some smoked gouda and crackers! TASTY.
  • edited July 2008
    I found the best restaurant ever.

It's a $20 all you can eat Teppanyaki (also known as Hibachi) grill.

All the sushi you can eat.
    All the sashimi you can eat.
    All the oysters, clams, fish, steak, beef, and pork you can eat.
    All the beer you can drink.
    All the sake you can drink.
    $20.
  • edited July 2008
    I jealous.
  • edited July 2008
    That place sounds great!!
  • edited July 2008
    Yes it does. Also I'm eating jello.
  • edited July 2008
    MMMMM

There are lots of milk tea shops all around the city; they are quite popular. I usually frequent the one nearest my house, and this one high school kid who works there all the time keeps recommending all of these good drinks to me.

And I've found a favorite: it's a beer/tea hybrid. It's half beer, and the rest is a mixture of various teas and sweeteners, and it's filled with ice. It is iced sweet beer. It is amazing. And it is about 75 cents.
  • edited July 2008
    That sounds really weird! Beer and tea?? If you say so!

In the past few days I've been introduced to the wonders of college food... which isn't actually that bad, in the food court here. I have yet to try to dining hall for the dorms I'm staying in... I'm kind of afraid to....
  • edited July 2008
    My uni's halls has a canteen, but I have a feeling that I do not wanna spend a year of my life eating that pre-made mass microwaved crap that canteens always prepare. I'd rather just eat subway every day. Mmm...Subway...
  • edited July 2008
    I just had a damn good roast beef sandwich.
  • edited July 2008
    My new background to my cell phone is a plate of bacon I made an ate for brunch yesterday.
  • edited July 2008
    Your meal was bacon and nothing else? Seriously? You're a madman.

... You could get lead poisoning from all that bacon.
  • edited July 2008
    NoLonger wrote: »
    Your meal was bacon and nothing else? Seriously? You're a madman.

... You could get lead poisoning from all that bacon.

My bloodstream is nothing by bacon grease.
  • edited July 2008
    tried chocolate-covered bacon yet?
  • edited July 2008
    BevinDeezl wrote: »
    tried chocolate-covered bacon yet?

I don't own any chocolate that I can melt down and slather on some bacon. Otherwise, I totally would.
  • edited July 2008
    I don't own any chocolate that I can melt down and slather on some bacon. Otherwise, I totally would.

It's not too terrible. Not great, but not terrible either. I'm sure that Mario can attest to this...