The Not Vista Thread

Comments

• edited February 2007
    I thought you were going to regale us with tales about how great SUGAR runs on your XO-1.
  • edited February 2007
    Alas, I don't live in a third-world country...
  • edited February 2007
    Illithid, that Family Guy quote was timed perfectly.
  • edited February 2007
    Yeah, I thought that was impressive.
  • edited February 2007
    Hi, I'm a Mac!

And I'm a PC!

We both have our strong points, so, it's really just a matter of what you hope to accomplish when you use one of us!

Seriously, why are we always fighting?

I don't know PC, perhaps some advertising bigwigs want more money, so they make you seem inferior to me in hopes of getting people to buy more of me, and I just think that's kinda mean.

Yeah, I'm gonna go play games Mac.

Cool, I'm gonna go make some kickin' art.

That would be the best commercial ever.
  • edited February 2007
    I completely agree.
  • edited February 2007
    Not to start a debate, but why does everyone say Macs do art better?

I've been curious about that for awhile now.
  • jcjc
    edited February 2007
    I don't know.. a lot of art-type programs were designed for Mac first, I guess, and then ported.
  • edited February 2007
    Alas, I don't live in a third-world country...

I live in a third-world country! It's nice!
  • edited February 2007
    Found it:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6165439/p-5.html
    Windows Vista's User Account Control protects users by changing the level of access users have on the system. Many Windows XP users operate in administrator mode for convenience in hardware and software installations, but all that access means malware can do a lot more damage if it manages to get into the system. UAC in Windows Vista will prompt the user before performing any major system-level actions, such as software installations or when you try to access such restricted features as parental controls.

The good news is that you can still proceed with these actions from a standard user account by entering in the administrator password. The bad news is that UAC seems to be as hypersensitive as the Boston public safety officials. Expect to get hit by UAC prompts frequently as you set up your Vista system. UAC has the potential to be very annoying, but like the bumper sticker says, "freedom isn't free." We'll let you know when the UAC oversteps its bounds with illegal wiretaps.

See? It'll happen a lot while you get Vista running and installing all your software because it does prompt you to install software. Now hmm, let's think of all the different things you install at the start. Of course you're going to get slammed with them. But the commercial exaggerates: you're not going to get one every time you try to do anything on Vista. It's not like "Open the start menu; cancel or allow. Open the Programs Folder; cancel or allow." Once you get Vista running, you'll only get those pop-ups once in a while when you go to install something new, like a new video game or a program upgrade. But of course they're going to be more frequent when you're first setting up. Like I said earlier, they should have tried using the OS for more than 20 minutes before passing judgement.

Also, after reading that entire article, I wish to leave the "Not Vista" club. Vista looks totally awesome.
  • edited February 2007
    Enjoy your more-excessively-glittery-than-even-Ubuntu GUI.
  • edited February 2007
    Yeah right. Like I can afford to right now. I can dream, though.
  • jcjc
    edited February 2007
    Join the "wait until it comes preloaded on your next computer" club then. Don't tempt fate and waste money!
  • edited February 2007
    Everything is installed and working, yay.

Currently, my biggest quandary is that my wireless usb keyboard doesn't work during the boot-up sequence, so I can't choose what OS I want to boot into in the GRUB menu, so it defaults to ubuntu. Not a huge deal though.
  • edited February 2007
    hlavco wrote: »
    Not to start a debate, but why does everyone say Macs do art better?

I've been curious about that for awhile now.

Because of these guys.
  • edited February 2007
    Er, no.
  • edited February 2007
    Because of these guys.

... No? It's because Macs have "superior" and "easier to use" graphics editing software than PCs, but that's all just rubbish. It's a matter of the artist's own skill, not what software they're running.
  • edited February 2007
    And also the software they're running.
  • edited February 2007
    mjc0961 wrote: »
    ... No? It's because Macs have "superior" and "easier to use" graphics editing software than PCs, but that's all just rubbish. It's a matter of the artist's own skill, not what software they're running.

I refer you to this :P
  • edited February 2007
    mario wrote: »

I don't care if you have the best software in the world. If you have no skill, your art is still going to suck. In fact, I dare say that some of the most impressive computer generated art I've seen was done in MS Paint.
  • edited February 2007
    That's because people take paint's flaws as a challenge and push it to its limits.
  • edited February 2007
    MS Paint has no flaws. It just lacks features, meaning you have to put more effort in.
  • edited February 2007
    mario wrote: »
    Yeah, but what I want to know is what software the Macs have that make them so much more artistic than PCs.
  • edited February 2007
    mjc0961 wrote: »
    I don't care if you have the best software in the world. If you have no skill, your art is still going to suck. In fact, I dare say that some of the most impressive computer generated art I've seen was done in MS Paint.

I've never seen MS Paint art sold commercially. While good artists can create good art in Paint, they can create great art with less effort in more capable programs.
  • edited February 2007
    More capable programs that can be had regardless of your platform. Art people like Macs, but really they could install Linux for all the difference it makes. In some cases they'd be better off with Windows anyhow, but perhaps they just like macs because "they look purty!" Really it makes the not-Mac people they have to work with get all furious because they are far more comfortable with windows and maybe they are like me and think that having to work with OSX is like pulling teeth.

Long story short, Macs used to be the platform of choice for art stuffs. They really offer no advantage whatsoever these days, but that reputation has not gone away. I don't know why.
  • edited February 2007
    Photoshop and Premiere 6.0 work just fine on my computer at home, but I have nothing but problems with premiere and photoshop 7.0 on the macs at school. Though I have a feeling that has to do with the way the computers are set up, rather than with the fact that they're macs.

Still, I loves my PC.
  • edited February 2007
    Eh, computers are just tools. Nothing stops a good artist from rockin' on whatever platform they choose.

I will say I do enjoy OSX very much. (OpenSUSE is nice, too)
  • edited February 2007
    Enjoy your more-excessively-glittery-than-even-Ubuntu GUI.
    Ubuntu's GUI isn't glittery. Ubuntu's GUI is brown.
  • edited February 2007
    Mine's blue at the moment.

I only just got the fonts in firefox to look good to my eyes. Go me!
  • edited February 2007
    With computer art, oekaki is the way to go, man.

No, I'm not an undercover salesman.