Food!

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Made one of my favorite on-the-cheap meals, the potato scramble! Take whatever potato-type stuff you have on hand (tater tots in this case; hash browns are easiest, and diced potatoes are optimal) and scramble it in with eggs on the frying pan. Threw in some shredded turkey meat, added copious amounts of pepper (I love pepper so much I keep a little pepper grinder on hand), made some buttered toast on the side.

Breakfast for dinner is sometimes the best thing in the world. And by sometimes, I mean always.
  • edited January 2009
    That sounds like a Belgian thing where you take left over mashed potatoes and fry it and serve with cold meats.
  • edited January 2009
    I now have three bottles of tabasco sauce in my apartment, and a bottle of Frank's Red Hot Wing sauce.

It makes me happy. Sometimes when I'm too lazy to cook, I just make a big batch of rice and cover it in wing sauce. It tastes delicious.

Oh! And my mom sent me Old El Paso taco kits for Christmas! My Christmas presents finally arrived. I will be making tacos sometime in the near future! Pics to come when it happens!
  • edited January 2009
    zmuffins.jpg

Zucchini Parmesan Muffins. Mmm.

I must make note of Potato Scramble! It sounds tastyfun.
  • edited January 2009
    Had some leftover hamburgers from a few nights ago (when making my own burger patties, I usually make a few extra and freeze the uncooked patties for later cookin' and enjoyin'). As usual, tater tots rounded out the unbalanced meal. Delicious!
  • edited January 2009
    That's real food, there. None of this "natural" crap :)

That's one sexy Wiimote jacket, I see there.
  • edited January 2009
    Is that soda called 'Ditto'?
  • edited January 2009
    Oh my god I miss tater tots :(
  • edited January 2009
    I was never a big fan of tater tots. They're okay if you have something to dip them in, otherwise they're really only good for stacking and rolling around on your plate until your brother who loves them takes them off your hands.
  • edited January 2009
    I disagree :) I loves me some tater tots.
  • edited January 2009
    Yes, the soda is Ditto, the Safeway-brand Sprite-alike. Pretty tasty, though I really like the Go2 cola they sell.
  • edited January 2009
    I was never a huge fan of tater tots cooked at home. I loved them at school, when they were deep fried.
  • edited January 2009
    Tots are pretty gnar.
  • edited January 2009
    He he, I propose the OB brake into pro- and anti-tot factions, you know for fun.

I'm quite pro-tot.
  • edited January 2009
    Pro-tot all the way, but way more pro-peanut-butter-pizza.
  • edited January 2009
    I joined the local Tots 4 Life!

I found out it was an organization for kids opposed to legal abortion and promptly left.
  • edited January 2009
    heh, reminds me of a flier I got in the mail once from my old Catholic church youth program. They had a calender of events they participated in throughout the year, and one of them included going to an abortion clinic and protesting outside.

I was thoroughly disgusted that they were advertising this like it was a great childhood experience, and was reminded why I haven't even visited that church even for holidays for many years.
  • edited January 2009
    I made homemade hashbrowns!

DSC05319.jpg

I took some potatoes and shredded them, then washed them thoroughly. After that I dried them off a bit, and I added some diced onion and seasoned salt.

Unfortunately, I was not able to get a nice, evenly cooked side to the hash browns, because my crappy wok latches onto any food that touches it. My beautifully browned bottom to my hash browns stayed in the wok. But they tasted delicious all the same.

The eggs were just scrambled, with generous additions of onion and green pepper, some garlic salt, and of course tabasco sauce.
  • edited January 2009
    Serephel wrote: »
    I made homemade hashbrowns!

DSC05319.jpg

I took some potatoes and shredded them, then washed them thoroughly. After that I dried them off a bit, and I added some diced onion and seasoned salt.

Unfortunately, I was not able to get a nice, evenly cooked side to the hash browns, because my crappy wok latches onto any food that touches it. My beautifully browned bottom to my hash browns stayed in the wok. But they tasted delicious all the same.

The eggs were just scrambled, with generous additions of onion and green pepper, some garlic salt, and of course tabasco sauce.

Looking at the cheese, not so melted.

But really, looks good man.
  • edited January 2009
    Yeah, I forgot about the cheese until after I made everything else. I can't buy shredded cheese in China, so I have to take a block and prep it myself. By the time I found a block, found a scissors, opened the package, cleaned the shredder from the hash browns, shredded some cheese, and put it on the eggs, they had cooled down to the point where it wouldn't melt the cheese :(
  • edited January 2009
    Pro-tot!
  • edited January 2009
    I have been cooking this week! This week is Chinese New Years, and so all offices and businesses are closed, meaning that I have had to fend for myself this week. Here are some of the things I've made:

DSC05324.jpg

This dish is just some miscellaneous green veggies cooked in oil, and then sprinkled with seasoned salt. Very tasty. The wings were lightly seasoned with steak seasonings, which I then doused in wing sauce. It was delicious.

DSC05326.jpg

Fried dumplings! I had some frozen dumplings, so I boiled them, then cooked them in oil afterwards. I then drowned thousands of years of unique Chinese culture in a downpour of good old American Tabasco sauce.

DSC05328.jpg

I was out of rice, so I went with noodles instead. I took some ramen noodles and boiled them in a pot. Then I took some miscellaneous veggies and peppers and stir fried them. Then I added it all together, added some soy sauce, and then consumed. And I added Tabasco, of course.

DSC05330.jpg

I've wanted to make this for a while. Eggie in a blanket, or something like that. I forget exactly, but it's when you cut a hole in the middle of a piece of bread, and then fry an egg in it. I made two of those, sprinkled on some garlic salt for extra flavor, and then generously covered in cheddar cheese. And of course, Tabasco.

I've been productive!
  • edited January 2009
    All that Tabasco can't be good for you.
  • edited January 2009
    YOU KNOW NOTHING
  • edited January 2009
  • edited January 2009
    DSC05326.jpg
    Jiaozi.... drool....
  • edited January 2009
    Eggy in the basket. Philistine.

The cheese is a nice touch, however. Bravo!

I made a bacon omelette.

photobu0.jpg
  • edited January 2009
    Tabasco is fine. Excessive use just weakens your taste buds. You'll notice it when you reach old age. I'm not sure if it's an upside or a downside, but to taste anything, you'll have to put tabasco on it. Which basically means you'll have to carry Tabasco everywhere. If I did that, I'd be terribly tempted to put it on people's food when they aren't looking.
  • edited January 2009
    Nah, he'll be fine eating spicy foods. Taste buds do die off in old age, but even if spicy foods weaken or damage the taste receptors, those are replaced every week or two naturally. I don't think eating spicy foods will ever permanently damage his taste buds; everyone's taste buds die as we get older, and it's the receptors that actually send the signal to your brain to give you any idea of actual "taste," not the taste buds.

Or at least I think so. :tmyk:

Edit: I dunno, I just looked it up and found different things, so maybe I'm completely off. In any case, Tobasco tastes good, and spicy food is awesome.
  • edited January 2009
    You're basically right Lauren. Taste receptors naturally die off and are replaced throughout our entire lives. But when we get older the time between they die and when they're replaced gets longer, so the elderly have less functioning receptors in our mouth than younger people. That said, I have no idea what side effects excessive use of Tobasco has, if any.

:tmyk: