I Love Where This Thread Is Going

Comments

• edited April 2007
    ((Shall I get the Emo music for you again, Night Lord?))
  • edited April 2007
    ((Please do))

((PS: Ungood oldspeak, NL speech malreported. Rectify.)
  • edited April 2007
    ((I just finished writing the Explorers story, and will be getting to the Guards tomorrow. Turn 7 is now closed, so no one post anything for it! Anyone that wants to join in on the game anew will have to wait until Turn 8 is up, hopefully some time tomorrow night, possibly Saturday. Enjoy anticipation!))
  • edited April 2007
    ((
    hopefully some time tomorrow night

AHEM))
  • edited April 2007
    ((Cute. I also provided Saturday as an option. Stef and I went to see Hot Fuzz last night. It rocked.))
  • edited April 2007
    ((But that is another topic for another thread, hmm? While we all love Hot Fuzz, we love our elaborate little role playing game even more....*nudge nudge, wink wink*))

((EDIT: Wow...that sounds really perverse....))
  • edited April 2007
    ((I am so pissed, Hot Fuzz isn't playing in my city, dispite the fact that we have 2 multiplex theaters.))
  • edited April 2007
    ((Apparently it's playing in the theater that the bus doesn't go to, so I have to find a ride. In my anger, I burned down the mall. Though that may have been from all the video games I play...))
  • edited April 2007
    ((Download it off of the internet, then paypal £7.50 to Simon Pegg)
  • edited April 2007
    ((My school has a choke hold on all torrenting, it'd take me weeks to get a movie. And I usually feel bad when I pirate things that actually deserve to get my money.))
  • edited April 2007
    ((Please do not condone movie piracy on the forums, kthx))
  • edited April 2007
    ((That's why I said he should send Simon Pegg £7.50, so he gets the money back. Anyway, all the copies of it on the net suck, so I doubt people will want to download it))
  • edited April 2007
    ((That is not a sufficient retraction of your post.))
  • edited April 2007
    ((The only conclusion to be drawn from all this is that the President does not want the Midwest to experience Hot Fuzz. I wonder why he has it in for you guys.))
  • edited April 2007
    ((Okay, there was a hell of a lot to write this time, so please let me know if I forgot to include your character.))

[size=+3]Episode 1, Turn 8: The Explorers[/size]

Takeru and Trireme wake up with a jolt from their naps, refreshed and fully recovered from inebriation (though with a slight headache for Takeru, much to his confusion). They might even be in sufficient control of their facilities to make intelligent decisions! Well, let's not go crazy here. MrCheeze also regains consciousness and sobriety, and paddles back to the rocky shore and onto the island with the rest of the gang.

((Quick note: characters that take naps will automatically move along with the crowd. Since everyone decided to descend the stairs with or without light sources, those who woke from a nap are also going down the stairs. If they had already been asleep, NPC sailors would have carried them. So those who woke up can choose from the actions of the rest of the gang.))

The rest of the gang, coincidentally, is busy making decisions as to how to respond to the mysterious staircase under the door. While some (god, hlavco, Melted Jhonnycake and deku12345 among them) think it best to check themselves for items that may assist in illuminating the dark passage, others (such as NoLonger and Amoeba Boy) boldly plunge blindly onward and descend the stairs ahead of the others. Amoeba Boy quickly trips on the first step, crashing into the seagull and sending the two of them tumbling down into the darkness. Someone probably should go after them and see if they're all right.

For those who checked their pockets like responsible chronic drinker sailors, this is what they found:

-Amidst a handful of change and a golf pencil, god finds a pair of cheap-looking plastic sunglasses. This would seem to be pretty much the opposite of what he was looking for, but he puts them on anyway, only to find that the shades illuminate the darkest places when worn! He muses that he can wear his sunglasses at night, so he can so he can, watch you weave then breathe your story lines. It occurs to him that he doesn't know what that means. The glasses do not project light, so they only provide clarity of vision to the wearer.

-hlavco glances down toward his pocket and finds a large-ish dagger sticking out. This would explain the sharp jabbing pain he's been feeling all day every time he takes a step. Engraved on the blade are letters in Sindarin, which read "Maegnas aen estar nin dagnir in yngyl im". Luckily, hlavco took a conversational Sindarin course in community college, and easily translates this to "Maegnas is my name, I am the spider's bane". In another stroke of luck, hlavco's Introduction to Ancient Middle-earth Weaponry Lore course informed him that this was the inscription on Sting, the mystical blade wielded by Bilbo and Frodo Baggins! It has the magical ability to glow a bright blue whenever orcs are near, which will make it perfect for lighting the path... if only there were any orcs around. Oh well, it's still a pretty cool dagger.

