The Not Vista Thread

13»

Comments

• edited February 2007
    mario wrote: »
    I've never seen MS Paint art sold commercially. While good artists can create good art in Paint, they can create great art with less effort in more capable programs.

How does commercial sale relate to skill? Not all skilled artists are out to sell their work.
  • edited February 2007
    Just FYI: After several long months of being stuck with Windows, I've finally put Linux back on to my laptop. I'd initially re-installed Windows because I had to send the machine back to the factory to have its screen replaced (fortunately it was still under warranty) and wasn't able to remove it due to my not having a means of backing up my data. Fortunately, my new desktop computer is now up and running to the point where I can unload my files onto it's HD (and maybe burn them to DVD afterwards) and get Ubuntu installed on my laptop again. I am happy today.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have 135 updates that I need to install. Of course, unlike all you suckers, I can do it all without a single reboot!

(Well, I might need to reboot if one of those updates is a new version of the kernel, but even then I'll only have to do it once.)
  • edited February 2007
    Speaking of Not Vista, there's a question that's been bugging me for a while: Whenever I send a zip file to or from the college computers, and sometimes when I'm downloading stuff off the internet, they always wind up with an empty folder inside that says "MacOSX". What's that for? It's empty, it can't be doing much.
  • edited February 2007
    Different operating systems create different invisible files they use for organizational purposes. I think this file in particular is created on the top level of FAT32-formatted volumes (a PC format that Macs can write to, unlike NTFS). OS 9 used to create all kinds of crazy invisible files, so just this one is something of an improvement.

And clearly you aren't using Tiger; it creates an invisible file called ".Spotlight" (indexing information on the folder) and ".DS_Store" (uh, I forget) in every folder.
  • edited February 2007
    this is my obligatory yay-yay-yay-go-mac-post. that's all i'm gonna say. i don't get involved in these discussions after having them for a living for two years.