There is no such thing as planning too early!!

Comments

• edited January 2009
    If I'm hosting, I'm good for any ol' time, as long as I have enough advance notice to set aside vacation time to accommodate everybody (let's say a month early). Any time in August will be rock n' roll.

If it's not in California, well, I can still request vacation time, so just let me know what everyone's cool with. Gonna look into whether there's any particular weekend I can't be away, but I think as long as I put in the vacation request early enough, I can have my pick.
  • edited January 2009
    i'll be there most likely between the 10th and 24th of August. I got school starting in September and can't be jet-lagged on the first day...
  • edited January 2009
    I'm probably good any time in August since school will still be out. I can just make sure that I get my syllabus made for the fall semester early.
  • edited January 2009
    I'm free from May, when my exams end, until late September, so any time in August will be fine :)
  • edited January 2009
    If I can pt in for my vacation by March 1st, I'm pretty much guaranteed the days I ask. If I have at least a month's notice, i could probably still swing it. So, anytime's good for me, just let me know in advance.
  • edited February 2009
    From what I'm reading so far, it looks like a span of a few days in the middle of August will be the best way to go. I'd like to accommodate as many forumites as possible, but unfortunately we don't have any period with 100% overlap. 8/23 is the closest I can see for such a magic date. So how about we span the event around that date, say, 8/21-8/24? That way we could have people come by at their own pace and get at least some cross-vacationing. It also falls on a weekend which will hopefully make it easier for everyone to come by. Is this an acceptable target date range? Let me know if we should widen the range at all to help those who would have to come a little sooner or later. Like I've said before, I just need to know with plenty of advance (let's say one month early at the very latest) so I can request vacation time. And of course, people traveling from out of the country might need more lead time.

Mish, would this weekend be doable for you? It's still a few days before you start school.
  • edited February 2009
    Eh.. I think it would still just end up being a road trip to California, so no, I don't think I'd be able to. It's a very long drive that I would be making by myself, and a lot of money that I could be saving up for the next semester. I was silly for even suggesting I could go, it was all just wishful thinking. I'm also moving into an apartment instead of dorms next semester so I'll probably need to be there a little earlier than when school starts so that I can set things up, make sure everything's working before school starts :)

I have family in Chicago that I could stay with if that would work better... Andrew's in Chicago right? I could also probably convince Eric to come with me to meet some of my relatives, lol. BUT that's contrary to everything that's been planned so far, so sticking with California would probably be the best to stick with.
  • edited February 2009
    *shrug* I'm not married to the idea of meeting in California. Though I'd certainly like the prospect of spending less money, I also like going to different places every now and then. Anyone else want to suggest alternate locations? Chicago sounds pretty exotic to me. I could even go attend a live broadcast of "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me"! This is something I can definitely get behind.
  • edited February 2009
    Well if California doesn't work I'm sure Chicago would be fun as well.

My dad lives in the far south suburbs, so we could possibly crash at his place for a night or so...

BUT

I'm not sure if I said this (I think I did), but I don't live in Chicago, I actually live in Kalamazoo, Michigan... it's about 2.5 hours from Chicago.

Of course, we can always take the train from Chicago to Michigan, it's a very nice relaxing trip, and we can cram as many people into our apartment as necessary for as long as people want to stay.

So, there's a lot of options... we could meet in the Chicago area and spend the day in the city, then crash at my dad's or go back to Michigan and see the sights (Kalamazoo has some great bars and restaurants). Or we could do a combination of the two. I think that we should only spend a maximum of two nights at my dad's house, since I don't live there anymore, but he's quite friendly and wouldn't mind us using his residence as a crash pad temporarily (I think).

So there's a lot of options, if Chicago starts to become a serious possibility we can do some more planning.
  • edited February 2009
    Am I still gonna come by via Dinosaur while you guys are sleeping?
  • edited February 2009
    Hopefully!
  • edited February 2009
    I'll have to talk to my parents to figure things out, but I like this idea a tad bit better so far! I won't have to pay quite so much money, and I would have multiple reasons for going up there. The drive is still pretty long, but I've been the passenger of the trip enough times that I know it can be done in one day, haha.
  • edited February 2009
    I lean a little more towards Chicago/midwest myself. Going to California that early may be a little more difficult, but I think I can pull it off.

The absolute earliest I can arrive is Aug. 22, sometime in the late afternoon/early evening. I could be tired as hell, or I could be ready to par-tay. Hard to say. Though I'd like it for us to stay together at least through the 24th, maybe longer.

If we do California, then I need to arrange transportation back to the midwest. If Andrew's got room, maybe I can bum a ride in his car, but if not I'll have to buy a separate plane ticket. I think I can make it work, but I just need to know.
  • edited February 2009
    Also, promise me we'll do this again when I'm in my 20s or 30s. I need to slap a few of you in person.
  • edited February 2009
    Well, you can hurry this up if you need to. Gravity affects the flow of time, and the stronger you feel gravity the slower time progresses. Thus, the farther you are from something wtih a strong gravitational pull, the faster time will go.

So, get yourself a spaceship, and go float around aimlessly in space for a while. Come back when you're 18 by your progression of time.

Edit: Wait. I broke my brain. I think I have it backwards.

Double edit: No, I think I'm fine. Get your ass into space.
  • edited February 2009
    mario wrote: »
    *shrug* I'm not married to the idea of meeting in California.

Not with our backwards closed-minded marriage laws you're not! But one day we will not be limited to marrying people, we will all be able to marry whatever abstract thought we want, I'm telling you! Or at least a civil union!
  • edited February 2009
    Gravity is made of bones.

Erm, sorry. Non-sequitur machine doesn't seem to have an off switch.

And I still haven't met you guys, yet. I should change that.
  • edited February 2009
    Is your kid in college yet? You've been gone SO LONG.
  • edited February 2009
    The older one (Lily) is three and a half, the younger one (Violet) is 18 months.
  • edited February 2009
    awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww =D
  • edited February 2009
    You had another kid? Whoa, you have been gone a long time.
  • edited February 2009
    Dude, the second one was about 6 months old when I was here last. Not that I expect you to remember all the details of my life, but sheesh. :P
  • edited February 2009
    I vaguely remember you having a picture of your kid, and it looked like he (she?) was trying to strangle you.
  • edited February 2009
    *laughs* I wouldn't be surprised. I have links in my signature. If you're curious, the path will lead you to what you seek.

Otherwise, just know I have two adorable, sweet girls.
  • edited February 2009
    Hello all! So I was wondering about this whole meeting up in Chicago thing, and so far it's looking a lot better for me. I'll have to say something to my parents this weekend (they might want to come with me), but as of right now even Eric thinks he'd enjoy meeting up in Chicago, since I have some family members there he's never met. Is anyone else likin the Chicago meetup?
  • edited February 2009
    I prefer Chicago personally, it would be easier on me. But either is fine.
  • edited February 2009
    Wait, meeting up in Chicago?? Well, if it works with my school schedule, then hell yeah! :)
  • edited March 2009
    SO! We're movin this thing to Chicago then? All in favor say aye!

Aye!
  • edited March 2009
    Aye!
  • edited March 2009
    Aye!