-Melted Jhonnycake reaches into his pocket and feels a small, triangle-shaped object. He pulls it out to find that it is the legendary Triforce of Courage! He hopes Link won't miss it for awhile, and worries a little bit about how he came to possess it (perhaps he is some sort of master cat burglar in his sleep, but this is only idle speculation on his part at this point). In addition to emanating a brilliant yellow glow, the golden triangle infuses him with the courage needed to plunge down the stairs and do some adventuring! He also has a sudden desire to go into people's houses and break all their pots, but that may be unrelated.

-As deku12345 begins to glance toward his own pocket, he suddenly notices a peculiar smell emanating from it, something like burning cloth. Reaching his hand inside, he feels a similarly peculiar burning sensation on his fingers. As he removes his hand, he sees that his hand is on fire. It's a good thing he's still got a little alcohol in his system to dull his pain receptors, or else this would probably hurt a lot more. His hand quickly becomes engulfed in flame, casting a bright flickering light around him. This will be perfect for stair-descent, he muses to himself, as he happily skips down the stairs.

(god, NoLonger, Melted Jhonnycake and Amoeba Boy, incidentally, drink heavily from their flasks, or in NoLonger's case, Amoeba Boy's unguarded flask, between yelps of pain as they fall down the stairs together.)

After a short deliberation, geoko decides to take a chance and try once again to summon his familiar. Taking a sip from his flask, he mumbles the incantation as best as he can manage, though all the booze is making it difficult for him to say anything without slurring. There is a brief flash of light and a puff of smoke. As the smoke dissipates, a short, thin man in a long-sleeve button-up shirt and tie emerges. He pushes his glasses back and explains that he is geoko's familiar...'s accountant, Carlyle. He apologizes for the mixup and hopes that geoko can get his familiar-summoning thing under control soon. In the meantime, he would be glad to help out in any way he can, though lighting up stairways isn't his strong suit. However, he maintains, he's a whiz with numbers, so if there's any on-the-spot calculating necessary, Carlyle is your man.

Newly-equipped, the gang follows Amoeba Boy and NoLonger down the stairs. The sounds of the pair crashing ever downward continues to echo up to the main group. Though the group is mostly committed to the descent at this point, it's not too late to turn around if it's getting a bit too scary around here, or if you're hungry (Amoeba Boy's got the coconut snacks, so unless you go back up top, you can't eat until you catch up with him). Before they can decide how to proceed, everyone suddenly hears a low growling sound. Is it a grue? An earthquake? Carlyle's growling stomach? Only a little exploration will tell. Good thing you guys are the Explorers!

[size=+2]Actions[/size]

Explorers, you:

<L> ook around for things of interest (if you can see in the dark)
    <F> eel around blindly (if you can't see in the dark)
    <E> at a coconut (if you're with Amoeba Boy)
    Use an equipped <item>, if you feel it appropriate
    <R> eturn to the surface
    <DR> ink
  • edited April 2007
    [size=+3]Episode 1, Turn 8: The Guards[/size]

Back on the shipwreck, X'o'Lore attempts to strike up a conversation with Agentcel regarding what's happened the last few turns. Agentcel mumbles something about a shipwreck and everyone taking turns getting drunk and going fishing, and that a few people struck off toward that rock island and disappeared, before settling down on the deck for a nice relaxing nap.

Mish42 decides to get a better feel for her surroundings. The ship's deck is littered with empty beer bottles and sailors starting to feel the effects of their binge-drinking. There is still plenty of alcohol to go around. The sun is beating down heavily upon the crew's collective brows. Perhaps it would be best to find cover from the sun's rays, or a cold non-alcoholic drink to replenish fluids. Either one might be found below-decks. The more conscious crewmates seem to be occupying themselves with fishing or musket-shooting. Mish42 starts to cross the deck, when she slips and falls on a wayward bottle. Silently cursing her clumsiness, she notices a rope tied to the deck a few feet away. The rope appears to extend over the railing and into the sea, and looks to be pulled taut, almost as if someone had thrown something overboard while tied down so as to conceal its presence. A tentative tug tells her that it would not be difficult to hoist the mystery object onboard.

Night Lord returns his fishing line to the sea, quickly snagging the seagulls previously shot out of the sky. The dead birds are a little soggy, but there should be enough meat between the three of them to cook up something tasty. However, one of the seagulls looks a little strange. Its plumage has a brighter sheen than the others, and there's a small sticky note attached to its chest. The note reads:

"Congratulations on your purchase of the Cookware Seagull 5000™! To use, simply wave above your head and state the desired food preparation item aloud, and it shall appear. Whether you need a dash of oregano or a deep frier, the Cookware Seagull 5000™ can provide! But BE FOREWARNED: do not attempt to summon something unrelated to cookware. We won't tell you why, but rest assured, bad stuff will go down. No refunds."

