Food!

Comments

• edited September 2009
    I'll eat anything as long as it doesn't look to vegetably.
  • edited September 2009
    Vegetables are for awesome people! Be awesome or die a non-vegetable matter covered bed, a bed animals bladders. Join and die comfortable on a bed of crisp lettuce!
  • edited September 2009
    My mom I guess was force fed vegetables when she was little, and the result was that I rarely ever had vegetables with meals growing up. I LOVE vegetables, and my mom used to make chicken pot pie JUST for me. The reason she didn't like chicken pot pie was it had too many vegetables in it, haha. I always loved it whenever my mom made any vegetables, but it was really rare to eat anything vegetable-y other than a salad.
  • edited September 2009
    Vegetables are quite good, and I like a lot of vegetables in my meal, but they also have to be balanced out with some meat. Vegan meals make me a sad omnivore.
  • edited September 2009
    We eat vegan meals sometimes, because we're too lazy to make it meaty-eggy-milky, and it's nice :) vegetables forever! avocado!
  • edited September 2009
    If I go to a grocery store and get some canned green beans, bring them home, microwave them, I can eat and enjoy them as long as they are warm. Not so good cold. Yet I've been at a wedding where I was given a plate of fancier food that included what looked to be fresher green beans with some seasoning on them. I took one bite and came precariously close to having a plate full of vomit. Food adventures tend to go badly for me.

I'm hardly much of a carnivore, but I'd make a terrible vegan.
  • edited September 2009
    Fried rice from the pushcart vendors!

28092009062.jpg
  • edited September 2009
    That looks a bit like maggots. I WANT SOME.
  • edited September 2009
    I was also kind of freaked out by the size of the grains of rice. I'm sure it tastes delicious though!!
  • edited October 2009
    I just ate Top Romain, and topped that off by drinking Kopi Luwak coffee.
  • edited October 2009
    So, pretty much, the State Fair of Texas is the worst (or best?) possible place imaginable to eat anything. It wasn't always like it is now, but in the past few years, holy balls, they've really tried to outdo themselves with how much stuff they can fry. I remember mentioning here before about how I've tried some pretty repulsive foods the Texas State Fair has offered to me, and some of them I have actually really enjoyed. This year I was wondering what fried food they were showcasing, and I think this one trumps all the rest.....

Fried butter.

Yes, really. Article here.

I went to the fair this weekend, and while I gotta say, I was TEMPTED to try it (since it's the fair and the fair is full of awesomely disgusting food), but I couldn't make myself spend money on something so... gross. I've tried fried Snickers, I've tried fried Peanut Butter Jelly and Banana Sandwich, I've tried fried Coke... but I just can't do it.

Btw, if you click on the article, I wanted to try those fried peanut butter cup macaroons, but I didn't find any :( The green goblins were pretty tasty though.
  • edited October 2009
    You're gonna have to explain fried Coke, that one boggles my mind.
  • edited October 2009
    I just read up on it... apparently it's Coke-flavored batter that's covered with Coke syrup and whipped cream.
  • edited October 2009
    Yeah, that's it. Think of a donut hole without the glaze, with coke syrup and powdered sugar on top.
  • edited October 2009
    You guys might just be on to something there...
  • edited October 2009
    Not really. I tried it, it wasn't that great.

Fried snickers though--- holy shit. That stuff is amazing. Imagine an eclair with melted snickers filling. With powdered sugar on top.
  • edited October 2009
    deja vu.

edit:
    Mish42 wrote: »
    Hahaha as soon as you said deep fried coke I thought "Hey I think I tried that once at the fair"

It was GROSS. I think the Texas State Fair deep fries just about anything imaginable. And then some. Seriously! I've tried a few of them, just for kicks... best thing I've ever had was the fried Snickers bar, that was awesome. This past year all I tried was the fried peanut butter and banana sandwich, and that was too gross to finish.

By the way, fried coke was just like a ball of batter that had coke poured on it with powdered sugar sprinkled on top. It did not taste like coke, it tasted like... bad.

On an unrelated note, isn't Texas supposed to be one of the fattest states in America?

EDIT: Maybe just where I come from.

http://calorielab.com/news/2008/05/12/fat-cities-fit-cities-and-americas-junk-food-capitals/
  • edited October 2009
    BEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So, I don't know if I ever mentioned it, but after my minor success with Mr. Beer I started making beer the right way. I just bottled a dunkelweizen and started an oatmeal stout last week. The dunkelweizen I am drinking now and it is delicious, and I'm really excited about the oatmeal stout.
    Oatmeal stout ingredients:
    Picture008.jpg
    Dunkelweizen ready to be bottled:
    Picture002.jpg
    Bottler:
    Picture006.jpg
    BEER!:
    Picture-1.jpg
  • edited October 2009
    Holy shit that is amazing Adam
  • edited October 2009
    YESSSS. Homebrew is AWESOME.
  • edited October 2009
    God that looks delicious
  • edited November 2009
    The oatmeal stout (the one I started after I bottled the dunkelweizen) is ready for drinkin!
    Picture029.jpg
  • edited November 2009
    ADAM THE BREWMASTER
  • edited November 2009
    That's a lot of Grolsch bottles.
  • edited November 2009
    They're very good bottles.
  • edited November 2009
    That is AWESOME.
  • edited January 2010
    Hungry-man Hero:
    Picture002-2.jpg
    Most delis put potatoes in, too. But this is good enough.
  • edited January 2010
    ... Huh. I've never seen a sandwich like that. What's in it?
  • edited January 2010
    A hungry-man is a standard food item at every deli in NY. It has 3-6 eggs (the cheap places only have 3), bacon, sausage, ham, cheese and usually home fries. The deli on my street is slightly cheap, so they do not include any potatoes.
  • edited January 2010
    Huh. Never heard of it! Looks good though.