The Not Vista Thread

edited February 2007 in Tech
I'm installing Linux again, yay!

The latest release of ubuntu is version 6.10, or feisty fawn as they've named it, going along with the weird animal names for all the releases thus far. Tomorrow I will pop the CD in and see if I can do this dual-booting thing again. Thankfully I actually have an older ubuntu distro installed on a separate ext3 partition, so I'm not going to have to repartition my drive this time.

Yay! Updates as I progress, maybe I'll stick with it this time.

Comments

• jcjc
    edited February 2007
    I'm not installing any new operating systems, because my computer works RIGHT NOW!

Not Vista FTW!
  • edited February 2007
    !!!!!!!!! wrote: »
    I'm not installing any new operating systems, because my computer works RIGHT NOW!

Here here! Not Vista, Linux, Unix, Mac OS X, OS 2 Warp, or any other operating system than Windows XP FTW!!
  • edited February 2007
    I'm all for Not Vista. Why, I'm using Not Vista right now.
  • edited February 2007
    That's amazing, I too am using Not Vista.
  • edited February 2007
    Hamelin wrote: »
    I'm installing Linux again, yay!

The latest release of ubuntu is version 6.10, or feisty fawn as they've named it, going along with the weird animal names for all the releases thus far. Tomorrow I will pop the CD in and see if I can do this dual-booting thing again. Thankfully I actually have an older ubuntu distro installed on a separate ext3 partition, so I'm not going to have to repartition my drive this time.

Yay! Updates as I progress, maybe I'll stick with it this time.

Actually, 6.10 is Edgy Eft, the upcoming 7.04 is Feisty Fawn.

Just getting it in there before D.I. :P
  • edited February 2007
    Ok, it is edgy, my bad.
  • edited February 2007
    Man, I was using Not Vista years before it was cool.
  • edited February 2007
    I'm using Windows Not Vista as well, mainly because Not Vista is probably better than Vista.
  • edited February 2007
    Seriously, why didn't they just rerelease 2000 server sp4...
  • edited February 2007
    Not Vista runs beautifully on my computer. No nagging UAC on me!
  • edited February 2007
    I used Vista in a shop today. It wasn't so bad, but it gave me such Deja Vu, and aside from the new UI, it's pretty much the same as XP...
  • edited February 2007
    mario wrote: »
    Not Vista runs beautifully on my computer. No nagging UAC on me!

Yeah, it didn't take long for Apple to shine the negative light of exaggeration on Vista. The commericials used to be funny and somewhat informative, but now they've crossed the line and it's just annoying to watch them.
  • edited February 2007
    I dunno, I thought this one was one of the funniest of all. More fine work from John Hodgman, and unlike some of them, it's true! (one of the untrue ones I'm thinking of suggested that PCs don't come with built-in cameras, even though some do. I suppose he's "A PC", not "Every PC", but that's not much of an excuse) Windows Vista does indeed nag you to allow or disallow just about every time a program is installed, or connects to the Internet, or wants to do a backflip. The worst part, though (and something the commercial didn't touch on), is that if you're logged in as the admin, it won't ask for a password, only a allow/disallow. So the final line of defense boils down to an annoyed user that's become desensitized to constant nags, and likely just Allows every time the message comes up.

Security. Yeah.
  • edited February 2007
    I don't believe that they're telling the truth for a second. All firewalls act the same way: until they learn and can make the decision themselves. But hey, let's make a commericial after running the operating system for 20 minutes.
  • edited February 2007
    Uh, no, it's not a firewall, nor is it a learning system. It's a nagging system (granted, this article is from a beta of Windows Vista, so if the schema has changed drastically since then, someone please come correct me).
  • edited February 2007
    They have no reason to build a "nagging" system. And wow, an article from over 6 months before the actual release of the operating system? Now I believe it.
  • edited February 2007
    Like I said, show me something that says the UAC works any differently than that article states, and I'll go with that instead. I'd assumed it was commonly accepted that this was how the UAC does its thing, long before that commercial came out yesterday.
  • edited February 2007
    Common sense says that the UAC works differently. You're talking about a beta version of the software. But let me do some nosing around anyway, and I can find proof that Apple is lying in their commercial.

EDIT: reminder to myself to look later, my neck is throbbing right now and I'm gonna go lay down
  • edited February 2007
    I love people who take things too seriously. ^_^
  • edited February 2007
    I'm typing from my Not Vista!
  • edited February 2007
    I'm adding MJC to my AIM buddy list using Not Vista. We should all do this. MJC needs more hugs.

*hugs MJC*
  • edited February 2007
    Hey yeah! We ought to all be united under a common "Not Vista" banner! Three cheers for using Not Vista!

Hip! Hip!
  • edited February 2007
    Hooray!
  • edited February 2007
    Hip! Hip!
  • edited February 2007
    Hooray!
  • edited February 2007
    Hip! Hip!
  • edited February 2007
    My grand slam was supposed to come with sausage...
  • jcjc
    edited February 2007
    Hey guys i just figured something out

Computers are not dudes they are machines

the commercials are full of lies
  • edited February 2007
    mario wrote: »
    Hip! Hip!

Hooray! Man you two are slow at this.
  • edited February 2007
    I'm going to not reply to this thread, just to spite all of you!

My plan is flawless!