Night Lord grasps the Cookware Seagull 5000™ in his hands, wondering what sort of utensils, spices and appliances would best suit the preparation of two dead water-logged birds.

Hamelin dives into the shallow waters and paddles after the wayward boxes. He is barely able to grab onto the middle box and push it back to the rocks before the others are carried far out to sea by the current. Hopefully there wasn't anything important in those. Hamelin slowly lifts the lid off of the crate and peers inside, where he finds a sizable pile of gold coins! Before he can properly express his excitement at the find, it suddenly occurs to him to wonder where such a treasure came from. They weren't on any treasure-hunting expedition as far as he could remember (though with all he booze in his system, such a thing could have slipped his mind), which would suggest they were transporting this to their destination. For that matter, where was this ship going? And why would they need so much spending money? He continues to query to himself as he stuffs handfuls of coins into his pockets, walking back to the ship afterward. He whistles idly with his hands in his pockets, hoping that this will sufficiently convince the others that he hasn't been up to anything suspicious.

Among the crew members that didn't notice his little adventure is illithid235, who ultimately decides to take a chance and swallow the mysterious pearl. He places the pearl in his mouth, chugs a sizable amount of ale, and swallows. The pearl lands in his stomach with a small thud (not that you could hear it from outside his stomach). Almost immediately, his skin begins to glow the same faint light that the pearl had been. The glowing begins to intensify, becoming brighter and brighter until nearby sailors are forced to shield their eyes. And then, as quickly as it started, the light fades, allowing the sailors to get back to some important drinking. illithid235 laments not knowing exactly what the pearl does, but it seems to have taken its effect. He supposes he could try and see just what sort of new ability he has gained, but such testing could prove somewhat dangerous if it doesn't pan out. A jump off the plank would show if he has the power of flight, or it would send him plummeting down into the cold ocean, where he was pretty sure a sea serpent lived. He spots a dagger lying on the deck a few inches from his foot and surmises that he could stab his hand to see if he is impervious to injury and pain... but that could injure and pain him. Picking a fight with Gregor, the buff sailor resting a few feet away, might allow him to test superhuman strength, but he could very easily get his ass kicked if he's wrong. The odds of the power being something else entirely doesn't immediately occur to him.

rightclickscott swims out into the open ocean toward imaginary pirate ships. Unfortunately, the fact that he is the drunkest member of the crew is starting to take its toll on his navigating abilities. Though he perceives himself as swimming straight out from the ship, he starts to veer to the left. It doesn't help that a thick fog begins to slowly roll in, covering his immediate area. By the time he turns around to get his bearings, his vision has become completely obscured. Feeling tired, drunk and a bit soggy, he realizes that he probably ought to find solid ground of some sort, and his ship would certainly provide such stability. He may need to resort to calling out for help, and hope that someone on the ship calls back and leads him to safety. Then again, that pirate ship he (thought he) saw would also be pretty nifty, especially since it's full of cool pirates. He's pretty sure he knows which way it went, and could let out a hearty "Yarrrr!" so that they might find him and pull him onboard.

After seeing all the crazy shit everyone else has fished up, Slick casts his pole into the sea and crosses his fingers for a magical talisman or a blue key or a talking octopus or something cool. However, he gets pretty much the least-expected thing imaginable: a regular fish! Guess you can't win them all. The fish could make a pretty tasty meal though.

[size=+2]Actions[/size]

Guards, you:

<G> o to the rock island and look for the Explorers
    Use a <M> usket
    Use a <F> ishing pole
    Use an equipped <item>, if you like; it's your item, after all!
    <DR> ink

Mish42, you:

Go <B> elow-decks
    <P> ull the rope and hoist the mystery cargo aboard
    <DR> ink
    (or do other guard things)

illithid235, you:

<J> ump off the plank to test your power of flight
    <S> tab your hand with a knife to test your power of invulnerability
    Pick a fight with <GREGOR> to test your power of super-strength
    <DR> ink to test your power of getting drunk

rightclickscott, you:

<C> all out for help
    Call out "<Y>arrrr!" for pirate help
    <DR> ink
  • edited April 2007
    [size=+3]Episode 1, Turn 8: Status At End Of Turn[/size]

Agentcel (Guard, Sailor) (equipment: musket (weapon)) {.018} (NAPPING)
    Amoeba Boy (Explorer, Sailor) (equipment: coconuts (food)) {.051}
    deku12345 (Explorer, Sailor) (equipment: shovel, fire (weapon; see in dark)) {.015} (HAND ON FIRE)
    geoko (Explorer, Sailor, Mage (summon familiar)) (equipment: none) {.078} (SUMMONED: Carlyle the Familiar's Accountant)
    god (Explorer, Sailor) (equipment: magic sunglasses (see in dark)) {.06}
    Hamelin (Guard, Sailor) (equipment: gold coins) {.027}
    hlavco (Explorer, Sailor) (equipment: Sting (weapon; see in dark in presence of orcs)) {.012}
    illithid235 (Explorer, Sailor) (equipment: pearl (unknown effect)) {.057}
    Melted Jhonnycake (Explorer, Sailor) (equipment: Triforce of Courage (see in dark; infuse with courage)) {.06}
    Mish42 (Guard, Sailor) (equipment: none) {.021}
    MrCheeze (Explorer, Sailor) (equipment: none) {sober}
    Night Lord (Guard, Sailor, Chef (prepare food)) (equipment: fishing pole, Cookware Seagull 5000™ (summon cooking accessories)) {.027}
    NoLonger (Explorer, Seagull (flight; animal speech; no actions requiring thumbs)) (equipment: none) {.06}
    rightclickscott (Guard, Sailor) (equipment: push-broom) {.084}
    Slick (Guard, Sailor) (equipment: fishing pole, fish (food)) {.078}
    Takeru (Explorer, Sailor) (equipment: none) {sober}
    Trireme (Explorer, Sailor) (equipment: none) {sober}
    X'o'Lore (Guard, Sailor, Half-merman (breathe underwater; marine animal speech)) (equipment: none) {.012}
  • edited April 2007
    I like interesting!

I <L> ook around for things of interest
  • edited April 2007
    Hlavco follows everyone else down the stairs, despite not being able to see in the dark. Nothing like a challenge! Hlavco <F>eels around blindly to his front and sides.

//my avatar is ironic compared to my blindness\\
  • edited April 2007
    Since it would appear that having a nightmare, and feeling around in your pockets takes the same amount of time, Takeru proceeds with the rest of the group, and <F> eels his way down the stairs, all the while thinking about the hidden treasures his pockets hold within.
  • edited April 2007
    // *Munch munch munch*
    <F>eel around and touch something (The wall beside the stairs?)
    <T>rip
  • godgod
    edited April 2007
    "I wear my sunglasses at night, so I can, so I can, keep track of the visions in my eyes!" I mutter to myself. "While she's deceiving me, it cuts my security."

Wearing my magical shades, I search the area, <L>ooking for any people, passages, and especially booze. As I continue to <DR>ink, I wonder if my golf pencil could be used as an improvised weapon.
  • edited April 2007
    Even though, if he let out a "Yarrr!" like he so desperately wanted to, he would probably get picked up by his shipmates on the cruise ship, which, last time he read, was named the S.S. Puff & Stuff. Then again, he was drunk as hell, so following whatever he said would not be a great idea. Since he had nothing around him to drink, he waded around for a while, until he inadvertantly let out a loud "<Y>arrr!"
  • edited April 2007
    I'll use a <F>ishing pole.
  • edited April 2007
    ((Among the crew members who didn't notice his little adventure? Whose adventure did I not notice?))
  • edited April 2007
    ((See previous paragraph. Hamelin went on a little adventure diving into the ocean and fetching a box full of gold coins, but your character did not notice.

Agentcel, you took a nap last turn, which means you wake up this turn, which means you don't get to choose another action until next turn. The only action you can choose is to wake up.))
  • edited April 2007
    //EDIT: gah, replied to illithid, but mario beat me to it. DELETED.
    mario wrote: »
    Mish42, you:

Go <B> elow-decks
    <P> ull the rope and hoist the mystery cargo aboard
    <DR> ink

illithid235, you:

<J> ump off the plank to test your power of flight
    <S> tab your hand with a knife to test your power of invulnerability
    Pick a fight with <GREGOR> to test your power of super-strength
    <DR> ink to test your power of getting drunk

// Mish... please Jump to test your power of flight through a loophole in the system. I'll love you forever.
  • edited April 2007
    I'll not waste the fish. It could come in handy.
    I <G>o to the rock island and look for the Explorers
  • edited April 2007
    ((Uh... "(or do other guard things)" refers to Mish being allowed to choose from the set of actions offered to generic Guards:
    Guards, you:

<G> o to the rock island and look for the Explorers
    Use a <M> usket
    Use a <F> ishing pole
    Use an equipped <item>, if you like; it's your item, after all!
    <DR> ink

She doesn't get to choose from the actions of fellow guards being offered unique actions. Quit causing trouble and take your turn!))
  • edited April 2007
    Hold <Cookware Seagull 5000™> Aloft and cries "I need a rotisserie oven, A Marinade Syringe, A plastic mixing bowl, A mixing spoon, A cup, An apron that says 'Kiss the Chef' and the following ingredients:
    2 cups dry red wine
    ½ cup olive oil
    1⁄4 cup soy or teriyaki sauce
    4 scallions, sliced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated"

Then

<Plucks Seagulls while waiting>